Random Thread of Photography

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hey, guys - can I ask your opinions? These aren't fantastic or anything, but I'm trying to pick what to submit to State Fair Photo Salon.

You can submit up to four photos. They have to be from different categories, so I can only select up to one in each of the categories I used for the names (like "bw person" is black and white person, while "color person" is a color photo of a person, and a different category so I could do one of each).

Would you guys leaving me your input? If you wouldn't mind, I can send you the Google Drive link.

• Friendly
Reactions: Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Question for all, how do you decide what looks right on your monitor? Images I edit on my desktop with Dell HD monitor look a bit dark on my Acer laptop, as in black level on "exposure". Thinking of doing some test prints to see which is closest to being calibrated correctly. Maybe use National Camera here locally, a honest to goodness real pro shop that is getting by in the word of internet ordering. Of course it's always going to look a bit different across the myriad of monitors and phones but would at least like to start from the right place.

Also, getting a little frustrated with posting to FB, both my own feed and a photography group here in Mn. Seems working with their compression system is a moving target. Was posting things to some groups as 2080 pixel wide jpeg. Now thinking of dropping down to their next supposed compression level of 1200 pixel. The downsized stuff in the newsfeed isn't sharp and opening it still isn't great unless you clip on it a 2nd time.

And, are we ever going to get past the old print formats of 5x7, 8x10 etc?

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Question for all, how do you decide what looks right on your monitor? Images I edit on my desktop with Dell HD monitor look a bit dark on my Acer laptop, as in black level on "exposure". Thinking of doing some test prints to see which is closest to being calibrated correctly. Maybe use National Camera here locally, a honest to goodness real pro shop that is getting by in the word of internet ordering. Of course it's always going to look a bit different across the myriad of monitors and phones but would at least like to start from the right place.

Also, getting a little frustrated with posting to FB, both my own feed and a photography group here in Mn. Seems working with their compression system is a moving target. Was posting things to some groups as 2080 pixel wide jpeg. Now thinking of dropping down to their next supposed compression level of 1200 pixel. The downsized stuff in the newsfeed isn't sharp and opening it still isn't great unless you clip on it a 2nd time.

I've sort of retired from it, but I did portrait photography as a side-hustle. I tend to always edit photos on my home laptop, which has a really good graphics card - but I find it's a little dark when I look at photos from there on other monitors. As such, I tend to modify the brightness and exposure to account for it.

But you're right, FB and Instagram just obliterate high resolution. :(

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Hey, guys - can I ask your opinions? These aren't fantastic or anything, but I'm trying to pick what to submit to State Fair Photo Salon.

You can submit up to four photos. They have to be from different categories, so I can only select up to one in each of the categories I used for the names (like "bw person" is black and white person, while "color person" is a color photo of a person, and a different category so I could do one of each).

Would you guys leaving me your input? If you wouldn't mind, I can send you the Google Drive link.
I would be more than happy to look at some of your photos

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I would be more than happy to look at some of your photos

I will PM you the link so I don't spam here - I'd be forever grateful! I know they're not great or anything, but I figure I have something in there to submit!

I can submit up to four, only one from each category!

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA

Not sure what the right answer is here, but I'll provide my best guess for an answer. I just got a color calibrator for my computer to improve color. As far as prints, I've noticed across print companies they can be different shades of darkness too. I've used Nations photo lab, Christian photo for local, and Bay Photo Lab. I've noticed my computer is actually brighter than most, so I have to really pay attention to the histogram on lightroom/photoshop to the best of my ability so they print ok. The farther right the image is as a whole, the brighter it'll be. So to be an evenly exposed photo make sure your darks and highlights aren't clipped and the histogram can show an evenness to it. Clipping will show those triangles in the corners as being lit up. When shooting out in the field, make sure you're trying to shoot as bright as possible, without blowing out your sky or your highlights.

I hope this helps. Let me know if it does! If anyone has any luck with print companies that's a good open discussion topic too. I find Bay Photo does a great job, especially on metals, it's just pricey. I probably use Nation Photo Lab the most.

Reactions: Angie and BoxsterCy

4theCYcle

Jul 14, 2013
Urbandale, IA
I will PM you the link so I don't spam here - I'd be forever grateful! I know they're not great or anything, but I figure I have something in there to submit!

Send it my way as well! Your post reminded me that maybe I should try submitting again. I tried a couple years ago and got denied. My photos tend to be "over edited" from their perspective so it left a bad taste in my mouth. I know my photos don't sit well with purists, since I view it as art and how my eyes would like or do so something from a creativity standpoint.

PS - when are those due?

• Friendly

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

Once you get the other opinions and decide which to submit let us know. It would be interesting to know

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Send it my way as well! Your post reminded me that maybe I should try submitting again. I tried a couple years ago and got denied. My photos tend to be "over edited" from their perspective so it left a bad taste in my mouth. I know my photos don't sit well with purists, since I view it as art and how my eyes would like or do so something from a creativity standpoint.

PS - when are those due?

I'll send it right now, and just sent it to @mark42 !! I am so grateful - I always worry that I "under edit," and so I worry that I won't be able to get in due to that!

I'm super early - deadline is June 18-19, but I want time to get prints made up! RULES and categories

Once you get the other opinions and decide which to submit let us know. It would be interesting to know

I promise! I get so antsy - I can't objectively judge my own work at all.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'll send it right now, and just sent it to @mark42 !! I am so grateful - I always worry that I "under edit," and so I worry that I won't be able to get in due to that!

I'm super early - deadline is June 18-19, but I want time to get prints made up! RULES and categories

I promise! I get so antsy - I can't objectively judge my own work at all.

Man, lot of work with printing, dry mounting and submitting. Kinda like my city contest better. They usually have a theme for the year that no really seems to hit but allow anything as long as it is a scene from the city. It's easy cause it is just a digital submittal. Being a 2020's hermit my pictures are all birds but I've never been good with people pictures anyway. I should try and get a picture of the neighbor gals who goes walkabout with a colorful sun umbrella. Always catches my eye and has the potential for a good people pic.

• Friendly
Reactions: NWICY and Angie

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron