Random Thoughts XI (Eleven Pipers Piping)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
How old is he? Just wondering because the older I get the less change seems appealing in certain things. Job would probably be up there.

61. He is in what I would call a toxic environment as a manger with an ******* of a boss. They have lost countless people because of this guy and never made any changes. I believe he wants out to get into a better environment with less stress, responsibilities, etc. for the right price (willing to take a pay cut to an extent). If he stays at his current job he will retire pretty much right at 65. If he were to get out and it works out he said he would be willing to give it a couple more years past that.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
61. He is in what I would call a toxic environment as a manger with an ******* of a boss. They have lost countless people because of this guy and never made any changes. I believe he wants out to get into a better environment with less stress, responsibilities, etc. for the right price (willing to take a pay cut to an extent). If he stays at his current job he will retire pretty much right at 65. If he were to get out and it works out he said he would be willing to give it a couple more years past that.
Your post made me think about, what if. I realized I have never actually produced a cover letter and every job I had, I turned in the resume after being hired so I just threw stuff together. I think I'm in trouble if I decided to career change.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Your post made me think about, what if. I realized I have never actually produced a cover letter and every job I had, I turned in the resume after being hired so I just threw stuff together. I think I'm in trouble if I decided to career change.

Meh. I told him after he told me that yesterday that even though I have a cover letter and regularly submit one when applying I have never heard a hiring manager say "they had a really good/bad cover letter". I do hear about their resumes but most of that goes away after an interview anyway and is more or less a formality past that point.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

I don't think I could handle working for a toxic avenger at my age. Hell, I couldn't handle it when I was 20-something. The only job I have ever quit was my first design office job here in the Twin Cities. Working for this guy was eating me up and keeping me awake at night. Just walked in one day and quit. Ended up carpentering for a year or two before landing the job I ended up retiring from. Even carpentering outside in the Minnesota winter for less money was better than working for the asshat I had been working for.

If I was in that situation again I'd again just quit but now I'd go to work for Pants. Tax Boxster would rock those Schedule A's.

That Corps job ended up being a perfect fit for me after a few years and I kinda wonder what would have happened to me if I had not landed that gig. Guessing remodeling man or back to Iowa (shudders) and running an oil business.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I don't think I could handle working for a toxic avenger at my age. Hell, I couldn't handle it when I was 20-something. The only job I have ever quit was my first design office job here in the Twin Cities. Working for this guy was eating me up and keeping me awake at night. Just walked in one day and quit. Ended up carpentering for a year or two before landing the job I ended up retiring from. Even carpentering outside in the Minnesota winter for less money was better than working for the asshat I had been working for.

If I was in that situation again I'd again just quit but now I'd go to work for Pants. Tax Boxster would rock those Schedule A's.

That Corps job ended up being a perfect fit for me after a few years and I kinda wonder what would have happened to me if I had not landed that gig. Guessing remodeling man or back to Iowa (shudders) and running an oil business.

My parents are both in similar situations. My mom works at a school with terrible administration and constantly complains and could make as much as she does now by retiring but won't because of insurance. Dad has heart disease and she is heading for a shoulder replacement. They are basically just working to get to medicare at this point.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
-Random thought-
There's so many shows involved music like the voice, american idol etc... has anyone actually had success after winning one of those shows? I feel like everyone forgets about them when the shows over, but I guess I wouldn't really no because I don't listen to pop music. Also why don't they do hip hop in these shows? Hip hop is the most popular genre currently
Didn't get thru all the posts, but in answer to your question, yes. Carrie Underwood would be a good example. Chris Daughtry didn't win, but has a successful rock band. Kelly Clarkson is still putting out songs. David Cook and Scotty McCreery have also gone on to have good careers.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Meh. I told him after he told me that yesterday that even though I have a cover letter and regularly submit one when applying I have never heard a hiring manager say "they had a really good/bad cover letter". I do hear about their resumes but most of that goes away after an interview anyway and is more or less a formality past that point.

I'm working on hiring someone right now and I said they had a really bad cover letter. But it really is. Reads like a high school application. They also failed to run spellcheck on their resume so the cover letter isn't the only strike.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I'm working on hiring someone right now and I said they had a really bad cover letter. But it really is. Reads like a high school application. They also failed to run spellcheck on their resume so the cover letter isn't the only strike.

But they are still getting the job? Is this whole sleeping with someone to get a job thing real? ;)

• Funny
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We are supposed to take over remote management of a client in Dec
I wouldn't have a clue what to put in a cover letter or resume in today's world. I really should look into that as this job is going to kill me.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Hopefully there's nothing inside of it..........:confused:
did-you-really-just-say-that2.png

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I was thinking of something like a half-eaten hot dog............what did you think I meant?

Back in college when I had an MGB convertible I was thinking of swapping it for a MGB-GT with a hardtop. Went to CR to test drive one from a private seller. Looked good from outside, British Racing Green (my fav). Dude gives me keys for test ride and car is full of stuff inside including a half eaten ham and cheese sandwich on the passenger seat. Weird as this was not an old beater trashmobile. And, no, did not buy the sammich car.

• Funny
Reactions: SCyclone

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
My daughter works as a nurse's assistant at Hennepin County hospital -- second shift. She was cleaning up a homeless guy, took his socks off, and a couple toes came with them.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY and SCyclone
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron