Random Thread of Photography

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Where fall pics, photo peeps?

Been doing walkabouts pretending I am still shooting Kodachrome slides.

Kodachrome
They give us those nice bright colors
They give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama, don't take my Kodachrome away

Virginia creeper and riverbank grape on tree trunk in Teddy Wirth Park. creeper n grape vines 1000x15000 cf scale.jpg

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis

Kodachrome
I got a Nikon camera

Virginia creeper and riverbank grape on tree trunk in Teddy Wirth Park. View attachment 76343
I've been busy these past couple weeks but the leave change has been beautiful. We aren't far from Theo Wirth and haven't made it down yet, but we were out in buffalo and stillwater the past couple weeks and it has been awesome to drive through everything. Colors are so vibrant rn.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA

Kodachrome
I got a Nikon camera

Virginia creeper and riverbank grape on tree trunk in Teddy Wirth Park. View attachment 76343

That is so pretty!

I've been doing entirely portrait sessions, so not really anything I can share. But those leaves are on fire!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
My goofy red maple turns yellow/orange each year except for a single branch that does turn red when the rest of the tree is still green. No usually as sharp a contrast as this year. Everything is pretty much rocking the color up here.

red maple branch CF scale.jpg

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Just switched my phone background over to this less than an hour ago. Taken outside the University of Minnesota football stadium. (TCF Bank Stadium, correct?)

20161008_123039_compress91.jpg

Reactions: Angie

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Just switched my phone background over to this less than an hour ago. Taken outside the University of Minnesota football stadium. (TCF Bank Stadium, correct?)

View attachment 76371

1) When compressing this pic to post it, it took out a noticeable amount of red
2) This was taken exactly 4 years ago today

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I have no idea what is a good pic or not or how appropriately “grade” them so feel free to critique. However, I was thumbing through old pics the the other day looking for something else when I came across this one I took a few years ago in Glacier NP. I believe it was on what’s called the Highline trail.

803743F3-7BE6-462A-AFFE-4BED52E7D3B7.jpeg

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Hey, crazy photo peeps, gotta question for you all. Any of you have one of the bridge camera super-zooms? Been thinking about getting something in that category as a walkabout or travel carry. Keep seeing and missing pictures that are beyond cell phone capability on my daily walkabouts. Have my Nikon D7500 and 80-400mm for birding walkabouts but looking for something to carry in the car and for casual walkabouts not focused on photography (opportunityish). Not looking at this point at pocket size, been leaning some to the bigger bridge cams. Looking at Panasonic Lumix FZ80 and FZ300 and Canon SX70. The FZ300 has less zoom at 600mm but not sure anything out at 1200mm is going to really be that useful. The FZ300 is at least weather sealed somewhat. Anyone have any of these or similar?

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Hey, crazy photo peeps, gotta question for you all. Any of you have one of the bridge camera super-zooms? Been thinking about getting something in that category as a walkabout or travel carry. Keep seeing and missing pictures that are beyond cell phone capability on my daily walkabouts. Have my Nikon D7500 and 80-400mm for birding walkabouts but looking for something to carry in the car and for casual walkabouts not focused on photography (opportunityish). Not looking at this point at pocket size, been leaning some to the bigger bridge cams. Looking at Panasonic Lumix FZ80 and FZ300 and Canon SX70. The FZ300 has less zoom at 600mm but not sure anything out at 1200mm is going to really be that useful. The FZ300 is at least weather sealed somewhat. Anyone have any of these or similar?
My wife and I had a Canon s2 close to 15 years ago so not exactly an up to date comparison. Looking at the specs on Wikipedia says it was 5mp and 12x zoom but this model would eventually turn into the sx series. We wanted a good camera when we went to Costa Rica and dslr cameras were quite spendy back then. It was a nice camera though and you could get really good pictures with it. It was also a good size and you didn't feel like you would accidentally drop it, especially since it wasn't just a little square thing. I'm speaking from experience because i have dropped somebody else's pocket camera down a mountain, luckily it was in a case and we eventually found it unharmed. We eventually upgraded to a dslr and i remember noticing that it was a bit bigger than that s2. The specs on those ones you listed are pretty impressive. We have only had Canon cameras so I can't speak for the Panasonic quality but those look to be quite a bit cheaper for about the same specs. A few years after we got a dslr my wife wanted a pocket camera for the sole purpose of having a camera you could keep handy instead of getting the big one out, I haven't dropped that one yet.

Reactions: Angie

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
My wife and I had a Canon s2 close to 15 years ago so not exactly an up to date comparison. Looking at the specs on Wikipedia says it was 5mp and 12x zoom but this model would eventually turn into the sx series. We wanted a good camera when we went to Costa Rica and dslr cameras were quite spendy back then. It was a nice camera though and you could get really good pictures with it. It was also a good size and you didn't feel like you would accidentally drop it, especially since it wasn't just a little square thing. I'm speaking from experience because i have dropped somebody else's pocket camera down a mountain, luckily it was in a case and we eventually found it unharmed. We eventually upgraded to a dslr and i remember noticing that it was a bit bigger than that s2. The specs on those ones you listed are pretty impressive. We have only had Canon cameras so I can't speak for the Panasonic quality but those look to be quite a bit cheaper for about the same specs. A few years after we got a dslr my wife wanted a pocket camera for the sole purpose of having a camera you could keep handy instead of getting the big one out, I haven't dropped that one yet.
My first digital camera was a Canon S2IS and I thought it took great photos
Grand Canyon.JPG
Rushmore.JPG

Reactions: do4CY and Angie

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Went eagle hunting today and found a pair three miles from my house by Cedar Lake ponds. Rusty after a winter not chasing birds and my Nikon D7500 was set to the spot focus I use for perched bird and dumbass me couldn't remember how to change to something better for a bird in flight but managed one in focus (minor miracle).

eagle flight cedar lake pond 1000x1000.jpg

What I call the law of twigs came into play for the pictures of the two eagles perched. There shall always be a twig or branch in the foreground or background that detracts from a bird picture in a tree.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I have a Galaxy S10+ and all these images were taken with it.

Here's an image I really like that I took in the first snowstorm we had at my house in Texas in early January. This was late at night but the clouds, snow, and city light pollution made it seem more like a winter twilight:

Before the Valentine's week arctic blast struck Texas, I managed to get in a camping trip with a friend at a nearby campground on Lake 'O the Pines:

And here's the morning after I picked up 11" of snow in one night in Texas (taken 2/15/21):

Reactions: NWICY