Pulling the plug on cable

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
Just cut the cord this week to You Tube TV and I already have the Disney+ bundle.

I can't believe how easy it was to do, mad at myself for not doing it earlier, saving around $100 a month I can give to We Will!

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
My BIL in CR has this and really seems to like except, he's a big Cardinals fan and can't get their games.
Its hard to find MLB with any consistency on TV anymore. It seems like it has gotten worse since the end of the Fox regional networks.

I looked into MLB Network (MLB.tv) a little, but I dont know how many that gives, and if it includes the Balley networks etc. If it included all games without blackout restrictions I would be interested. But I havent researched it enough.

I was more into baseball when I was a kid, now more of a casual fan. But if I could consistently watch a team I might get into it more again. Only being able to catch a random game here and there or home games etc makes it hard to get into it again.

I know some like YouTubeTV.

I Like Hulu Live, for the package that includes ESPN+ and Disney+, I like the channels included, and the on demand offerings, plus DVR. Also gives you access to ESPN App, Fox Sports App, etc for streaming sports.

Plus some of the content only on Hulu, Like Letterkenny is a bonus.

Edit:

I just looked up MLB.TV 's blackout rules. And they still apply. So basically if you are in central Iowa this is what it says, which sucks if you are a fan of any of these:

Live regular season games involving the following Clubs are subject to MLB.TV blackouts in the specified zip code:

• Chicago Cubs
  • Kansas City Royals
  • St. Louis Cardinals
  • Minnesota Twins
  • Chicago White Sox
  • Milwaukee Brewers

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021
Its hard to find MLB with any consistency on TV anymore. It seems like it has gotten worse since the end of the Fox regional networks.

I looked into MLB Network (MLB.tv) a little, but I dont know how many that gives, and if it includes the Balley networks etc. If it included all games without blackout restrictions I would be interested. But I havent researched it enough.

I was more into baseball when I was a kid, now more of a casual fan. But if I could consistently watch a team I might get into it more again. Only being able to catch a random game here and there or home games etc makes it hard to get into it again.

I know some like YouTubeTV.

I Like Hulu Live, for the package that includes ESPN+ and Disney+, I like the channels included, and the on demand offerings, plus DVR. Also gives you access to ESPN App, Fox Sports App, etc for streaming sports.

Plus some of the content only on Hulu, Like Letterkenny is a bonus.

Edit:

I just looked up MLB.TV 's blackout rules. And they still apply. So basically if you are in central Iowa this is what it says, which sucks if you are a fan of any of these:

Live regular season games involving the following Clubs are subject to MLB.TV blackouts in the specified zip code:

• Chicago Cubs
  • Kansas City Royals
  • St. Louis Cardinals
  • Minnesota Twins
  • Chicago White Sox
  • Milwaukee Brewers
I see the MLB is really concerned about growing interest for their sport.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Subscribed to Hulu+ Live a couple months ago after cable bill showed a $70 monthly increase on the bundle price over the next year, right before the last $20 discount I had expired. Already had the basic Hulu/ESPN+/Disney+ bundle, so added cost the first year is about $48 a month. With the Hulu bundle, the ESPN+ price increase did not hit . . . . . . yet.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
My BIL in CR has this and really seems to like except, he's a big Cardinals fan and can't get their games.
That’s not a YouTube TV problem. That’s a MLB blackout rule problem, and it really sucks.

(Although I will add once in a while YouTube TV will show a random MLB Network game as blacked out, even like Giants-Padres or something. I have to believe that’s some sort of glitch.)

Last edited:

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

It does not. Blackout rules apply to MLB.tv broadcasts. You can pay for the radio broadcasts of any team you want, but not the TV telecasts.

• Chicago Cubs
  • Kansas City Royals
  • St. Louis Cardinals
  • Minnesota Twins
  • Chicago White Sox
  • Milwaukee Brewers

It’s not just central Iowa, it’s the entire state.

Blackout rules are designed to protect ‘territories’ for teams’ regional sports networks. That would be a more valid excuse if they only applied it to areas where one could actually get a specific team’s RSN, but I’m pretty sure all six of those RSNs are not available everywhere in the state of Iowa (well, maybe with satellite providers, I dunno). In eastern Iowa the local cable companies mostly carry Marquee, so the Cubs can be found, but the other RSNs aren’t as easy to come by … and the Brewers’ RSN isn’t even available anywhere in Iowa! What the hell is MLB protecting there?

It seems to me there’s a massive amount of money on the table if MLB just offered streaming of every game, everywhere, instead of this patched-together system that’s supposed to protect both ticket sales and deals with sometimes unavailable RSNs, a system that dates back to the 1930s and major league owners being terrified that radio broadcasts of their games would cost them money at the ticket office.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Curious about the Hulu, Disney, ESPN Bundle. Obviously not Hulu live, but curious about how far delayed shows are before they are available? Does anyone have thos and could share some insight.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Curious about the Hulu, Disney, ESPN Bundle. Obviously not Hulu live, but curious about how far delayed shows are before they are available? Does anyone have thos and could share some insight.

Here is a breakdown of the differences, also talks about the add on bundles.

One thing that has changed is Hulu live now has unlimited DVR instead of just 50hrs that it used to have.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Is ESPN live events?
And is ESPN + extra?
ESPN+ is extra with Hulu and Hulu+Live. But basically with Hulu by getting ESPN+ or Disney+ you get the other free, or close to it.

Hulu+Live works just like your cable/satellite sub, with hulu/on demand incorporated all in one interface and all over internet. You have a guid for live programing, and a interface similar to Netflix to navigate on demand, and recommended, and whats on. etc.

ESPN, on Hulu Live is the same ESPN, ESPN2 channels, and does have DVR and On demand programming. ESPN+ does have some content incorporated in Hulu+Live, but for everything you have to use the native ESPN+ App.

Hulu+Live has a lot more content, and channels worth of content included that is not included with standard Hulu.

Some channels you get on Hulu+Live and have access to on demand, are not available to on demand with regular Hulu. Or some have limited content.

ESPN+ will be live and on demand.

Its been a few years since I switched from regular hulu to hulu+Live so I cant tell you how ESPN+ works with regular hulu, since I have had Hulu+Live the entire time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
ESPN+ is extra with Hulu and Hulu+Live. But basically with Hulu by getting ESPN+ or Disney+ you get the other free, or close to it.

Hulu+Live works just like your cable/satellite sub, with hulu/on demand incorporated all in one interface and all over internet. You have a guid for live programing, and a interface similar to Netflix to navigate on demand, and recommended, and whats on. etc.

ESPN, on Hulu Live is the same ESPN, ESPN2 channels, and does have DVR and On demand programming. ESPN+ does have some content incorporated in Hulu+Live, but for everything you have to use the native ESPN+ App.

Hulu+Live has a lot more content, and channels worth of content included that is not included with standard Hulu.

Some channels you get on Hulu+Live and have access to on demand, are not available to on demand with regular Hulu. Or some have limited content.

ESPN+ will be live and on demand.

Its been a few years since I switched from regular hulu to hulu+Live so I cant tell you how ESPN+ works with regular hulu, since I have had Hulu+Live the entire time.
I have Hulu live. I'm more interested in what you get with the bundle. So basically ESPN+ will get me all the Live content that's on all their channels correct?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I have Hulu live. I'm more interested in what you get with the bundle. So basically ESPN+ will get me all the Live content that's on all their channels correct?
Yes, plus more. Anything that is live you can watch live, or start already in progress, and/or watch on demand.

ESPN+ gets you all the ESPN content, Live Sports and shows like 30 for 30, from all ESPN and ABC sports, ESPN2, News, U etc, plus all the extra content, Like all the All the Big 12 tier 3 content...Mens and womens Basketball, soccer, gymnastics, softball, baseball etc. Plus more that is not regularly shown on their normal channels.

You also get access to all the extra ESPN+ only articles and content on ESPN.com.

(some content from outside programming Like MLB.tv requires separate subscription, and has blackout restrictions in place, as discussed for MLB, even though it is listed on the ESPN+ guide.)

clonebb

Oct 23, 2015
I have Directv stream because they have Marquee sports so I never miss a Cubs game.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
I have Directv stream because they have Marquee sports so I never miss a Cubs game.
That's the one thing I wish YTTV would get. Outside of that, I can't complain about them too often.

SEIACyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2017
Switched from Dish to YouTubeTV over the winter. Best decision I've made in a log time. Not much I miss about dish except some Cardinal games but that's mostly due to Blackouts. I get all the sports channels you need for ISU games minus LHN and the DVR seems to work great.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
So what if you already get Hulu for free with Verizon along with Disney+ and ESPN +. Do they still charge you the $70 to add the tv or is it discounted?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron