Post season volleyball thread

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Being a workday I am not expecting many Cyclone fans Friday afternoon outside of players family and local alumni. Local alumni are going to stop into the campus Buffalo Wild Wings and than walk over to the pavilion for the match. If any CF'ers are driving up stop in. The BWW is only a couple hundred yards from the pavilion. Parking ramp right across the street on University Ave SE.
The game is 4:30 PM 12/6 (Friday) and may draw a few fans. At 17-11 we got lucky.

On an off-topic what is going on with the UoI Volleyball? Hawkeyes have a new facility planned and likely double the budget of our volleyball program. Yet, they bounce along at the bottom of the bigio. I think they won 9-10 games this year.

Last edited:

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
By facility issue do you mean the need for VB only practice building? There's nothing wrong with Hilton for VB matches
The program would be greatly enhanced IMO with a new combined competition/practice venue that would seat around 4K-5K. The venue could also be used for ISU Wrestling matches, ISU Athletic Camps, HS VB/BB/WR games, Club VB/BB/WR tournaments, etc.

A VB practice facility is currently on the drawing board for the Trice/Hilton Development Project but I think a Competition/Practice venue should be built instead as it would be an additional draw for the adjacent planned restaurants/hotel on a year round basis. The developer would completely or partially fund the facility due to its multipurpose use.

Hilton is fine but it is too big for VB and Wrestling and all of the top Midwest VB programs (which ISU now lags behind) have smaller VB venues and better game atmospheres that appeal to recruits and fans: Minnesota, Creighton, Nebraska, Mizzou, Marquette, Wisconsin and Illinois. Iowa will be playing in a new smaller VB venue in Coralville starting next season which should help their program as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Although I too would love a smaller arena built for volleyball - for practice and matches - I don't believe that is the reason for the program's decline from what it was 8-10 years ago.
The AVCA top 25 is littered with programs that somehow play in their school's basketball arenas, and also don't have a dedicated practice facility.
I wonder if CJL still has the fire that she had before she started her family. Our players just don't have the grittiness and will to win that were once our trademarks.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The program would be greatly enhanced IMO with a new combined competition/practice venue that would seat around 4K-5K. The venue could also be used for ISU Wrestling matches, ISU Athletic Camps, HS VB/BB/WR games, Club VB/BB/WR tournaments, etc.

A VB practice facility is currently on the drawing board for the Trice/Hilton Development Project but I think a Competition/Practice venue should be built instead as it would be an additional draw for the adjacent planned restaurants/hotel on a year round basis. The developer would completely or partially fund the facility due to its multipurpose use.

Hilton is fine but it is too big for VB and Wrestling and all of the top Midwest VB programs (which ISU now lags behind) have smaller VB venues and better game atmospheres that appeal to recruits and fans: Minnesota, Creighton, Nebraska, Mizzou, Marquette, Wisconsin and Illinois. Iowa will be playing in a new smaller VB venue in Coralville starting next season which should help their program as well.

True. True. True. All three paragraphs. However I don't even think it's on the discussion list for the AD or athletic department. Jamie is a great AD for football and basketball but I don't really sense any real commitment to women's sports or the minor men's sports (other than cross country of course ;) ).

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
What time will people start arriving? TIA

Beats me, it's just something we tossed out as an informal option via the Twin Cities alumni club. I think I'll probably pop over around 3:30, meeting a couple for friends. Might go over a little earlier to walk up and buy a ticket than over to BWW.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

Pretty sure if someone wants to step forward with a 10 million $ or so donation that would go a long ways towards getting VB/wrestling a dedicated small capacity venue.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Although I too would love a smaller arena built for volleyball - for practice and matches - I don't believe that is the reason for the program's decline from what it was 8-10 years ago.
The AVCA top 25 is littered with programs that somehow play in their school's basketball arenas, and also don't have a dedicated practice facility.
I wonder if CJL still has the fire that she had before she started her family. Our players just don't have the grittiness and will to win that were once our trademarks.
The top Midwest programs that CJL primarily recruits against all have smaller VB only venues. Most of the Top 25 programs that do play in BB arenas are on the West Coast.

The venue/practice facility issue isn't the only reason for recent program slippage but I think it is a major reason and with the Trice/Hilton project on the drawing board, now is an opportune time to get the facility done in conjunction with that project.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Pretty sure if someone wants to step forward with a 10 million $ or so donation that would go a long ways towards getting VB/wrestling a dedicated small capacity venue.
Yes it would but if the venue is also used extensively for non-ISU events and stimulates a significant amount of year-round revenues for the adjacent hotel/restaurants, most of the venue costs can be absorbed by the Trice/Hilton project developer, City and via a naming rights deal.

• Optimistic
Reactions: NWICY

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
What would be the ideal capacity for a smaller venue for volleyball, wrestling, & gymnastics? 6,000?

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014

I think the biggest problem with the slippage starts and ends mostly with setter issues and recruiting. Imo looking back to the Hudson drama/letdown and Malloy transfer and not having an elite setter since Landwehr. Also, I think losing Nebraska from the Big 12 really hurt the league's volleyball status.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I think the biggest problem with the slippage starts and ends mostly with setter issues and recruiting. Imo looking back to the Hudson drama/letdown and Malloy transfer and not having an elite setter since Landwehr. Also, I think losing Nebraska from the Big 12 really hurt the league's volleyball status.
It hasn't hurt Baylor.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
I like Ohio State's new one - but ours would have to hold more than 3,700 IMO.

https://ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/athletics/facilities/covelli-center/
ISU would do well to mirror that facility for the Trice/Hilton development project. I don't think it needs to exceed 4K capacity and that facility can obviously be used for multiple purposes in addition to ISU VB and WR such as ISU camps, HS BB/VB/WR, Club BB/VB/WR events, alumni events, etc. on a year round basis that support the nearby hotel and restaurants.

Last edited:
  • Disagree

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
True. True. True. All three paragraphs. However I don't even think it's on the discussion list for the AD or athletic department. Jamie is a great AD for football and basketball but I don't really sense any real commitment to women's sports or the minor men's sports (other than cross country of course ;) ).
Wasn't there a new softball and soccer complex built recently?

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It hasn't hurt Baylor.

Baylor and other southern Big 12 schools probably were less affected by the Nebraska move. That said, Baylor is just an unusual case. Their hitter Pressley is amazing, national player of year caliber. They could be almost average without her. Her elite play makes everything better for them. Their vb coach probably started talking to Mulkey (wbb coach) to figure out how to recruit, and it doesn't hurt to have the national champs in wbb to point to.

How long has it been since we've had an amazing hitter that teams could not defend? I don't know how much of that might be/have been affected by inconsistency at setter. That's not to say we haven't had some incredibly talented players, we have. But think Victoria Henson, Carly Jenson, they were unstoppable types. Interestingly, Jenson may have stayed in the shadows had Hockaday not been lost to injury for a season. She was forced to play and played at an elite level. I always wondered whether the coaches missed it, or she just really ran with the opportunity. Many players since then have been very special but not quite as unstoppable.

p.s. Speaking of facilities, anyone else remember watching ISU vb matches in the Ames High gym one year when Hilton was flooded? The noise and energy in the smaller venue were remarkable.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Baylor and other southern Big 12 schools probably were less affected by the Nebraska move. That said, Baylor is just an unusual case. Their hitter Pressley is amazing, national player of year caliber. They could be almost average without her. Her elite play makes everything better for them. Their vb coach probably started talking to Mulkey (wbb coach) to figure out how to recruit, and it doesn't hurt to have the national champs in wbb to point to.

I am not a knowledgeble viewing fan but that's the impression I got after watching that first match with Baylor in Ames. Got swept but seems we were at set point in two sets. Anytime things got to crunch time Pressley could dial up a kill. We don't have a closer or go to player.

Reactions: Buster28

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Will definitely happen when I win the lottery. Softball will also get a donation.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
ISU would do well to mirror that facility for the Trice/Hilton development project. I don't think it needs to exceed 4K capacity and that facility can obviously be used for multiple purposes in addition to ISU VB and WR such as ISU camps, HS BB/VB/WR, Club BB/VB/WR events, alumni events, etc. on a year round basis that support the nearby hotel and restaurants.
The atmosphere for Illinois volleyball at Huff Hall is great. Students really get into it there. I would love to have something like that for ISU volleyball.