Post season volleyball thread

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Pressley is so good
I have never seen a WVB player with her vertical. Her back row attacks are something else.

I was not able to see their entire match tonight but I thought momentum flipped to Wisky when they started to serve and attack at some BU weak spots, in particular, #18 Hunt.

Cyfan1965

Nov 9, 2016
Iowa
I have never seen a WVB player with her vertical. Her back row attacks are something else.

I was not able to see their entire match tonight but I thought momentum flipped to Wisky when they started to serve and attack at some BU weak spots, in particular, #18 Hunt.

She touches 10' 9"- Insane!

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Saw this interewing take in the Star Tribune today on popularity of volleyball. Helps that the Big 10 is hip deep in good teams but still found this pretty impressive and have to give the BTN kudos for looking into this and responding by putting more games on.

Big Ten Network says volleyball viewership is No. 3 behind football, men's hoops
http://www.startribune.com/big-ten-...s-no-3-behind-football-men-s-hoops/566352692/

“We saw pretty early on that women’s volleyball was more heavily viewed than we thought it was,” Calderon (BTN programming VP) said. “We’ve seen it grow every year over the last five years, since we’ve been tracking it nationally.

Big Ten Associate Commissioner Wendy Fallen, who oversees league scheduling, said the conference now is coordinating with the network. Rather than setting sport schedules years in advance — and then moving event times to get them into prime viewing windows — the league and BTN are working together to create schedules that are optimized for TV.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
While Wisky and Standford offenses looked impressive, it was their serve receive and back row defense and passing that were the huge difference makers. Wisky doesnt even run any back row attack.

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
While Wisky and Standford offenses looked impressive, it was their serve receive and back row defense and passing that were the huge difference makers. Wisky doesnt even run any back row attack.

Great recruiting and ELITE coaching leads to it all. Does Iowa State even come close to that?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Well we sure were "closer" to the level you're referring to, maybe 8-9 years ago...

Nobody is talking about some school hiring our coach away anymore. o_O

Even back then, after watching us lose that 5th set in Mpls to FSU and miss the Final Four, it seemed like it could be a once in a lifetime shot at the Final Four and it was.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
Stanford and Wisconsin play for the title tonight at 7:00 CST on ESPN2.

Georgia Tech won the NIVC tournament that Iowa State won last year. They beat host South Dakota 3-0.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Nobody is talking about some school hiring our coach away anymore. o_O
Maybe UNLV already did :^)

CJL isn't going anywhere unless she unexpectedly resigns for personal reasons but I think it is fair to invoke change as required with everything else in the program and that includes with existing staff and facilities (which I've beaten like a dead horse with the Hilton/JTS developement on the drawing board).

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

CJL isn't going anywhere unless she unexpectedly resigns for personal reasons but I think it is fair to invoke change as required with everything else in the program and that includes with existing staff and facilities (which I've beaten like a dead horse with the Hilton/JTS development on the drawing board).

Ha, I get it and agree with you on the facilities and as much as I'd love it I just don't see it happening. Maybe if we were a top program or something the facilities might be able to be sold but I think were pretty much limited to football for major expenditures. To me, the fact that it isn't even on the drawing board as an idea is pretty telling. :(

I thought Johnson might be able to do what Fennelly didn't, take that next step to be an elite level program after building a respectable up-and-coming program. But, like basketball, we are more of lower level Top 35ish program maybe capable of an occasional run in a given year but will never win the conference or probably make another serious NCAA run. And that's likely fine with the AD and most casual fans since we make the NCAA most year. Last year most of the WBB fans seemed to think it was a great year even though we were seeded a clear path to a Sweet Sixteen playing at Hilton and didn't get it done. Those shots don't come on an annual basis, maybe once in ten years now. :(

• Agree
Reactions: Buster28

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

CJL isn't going anywhere unless she unexpectedly resigns for personal reasons but I think it is fair to invoke change as required with everything else in the program and that includes with existing staff and facilities (which I've beaten like a dead horse with the Hilton/JTS developement on the drawing board).
I think the lack of a conference tv network is a bigger recruiting obstacle than anything. CJL has commented before at booster get-togethers and once on her radio show how powerful the Big 10 network is to sports like volleyball in recruiting. You could tell she was jealous.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Ha, I get it and agree with you on the facilities and as much as I'd love it I just don't see it happening. Maybe if we were a top program or something the facilities might be able to be sold but I think were pretty much limited to football for major expenditures. To me, the fact that it isn't even on the drawing board as an idea is pretty telling. :(

A new VB/WR/GYM competition venue could be used year round for other sports/events to stimulate year round revenues for the entire development. It wouldn't be solely an AD expenditure. But I don't know for sure the hows and whos of development funding. To me, a new 5K multi purpose facility is a no brainer to max out the year round potential of the development. And a significant portion of the the facility costs would be offset by naming rights and signage deals.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I think the lack of a conference tv network is a bigger recruiting obstacle than anything. CJL has commented before at booster get-togethers and once on her radio show how powerful the Big 10 network is to sports like volleyball in recruiting. You could tell she was jealous.
No doubt BTN helps B10 VB, it outdraws WBB and hockey on BTN.

But there are now weekly B12 VB games on ESPNU and there will be more B12 games migrating to ESPN+. And BTN subs are decreasing due to cord cutting/shaving but the hardcore B10 VB fans will get it somehow.