Pre-Season AP Poll

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
I hate Nebraska as much as anyone but I don’t see anything wrong with them being ranked 24th. I’d put them right outside the top 25. Yes they were 4-8 but their last five games were definitely a different team.
If Iowa State or any other non-blue blood went 4-8, they would get zero votes. Nebraska being pre-season ranked is strictly based on their former blue blood status and is no different than Texas or Notre Dame being preseason ranked every year whether they go 9-3 or 4-8 the previous year. Heck, if Nebraska had ISU's previous 2 season records and this year's ISU roster, I bet Nebraska is top 15.

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
I'm shocked, just shocked that the conferences with the best television deals have the most teams rated in the preseason poll. It's almost as if having a number next to the team name helps draw viewers...

I can only guess that Martinez has spent the off season giving handjobs to all the sports writers, since he is appearing on Heisman lists and top10 QB lists after a very inconsistent last season.

• Funny
Reactions: flycy

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
If Iowa State or any other non-blue blood went 4-8, they would get zero votes. Nebraska being pre-season ranked is strictly based on their former blue blood status and is no different than Texas or Notre Dame being preseason ranked every year whether they go 9-3 or 4-8 the previous year. Heck, if Nebraska had ISU's previous 2 season records and this year's ISU roster, I bet Nebraska is top 15.
You're not wrong. But a huge part of it is Frost. He was considered the "next big thing" by a lot of people when he was OC @ Oregon...then he proved it at UCF. I think whatever P5 job he'd have taken would get a serious bump.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
The one dude that put WVU in at 23 also had ISU at 20. He's a Wyoming beat writer so don't know what's up with that.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Nebraska would be ranked top 5 easily if they were 8-5 the last two seasons.

ESPN and co. need every moment they can to talk about Nebraska football.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Sorry, forgot the audience.

Funny

Hok fans used to proclaim their teams superiority

Now they are nervous

Now they try to say they are underdog

But you can bet that tune will change if they win

I can go slower if needed.

c58bb26dc9977c943ff799bb09371e0fbaec5b692fc054ce4c4e0198ba939492.jpg

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
That's a pretty big spread. I wonder how that compares to most teams. I would have to imagine ours is wider as a lot of the people that don't have us ranked just see Iowa State and don't even consider us compared to most of the other top 25 who are more "household" names.

Doesn't surprise me with it being the pre-season poll, either.

• Agree
Reactions: CloniesForLife

somecyguy

Jun 19, 2006
That's a pretty big spread. I wonder how that compares to most teams. I would have to imagine ours is wider as a lot of the people that don't have us ranked just see Iowa State and don't even consider us compared to most of the other top 25 who are more "household" names.

Most of the guys who ranked Iowa State NR are west coast guys. A few of them included some really stupid teams in place of ISU.

• Informative
Reactions: CloniesForLife

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
You're not wrong. But a huge part of it is Frost. He was considered the "next big thing" by a lot of people when he was OC @ Oregon...then he proved it at UCF. I think whatever P5 job he'd have taken would get a serious bump.

Nebraska also went 4-2 down the stretch with their losses being by a combined 8 points in road games to Ohio State and Iowa. Granted, the wins were Illinois, Michigan St., Minnesota and Bethune Cookman. Still, it's pretty clear they figured some things out and had a lot of momentum coming into the season.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron