Property Tax Increase

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I'm fine with towns planning whatever they want to plan but they should do it with Voluntary money.

Reactions: chadly82

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Many cities, Cedar Rapids included, have gotten everyone addicted to these TIF deals to the point where it's almost expected for any developer to "require" them and any established company to request them before expanding. Coralville has been approving so many that it's affecting their investment grade.

CR just approved a 10 year TIF for a manufacturing plant to expand on land they were already purchasing and basically could not locate the expansion anywhere else. But they are picking up something like $1.4M in tax rebates. That stuff needs to stop.

TIF financing is an area where I'm not that familiar but our town is now going hard after TIF districts. I just haven't figured out that scam yet. I believe it allows for Cities to essentially bribe private companies and set whatever effective tax rate they want. Just making a messy situation much worse.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Strongtowns go broke too. It has nothing to do with density (well that might help slightly) but everything to do with management.

If you need any evidence look at Europe. They easily have more dense towns than most anything here and they still have tons of communities going broke.

Strongtowns is more about incrementalism than blanket density for development. I agree with you that cities never do a great job about controlling expenses though.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Any growth would be better than no growth. And that is the problem that these rural towns have created for themselves. By raising taxes too high they have strangled any potential for growth.

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
I'm fine with towns planning whatever they want to plan but they should do it with Voluntary money.

No one forces people to move into a given town. The tax rates are public knowledge. Aren't you voluntarily agreeing to pay that tax that funds the City growth when you make the conscious decision to move there. No one is forcing you.

Honestly you sound like a Libertarian guy that doesn't want anything, until he then wants it. Probably best if you lived out in the County where you have less taxes and rules to follow.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
No one forces people to move into a given town. The tax rates are public knowledge. Aren't you voluntarily agreeing to pay that tax that funds the City growth when you make the conscious decision to move there. No one is forcing you.

Honestly you sound like a Libertarian guy that doesn't want anything, until he then wants it. Probably best if you lived out in the County where you have less taxes and rules to follow.

Not 100% agree. If I wouldn't have moved here I probably would be divorced. So I was kinda forced here :)

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
TIF financing is an area where I'm not that familiar but our town is now going hard after TIF districts. I just haven't figured out that scam yet. I believe it allows for Cities to essentially bribe private companies and set whatever effective tax rate they want. Just making a messy situation much worse.

Simplifying things a bit, for new development or expansion, it reduces the property tax to 0% (or very low percentage) for a specific period of time. Then once the TIF expires, they pay taxes on the land's improved assessment. The logic behind it, is to provide companies the money for development and upfront costs with the understanding that the city benefits in the long run with increased tax base.

In many cases (not all though, if I'm being fair), once the TIF expires many retail establishments either relocate or negotiate the assessed value back to a much lower level.

Where I really have a problem with them, is tossing them out to established companies just because they can. The initial reason cities started using them was to improve their offers for new development. If an established company needs TIF money in order to expand, the question becomes, do they really need to expand. And without any written basis to determine what constitutes need, the city council is basically allowed to offer free taxpayer money to whomever they choose.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
When you think about some of the small counties, the ones with 12000 used to have 18k population 30 or so years ago and did everything manually. Many have more employees now and can do things computerized. A lot of wandering around when I’ve been into the local courthouses.

If they could do 50% more with worse technology. One set of workers at a courthouse should be able to handle two counties worth of work.

These old courthouses seem to suck money also. You don’t need these 1890 buildings that you throw 2X amount to build new just to make them handicapped accessible.

Too many rural counties for this day and age. 87 counties in MN and 99 in Iowa. Out of curiosity I looked up Jackson County in southern Minnesota, population is only 9,900. County seats don't freakin need to be within a wagon or horse ride of every point in their jurisdiction anymore, it ain't 1885. Hell, I haven't even had a reason to ever even visit thee courthouse here in Hennepin County in 40 years of living in the county. Drivers license or car licenses/titles can be done at AAA or my city office. Of course, it will NEVER change or update because of petty turf battles and traditional "identity".

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Too many rural counties for this day and age. 87 counties in MN and 99 in Iowa. Out of curiosity I looked up Jackson County in southern Minnesota, population is only 9,900. County seats don't freakin need to be within a wagon or horse ride of every point in their jurisdiction anymore, it ain't 1885. Hell, I haven't even had a reason to ever even visit thee courthouse here in Hennepin County in 40 years of living in the county. Drivers license or car licenses/titles can be done at AAA or my city office. Of course, it will NEVER change or update because of petty turf battles and traditional "identity".

Agreed! How many millions of dollars could be saved by consolidating the Iowa counties??

Politicians running for president would appreciate not having to go to all 99

Edit: Apparently it's been offered before with little support in the rural areas

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_d86fa0a7-fd3c-5424-a84d-abb6f5c67d7e.html

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Simplifying things a bit, for new development or expansion, it reduces the property tax to 0% (or very low percentage) for a specific period of time. Then once the TIF expires, they pay taxes on the land's improved assessment. The logic behind it, is to provide companies the money for development and upfront costs with the understanding that the city benefits in the long run with increased tax base.

In many cases (not all though, if I'm being fair), once the TIF expires many retail establishments either relocate or negotiate the assessed value back to a much lower level.

Where I really have a problem with them, is tossing them out to established companies just because they can. The initial reason cities started using them was to improve their offers for new development. If an established company needs TIF money in order to expand, the question becomes, do they really need to expand. And without any written basis to determine what constitutes need, the city council is basically allowed to offer free taxpayer money to whomever they choose.

This is on the right line of thinking, but the TIF doesn't really drop the taxes to 0%. What TIF does is it allows the City to capture all of the tax revenue (usually called TIF revenue) on a parcel (this is all taxes City, School, and County, with the exception of a few protected funds). You can see why City's like this, because they not only capture the City levy, but also the School and County.

The City then gets to decide how that TIF revenue is expended, as long as it is related to the development area that captured the TIF. Sometimes its the City giving a direct tax break to the company via a rebate back on taxes, sometimes its using the TIF revenue to pay for infrastructure needed for a project. Either way, the business pays the taxes, and then the City determines how its used.

There are certainly instances when it is beneficial and instances when it seems sketchy. I'd tend to agree that long term tax rebates using TIF probably won't be a benefit, but it really depends on the deal structured and the financial commitments created by the City. Which again, gets me back to my rant on development style.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

Yup, you must be new to argent logic. He's basically an anarchist that hates government, but wants all the things that governments provide.

• Informative
Reactions: EnhancedFujita

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Agreed! How many millions of dollars could be saved by consolidating the Iowa counties??

Politicians running for president would appreciate not having to go to all 99

Edit: Apparently it's been offered before with little support in the rural areas

https://siouxcityjournal.com/news/l...cle_d86fa0a7-fd3c-5424-a84d-abb6f5c67d7e.html

If Iowa metro growth continues to happen via migration from the smaller communities and counties then County consolidation almost seems like an inevitability. Will be interesting to see how that would play out.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfan92

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
65 of Iowa's 99 counties have a population below 20K. 25 are below 10K and many neighbor each other

https://www.iowa-demographics.com/counties_by_population

This map is a little old but the first thing I found on a quick Google search. Not looking great for Adams County with 3,700 people and a 5.8% decline.

Annual+County+Population+estimates+vintage+2015.png

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
65 of Iowa's 99 counties have a population below 20K. 25 are below 10K and many neighbor each other

https://www.iowa-demographics.com/counties_by_population

I always thought there were some easy combos. If you combined two counties into one location and cut staff and management would be pretty slick. Probably could lump county cops together also and trim a little staff. Each could have 3 supervisors if it made them feel better.

Easy example is Hancock and Winnebago counties. You have forest city sitting on the county line and is the largest town in both counties. Put all offices there and trim a bunch of overhead. County maintenance could work together and savings is there. I'm sure there are others out there that could work together.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010

Show me a City with voluntary / no taxes and I'm there. I am a Libertarian so that shouldn't be a surprise. And I certainly do live in the county now with more cows than people around. I am also looking to move my business as the larger city has degraded significantly due to years of poor management.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Yup, you must be new to argent logic. He's basically an anarchist that hates government, but wants all the things that governments provide.

I've never asked for any of the "services" they provide. I just need them to let me drive around and do as I need to do.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Here is another good website to compare your property tax to any site in U.S.
https://smartasset.com/taxes/iowa-property-tax-calculator

I am thankful I never bought over in Illinois (I considered it 27 years ago). If I had, I would be paying 44% more property tax for same value of home as I do in Muscatine. That would be an extra $2000 on my house, EVERY YEAR. Their rate as a state is 53% higher than Iowa.

Interesting. Just opened my tax statement (Golden Valley, Hennepin County, MN). House bumped from $396K to $450K and tax from $6K to $6.5K. Ran your linky tool and it would be $8K in DSM and the Iowa average would still be $6.6K. Yikes. Thought Minnesota would be more expensive. Housing is expensive here, especially in some neighborhoods/suburbs, but the actual tax rate is not totally out of whack.

• Informative
Reactions: chadly82