Purdy mini camp

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013

Really hope things pick up for him, believe the source of the article is known for being pretty critical.
Purdy is the best QB to play at Iowa State. He had a 70% completion rate. His won loss percentage is incredible. He beat TX 3 years in a row, and beat every team in the Big 12. Guy should have a statue.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
Maybe I'm reading into things, but it seems like some people think Purdy's limitations as a quarterback were because he wasn't trying hard enough or didn't want to be better. He gave it his all and got to a very high level of play (prolific quarterback for a P5 football team) and then just wasn't talented enough to go further (be one of the 50 best quarterbacks on the planet). Some people dreamed Brock would accomplish more than he did, but their expectations are not his fault.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
If supporting casts are taken into account, David Archer was probably the best passer and then there is Seneca.
Naming Purdy best is comparable to naming Sullivan to all century team when he probably wasn't a top 10 guard.
I respect and happy with what Brock did, but don't get carried away with recency. The offensive line and receivers for Purdy we far better than a lot we have seen except for a few. That is why ISU has lost so many games.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
If supporting casts are taken into account, David Archer was probably the best passer and then there is Seneca.
Naming Purdy best is comparable to naming Sullivan to all century team when he probably wasn't a top 10 guard.
I respect and happy with what Brock did, but don't get carried away with recency. The offensive line and receivers for Purdy we far better than a lot we have seen except for a few. That is why ISU has lost so many games.
Hey you logged in again, was worried about you yesterday when you just disappeared when you were asked questions

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
Maybe I'm reading into things, but it seems like some people think Purdy's limitations as a quarterback were because he wasn't trying hard enough or didn't want to be better. He gave it his all and got to a very high level of play (prolific quarterback for a P5 football team) and then just wasn't talented enough to go further (be one of the 50 best quarterbacks on the planet). Some people dreamed Brock would accomplish more than he did, but their expectations are not his fault.
I don't think anyone has ever said that. Purdy's main characteristic was that he didn't quit and worked his ass off. People criticized his decision making at times and his late release on deeper plays.

TopCy

Jun 15, 2021
I don't think anyone has ever said that. Purdy's main characteristic was that he didn't quit and worked his ass off. People criticized his decision making at times and his late release on deeper plays.
I think those are valid criticisms, but it's been pretty heavily implied by some in the "Why didn't he get better after his first year?" camp that he just didn't try as hard as he could have.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I think those are valid criticisms, but it's been pretty heavily implied by some in the "Why didn't he get better after his first year?" camp that he just didn't try as hard as he could have.

Those are also people that don't understand what having a target like Hakeem Butler does for an offense or how often Butler needed to out muscle the secondary for the ball.

Purdy's numbers were great, and he was an incredible leader with limitations that are crucial for playing in the league.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Purdy issues IMO are from putting to much on himself. If you let him be a game manager naturally instead of forcing it on him I think he’s a lot better. We forced him to play the game manager role while he felt the need to be a gunslinger.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Having to run for his life during some of the most critical plays (Baylor OT) gave him opportunities for amazing successes, but were more likely to lead to tragic failures.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Seneca had a better Oline than Purdy.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Purdy is the best QB to play at Iowa State. He had a 70% completion rate. His won loss percentage is incredible. He beat TX 3 years in a row, and beat every team in the Big 12. Guy should have a statue.
And he shared the backfield with an NFL RB and multiple AC TEs every year he played here. He doesn't have an NFL arm or an Arena League release. I love what he did for us, unfortunately he's not what the NFL is looking for.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I don't think there's any doubt from those who watched Brock over the last few years that his physical tools are somewhat limited. But take a look at some 3rd string QBs in the NFL:

Matt Barkley
Mike White
Anthony Brown
Jake Browning
Josh Dobbs
Jake Luton
Davis Webb
Trace McSorley
David Blough

If you can be a good teammate, help the main guys prepare and be ready to at least fill in if need be you can find a spot.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I don't think there's any doubt from those who watched Brock over the last few years that his physical tools are somewhat limited. But take a look at some 3rd string QBs in the NFL:

Matt Barkley
Mike White
Anthony Brown
Jake Browning
Josh Dobbs
Jake Luton
Davis Webb
Trace McSorley
David Blough

If you can be a good teammate, help the main guys prepare and be ready to at least fill in if need be you can find a spot.

I thought it was crazy when I saw a story about NFL expansion.

It's rumored the next expansion will eventually get the NFL to 40 teams. There are more good QBs than back in the day, but not that damn many

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012

Matt Barkley
Mike White
Anthony Brown
Jake Browning
Josh Dobbs
Jake Luton
Davis Webb
Trace McSorley
David Blough

This

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA

Matt Barkley
Mike White
Anthony Brown
Jake Browning
Josh Dobbs
Jake Luton
Davis Webb
Trace McSorley
David Blough

Who wouldn't sign up for a job with a $250k salary that you only have to work 6-8 months out of a year. So what if he winds up as a 3rd stringer in the NFL. If he's smart he could do that for 5ish years and be sitting pretty good for a kid in his late 20's.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Who wouldn't sign up for a job with a $250k salary that you only have to work 6-8 months out of a year. So what if he winds up as a 3rd stringer in the NFL. If he's smart he could do that for 5ish years and be sitting pretty good for a kid in his late 20's.
I don’t know. Brock seems like the kind of guy that could waste all his money on hookers and blow.

:mccaffery:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

Purdy is the winningest QB in ISU history. I can make an argument on both sides that he contributed to those wins while also holding them back.

I tend to error on the side of him holding back the team. Our best roster in school history won 7 games. QB is the #1 reason for wins and losses.. Dead arm Kempt won with less of a roster.

1) Bad turnovers
2) Lack of ability to stretch the field
3) Size
4) He seems to get some tunnel vision

Overall he was a good player and a great person. ISU is a better place today than when Brock came to campus.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron