Random Thoughts 17: Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Observed today, a robin eating a small carp he just dug out of a frozen pond. Was at a little puddle opening that finally froze over in this pond north of me. I was a day late for seeing them fishing live minnows out of the opening. Little guy was an absolute savage tearing that fish carcass up. Also froze my damn fingers. Can't operate the camera with mittens or big gloves on. Really numbingly cold digits.

Reactions: Fishhead

stormchaser2014

Mar 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I90 was closed in both directions today for about 8 hours for a huge pileup. It just reopened and immediately there was another accident.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
it is so fun to watch David Carr interact with the crowd. I’m not sure he’ll be done signing everything here before the meet is over.
BAE0BFAE-3026-45CF-9D8B-EED3EDDDBA01.jpeg

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
Anyone here conduct interviews at their job? I have an interview next week for an accounting position. What kind of questions do you typically ask applicants? I know I am a really good employee and would be for my next job, but I hate interviews and always get nervous during them so I need to spend this week prepping doing research and work on selling myself.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Anyone here conduct interviews at their job? I have an interview next week for an accounting position. What kind of questions do you typically ask applicants? I know I am a really good employee and would be for my next job, but I hate interviews and always get nervous during them so I need to spend this week prepping doing research and work on selling myself.

Why you are interested in this role/company/why you are looking for a new role, accounting I imagine they ask about your process or how you'd approach something like a discrepancy, best practices
Have examples of hot **** you did to use as examples, especially if you solved problems or can put metrics to it. New process allowed us to invoice x days faster. Trained x people in y countries on our new process. Saved company x dollars after discovering and correcting this problem.

I'd suggest have several of your own questions ready to go:

If this is a new role or backfill
What they enjoy most about working at this company
What career dev looks like in this role
What do they see that it will take someone to be successful in this role

Good luck and remember not knowing how to do something is fine. Show a willingness and eagerness to expand your skills and learn.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Always have the confidence that it’s your job to lose. Talk about how you’ve lead in team situations, a leader but a team first person. Ask questions about the company in a way that shows you’ve researched the company and forces interaction with the interviewer. If you basically just answer their questions, they will be ho humm and kinda forget you. The ones who you can get meaningful dialogue with get excited about you.

The interview is to just lightly confirm your qualifications and to see if you fit with the rest of them. This is where extroverts have an advantage. I’m not an extrovert, but can flip that switch and be one for 30-60 minutes. The 4-6 hour (meals included ones) can challenge that though.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Always have the confidence that it’s your job to lose. Talk about how you’ve lead in team situations, a leader but a team first person. Ask questions about the company in a way that shows you’ve researched the company and forces interaction with the interviewer. If you basically just answer their questions, they will be ho humm and kinda forget you. The ones who you can get meaningful dialogue with get excited about you.

The interview is to just lightly confirm your qualifications and to see if you fit with the rest of them. This is where extroverts have an advantage. I’m not an extrovert, but can flip that switch and be one for 30-60 minutes. The 4-6 hour (meals included ones) can challenge that though.

Not having any questions at the end is just killer to me. Shows you have such little interest or can't pretend to care. I don't actually need you to be deeply passionate about the role but I need you to pretend in the interview.

And always follow up with a thank you email to those you interviewed with.

Reactions: BCClone

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Worst interview I had was (let me say I had no interest in this job and was using it to warm up for the ones I did) I went in sat down, and the guy said, it’s your time, tell me about yourself and why you want this job and fit it. I wanted questions and he wouldn’t ask a single one, so I learned to have a few personal, interesting, stories that would force at least curiosity questions then.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I interviewed for hires fairly regularly in my old job and then changed jobs 2x past yr so I interviewed upwards of 30 times. AMA lol.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Worst interview I had was (let me say I had no interest in this job and was using it to warm up for the ones I did) I went in sat down, and the guy said, it’s your time, tell me about yourself and why you want this job and fit it. I wanted questions and he wouldn’t ask a single one, so I learned to have a few personal, interesting, stories that would force at least curiosity questions then.

I always hated that tell me about yourself q. Found a script formula for 2nd round last yr and that was chefs kiss. Wonder if I can find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Support Us

Become a patron