Random Thoughts 15: Crystal Clear 2021 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
random: I'm watching "The Great Wall" Matt Damon with his dialect imitation of a white dude from Mercer Island. It takes a lot to get me out of my CGI-induced malaise. I kind of like the storyline of the brave selfless soldiers on the wall...need more of that......really good hair care for all the actors involved...I hope this got an oscar for makeup. good cinematography. How much did it cost to make this? Wowser. Producer had more money than the NBA.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
No smoke alarms have gone off since this morning so that's cool. Installed three new 10-year battery ones including a combo platter one in the basement for smoke/carbon monoxide.

Pondering replacement of the two way up high ones. Think I can, maybe, reach the bedroom one with 12-footer. Might have to build a platform on kitchen counter to put a ladder on for the one in great room.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No smoke alarms have gone off since this morning so that's cool. Installed three new 10-year battery ones including a combo platter one in the basement for smoke/carbon monoxide.

Pondering replacement of the two way up high ones. Think I can, maybe, reach the bedroom one with 12-footer. Might have to build a platform on kitchen counter to put a ladder on for the one in great room.
Brings up the safety question. Where should CO detectors in a house be placed ? We have to check for these things on certain walk throughs.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Brings up the safety question. Where should CO detectors in a house be placed ? We have to check for these things on certain walk throughs.

Got conflicting info on how close/far they should be from water heaters or furnace etc when I tried to research a little. I have a plug in one with a readout in the bedroom. Today I Installed a 10-year battery combo smoke detector/CO detector in basement hall at bottom of stairs down the hall from furnace and maybe six feet from hot water heater.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Did you end up getting tickets for this wkend?

Nope. They were offered only to season ticket holders who opted in prior to the season, and every sale has to be verified by identification. So, we're out. My buddy is looking into tickets for the Super Bowl though.

Reactions: NWICY

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Got conflicting info on how close/far they should be from water heaters or furnace etc when I tried to research a little. I have a plug in one with a readout in the bedroom. Today I Installed a 10-year battery combo smoke detector/CO detector in basement hall at bottom of stairs down the hall from furnace and maybe six feet from hot water heater.
CO detectors are best placed one per each house story and are best shoulder height approximately. Prefer them and smoke detectors near bedrooms so they wake you while sleeping. One in the same room as the furnace also since that will be the largest issue area. HUD also requires ones in attached garages.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
CO detectors are best placed one per each house story and are best shoulder height approximately. Prefer them and smoke detectors near bedrooms so they wake you while sleeping. One in the same room as the furnace also since that will be the largest issue area. HUD also requires ones in attached garages.

Pretty much what I've got except plug in monitor one with the readout is floor level. Not putting one in the garage until you can buy one designed for that use that is not too sensitive. I have heard of old peeps who have forgotten to turn off car after they park. Also imagine with all of the remote start stuff someone, like a little kid, could start the family mobile when it's parked in the garage.

Got me thinking about code for the door between garage and living are. Code was changed for single family to make these have a automatic door closer so you didn't have an open door and maybe let nasties in. Well, they found the door closers were such a pain in the ass to install and keep adjusted right that they left lots of doors not fully closed, sort of defeating the purpose. So changed the code again here to not required.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Pretty much what I've got except plug in monitor one with the readout is floor level. Not putting one in the garage until you can buy one designed for that use that is not too sensitive. I have heard of old peeps who have forgotten to turn off car after they park. Also imagine with all of the remote start stuff someone, like a little kid, could start the family mobile when it's parked in the garage.

Got me thinking about code for the door between garage and living are. Code was changed for single family to make these have a automatic door closer so you didn't have an open door and maybe let nasties in. Well, they found the door closers were such a pain in the ass to install and keep adjusted right that they left lots of doors not fully closed, sort of defeating the purpose. So changed the code again here to not required.
Yeah, I never understood the garage one. We will tell them that there just needs to be one when we are there (hint for them that they can pull it afterwards due to warming cars up and such), if the garage isn’t fully finished and heated, several will start their cars to warm them up.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Yeah, I never understood the garage one. We will tell them that there just needs to be one when we are there (hint for them that they can pull it afterwards due to warming cars up and such), if the garage isn’t fully finished and heated, several will start their cars to warm them up.
Yeah, we warm our cars up in the garage in the winter. I'm spoiled. :D

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Random #1: Been looking at this huge pile of street salt in front of my house all week. A pile inches deep that the city truck inadvertently dropped in mass. Finally shoved it up into a box. Maybe #30 or #40 worth. Maybe I'll spread it on the alley ice after the snow tonight is plowed. I don't use this stuff on my sidewalk (exposed aggregate) or in the drive (concrete block pavers).

Random #2: Side benefit of never driving anywhere, garage floor is clean and not it's usual wintery mess.

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Random #1: Been looking at this huge pile of street salt in front of my house all week. A pile inches deep that the city truck inadvertently dropped in mass. Finally shoved it up into a box. Maybe #30 or #40 worth. Maybe I'll spread it on the alley ice after the snow tonight is plowed. I don't use this stuff on my sidewalk (exposed aggregate) or in the drive (concrete block pavers).

Random #2: Side benefit of never driving anywhere, garage floor is clean and not it's usual wintery mess.

After the blizzard last week, it was really slushy, so the drive home kicked up a bunch of crap into the wheel wells and other parts of the lower body. Came back to the car in the garage, and there were matching slush lumps under the car on either side right where the front and back doors meet. My first thought was "Oh, my mom would have been mad if this was her garage." Gotta say, I wasn't all that thrilled either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron