PS Vue in Ankeny

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
What if you don't live in Ankeny? Should Adel have its own thread?
I was asking specifically about Ankeny because certain channels are only available in certain zip codes. I was only asking about a particular channel, hence asking about Ankeny.

Oldcr

Sep 11, 2015
I started the 5 day free trial for the PlayStation Vue and I can say that I really like it. It seems to run without issue on my PS4, however it has some serious lag issues on my PS3. Does anyone else have problems with Vue not running very well on the PS3?

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I was asking specifically about Ankeny because certain channels are only available in certain zip codes. I was only asking about a particular channel, hence asking about Ankeny.

Don't worry about him. He's a *******. Everyone else knew why you specified Ankeny.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I started the 5 day free trial for the PlayStation Vue and I can say that I really like it. It seems to run without issue on my PS4, however it has some serious lag issues on my PS3. Does anyone else have problems with Vue not running very well on the PS3?
It does not run well on 11 year old hardware, no. I bought a FireTV box for my other TV that the PS4 is not plugged into. Works really well

• Agree
Reactions: 1100011CS

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014

Yeah the FPS is terrible on the PS3. I ended up getting the FireTV boxes instead.

Oldcr

Sep 11, 2015
Thanks for the info! I was thinking about going the firebox route and now I am convinced.

CyJam

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Denver, CO
Just got an email saying that the Slim package is increasing from 29.99 to 39.99 for new subscribers. My increase will begin in three months.
I was planning to change my package once football season began anyway, but maybe that package is increasing too.

Also, I recently purchased a fire TV box, and it's so much better than the Roku.

Agkistrodon

Feb 14, 2009
Just got an email saying that the Slim package is increasing from 29.99 to 39.99 for new subscribers. My increase will begin in three months.
I was planning to change my package once football season began anyway, but maybe that package is increasing too.

Also, I recently purchased a fire TV box, and it's so much better than the Roku.
I just received a similar email. I have the next package up from you, and it is also increasing by $10. I'm probably going to consider exploring other options in 3 months, because I'm not happy about paying more money for fewer channels than I had when I switched to Vue last year.

• Agree
Reactions: Boxerdaddy

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
At least they don't have contracts I guess. :rolleyes: Mine is going up from 65 to 75. I'm sure this won't be the last increase we'll see in the near future as companies try to recover the lost revenues from their cable/satellite business models.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
At least they don't have contracts I guess. :rolleyes: Mine is going up from 65 to 75. I'm sure this won't be the last increase we'll see in the near future as companies try to recover the lost revenues from their cable/satellite business models.

I was just looking into this when I saw the announcement. I thought I read they are just getting rid of the slim packages, but the non-slim packages weren't changing, so if a user was already using a non-slim, they wouldn't see an increase. Is this not true?

I still have DirecTV but it's insane (not at the bickering stage yet). Was looking through the Vue Elite package, and comparing it to my DTV favorites list. Seems the lineup is pretty comparable, at more than half the price. It does seem to be missing some of the channels my kids like (i.e. Nickelodeon...at least I didn't see it). Also only KCCI as far as local channels.

Still debating.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
Yea, everyone now gets to pay the price that was limited to markets with all locals being streamed. $45 is still a hell of a lot less than what I was paying Dish, and worst case I cancel and sign up for another service that's offering a better deal.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I was just looking into this when I saw the announcement. I thought I read they are just getting rid of the slim packages, but the non-slim packages weren't changing, so if a user was already using a non-slim, they wouldn't see an increase. Is this not true?

I still have DirecTV but it's insane (not at the bickering stage yet). Was looking through the Vue Elite package, and comparing it to my DTV favorites list. Seems the lineup is pretty comparable, at more than half the price. It does seem to be missing some of the channels my kids like (i.e. Nickelodeon...at least I didn't see it). Also only KCCI as far as local channels.

Still debating.

I believe the "slim" packages were all they offered in central Iowa when I signed up. It doesn't look like my channel lineup is changing at all. They are just removing slim from the name and upping the price. I had the elite slim package before. It's still 100 less than what DTV upped my bill to before I told them to **** off.

No, there are no Viacom channels. This includes channels like Nickelodeon, MTV, VH1, Spike and Comedy Central. All in all, I get to watch less of the garbage that my SO used to watch so it's a plus for me. My son has managed perfectly fine with the Disney Channels and Netflix.

• Informative
Reactions: enisthemenace

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
PS Vue is adding local channels to the majority of the markets across the country. The extra $10 is to cover the re-trans fees to the local affiliates and of course the parent network gets their cut as well. The re-trans fees along with advertising is how Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC can bid crazy amounts for sports rights to keep up with ESPN and FS1. I would look for the other OTT providers to adjust pricing as well as they add more local channels across the country. Too much money at stake for the major networks to lose out on the re-trans fees as people cut the cord.

The 2 great things is that there are 4-5 OTT streaming providers to use and no contracts so you can easily vote with your wallet and move on if they start jacking with prices too much. A far cry from the 2-yr contracts of the cable / satellite TV companies..

I really hope that an OTT service will provide the option to NOT have the local channels for a lower rate for those of us that can use an antenna to get OTA signals for free. I get a ton more stations OTA along with a lot of substations with a lot better picture quality and sound quality.

• Agree
Reactions: Bader and 1100011CS

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Dear xxxx,

Effective today, PlayStation Vue is transitioning Core Slim plans to a nationwide price of $44.99/mo* for new customers.

As a valued existing customer, you will keep Core Slim at the price of $34.99/mo* for 3 billing cycles until October 13, 2017. During this period, any changes to your plans will reflect the currently available pricing.

To learn more about this transition, please visit our FAQ page.

Thank you for being a valued PlayStation Vue customer and please know we continuously seek ways to enhance the service including personalized features, simultaneous streams and no annual contract.

The PlayStation™Vue Team

• Informative
Reactions: Boxerdaddy

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
PS Vue is adding local channels to the majority of the markets across the country. The extra $10 is to cover the re-trans fees to the local affiliates and of course the parent network gets their cut as well. The re-trans fees along with advertising is how Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC can bid crazy amounts for sports rights to keep up with ESPN and FS1. I would look for the other OTT providers to adjust pricing as well as they add more local channels across the country. Too much money at stake for the major networks to lose out on the re-trans fees as people cut the cord.

The 2 great things is that there are 4-5 OTT streaming providers to use and no contracts so you can easily vote with your wallet and move on if they start jacking with prices too much. A far cry from the 2-yr contracts of the cable / satellite TV companies..

I really hope that an OTT service will provide the option to NOT have the local channels for a lower rate for those of us that can use an antenna to get OTA signals for free. I get a ton more stations OTA along with a lot of substations with a lot better picture quality and sound quality.
I hope so too. I get KCCI through PSVue and the signal I get through an antenna is way better. And my "antenna" is a coax cable with the end jammed into a screw on the back of my tv. Which works great by the way.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I hope so too. I get KCCI through PSVue and the signal I get through an antenna is way better. And my "antenna" is a coax cable with the end jammed into a screw on the back of my tv. Which works great by the way.

A paperclip also works, though these are only solutions for short-range signals. I just purchased an amplified antenna from Amazon during one of their timed deals for $15. Probably worth it for HD signals.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016

Denver market???

Jmarsh13

Sep 28, 2006
Denver market???

Looks like CBS 4 and Fox 31 are already carried in Denver per the Vue website with NBC and ABC still as on-demand only.

The 4 major OTA stations just made agreements in the last 3-4 months with the majority of the local affiliates to negotiate on their behalf with the OTT services to help simplify and speed up the availability of local channels on these services. It is kind of self-serving since they saw the hand writing on the wall with reduced re-transmission fees if they didn't bring everybody to the table at once. This makes it much easier for Playstation Vue and the other OTT to negotiate with 4 networks in lieu of negotiating with the thousands of local affiliates individually.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Did the price of Vue increase in the Des Moines area? I'm seeing the Core package as $45 a month now.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron