Pollard on kxno right now

SoapyCy

Oct 10, 2012
grundy center
So we went from JP is awesome to "welp, get ready for the nut kick because we can't pay enough money to keep him "

Quite the whiplash

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Bad interviewer. You seriously ask if we’d downgrade bowl games to maybe allow a few fans in? lol

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Bad interviewer. You seriously ask if we’d downgrade bowl games to maybe allow a few fans in? lol
We wouldn't and we shouldn't. It would be a disservice to the players and the program. But as a lowly fan, the feelings are a little more complicated.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
His bluntness about our inability to compete financially. Basically saying “we’ve done all we can”, which I also believe. His comments about Campbell coming out of the rabbit hole were a little cryptic.

It seems like Pollard uses KXNO to get out ahead of narratives he wants to control.

Pollard said these type of things , about not being able to afford Fred , right before he left. What is the Athletics department spending the 95 millions dollars? We don't need new building and fkn mall, we need to retain winning coaches. The money will eventually come from going to bowl games that have 5 million plus payoffs and revenue that will be generated from increased fan engagement due to winning.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Pollard said these type of things , about not being able to afford Fred , right before he left. What is the Athletics department spending the 95 millions dollars? We don't need new building and fkn mall, we need to retain winning coaches. The money will eventually come from going to bowl games that have 5 million plus payoffs and revenue that will be generated from increased fan engagement due to winning.

Now that you mention that, you're right.

I think Campbell is better than Hoiberg though in many ways.

Reactions: Scott34

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Now that you mention that, you're right.

I think Campbell is better than Hoiberg though in many ways.
The writing was always on the wall that he wanted an NBA job. Many of us, me included, chose not to see it or minimize it, IMO

• Agree
Reactions: Cytasticlone

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
Iowa State’s football revenue for the 2019 fiscal year was $51.9 million, according to the report. Ticket sales for the seven home games last season totaled $11.6 million. The average attendance was 59,794, third in the Big 12 behind Texas and Oklahoma.

I dont care if you get the local music teacher to coach to the other sports, the only thing that matters is winning in Football and then mens basketball.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
The writing was always on the wall that he wanted an NBA job. Many of us, me included, chose not to see it or minimize it, IMO

I'd say the writing was on the wall that he (and/or his family) wanted out of Ames, period.

I'm hopeful that the Campbell family likes it in Ames.

Reactions: Neptune78

CycloneDTMom

Nov 20, 2017
I listened to the interview, I think he was making the point that if money was the only thing that mattered to CMC, that he knew ISU couldn't compete, but also was clear that money is not the only thing that makes CMC tick.

The part about poking his head out of the hole had nothing to do with any coaching rumors. I just think JP meant that they have off on Monday/Tuesday after a Saturday game when they have an open Saturday on the schedule. He specifically said they would have a conversation after the bowl season "as we do every year." JP also brought up that CMC doesn't have an agent, so there is no one out there (including CMC because he spends most of his time in this hole) floating his name-implying it is all talk and speculation and not really based on any real information.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I'm confused. Pollard said that if we win the Big 12 championship game, we go back to the Cotton Bowl, but if we lose, then we lobby for Fiesta or Peach or at worst Alamo. I thought we would go to Fiesta if we won the Big 12 championship game. Obviously Pollard knows what he is talking about. I like the idea of going twice to AT&T Cyclone Stadium!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Iowa State’s football revenue for the 2019 fiscal year was $51.9 million, according to the report. Ticket sales for the seven home games last season totaled $11.6 million. The average attendance was 59,794, third in the Big 12 behind Texas and Oklahoma.

I dont care if you get the local music teacher to coach to the other sports, the only thing that matters is winning in Football and then mens basketball.

I do think Pollard has a point that we can't match the big schools for money.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I'm confused. Pollard said that if we win the Big 12 championship game, we go back to the Cotton Bowl, but if we lose, then we lobby for Fiesta or Peach. I thought we would go to Fiesta if we won the Big 12 championship game. Obviously Pollard knows what he is talking about. I like the idea of going twice to AT&T Cyclone Stadium!

It's definitely the Cotton Bowl for the winner.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY and Cycsk

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
I'd say the writing was on the wall that he (and/or his family) wanted out of Ames, period.

I'm hopeful that the Campbell family likes it in Ames.

Lot of that was rumors spread. The athletic department and the admin would not pay what Fred's worth was. Few months before Fred left , Pollard said in various places, we have hit our maximum. That was sign that they would not negotiate. Fred took the bulls 25 mil. Nebraska got him for 3.6 a year now, he will turn that program around in a Year,

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
Seriously though, if you think about all that has transpired this year. They cut all athletic budgets, the Athletic Department took it in the shorts with all the cuts. NO ONE from campus did. Then they wined, about this and that. He made some great points about how they took all the cuts and he is done taking cuts at that point.
My feeling is this, its time for the Faculty to take their cut for the AD. Each and every one of them take a $5000, cut out of their salary this year. Those that petitioned to close the school half way through in the fall, can get cut double that, at $10,000. Because while everyone was doing everything they could to make it work, they were complaining and protesting to stop it.
Than after taking that cut this year from the faculty. You just made about 3-4 years of a raise for CMC and his staff.
These professors need to give a little too, instead of wining and expecting everyone else to pay.
The AD paid their share a little off the top from Campus wouldn't hurt them for a change.
Look up how many tenured faculty members there are, and how many expected to be tenured and then talk to me. There is a difference between a tenured faculty member and a merit employee.
Iowa State has Faculty, Professional class, Post doc, and Merit staff classes of employees.
So when I am talking about Faculty and professors, that is exactly who I am talking about.

And just getting no raise and your department taking a cut is the same thing as the coaches taking actual cuts in salary? Then running around signing petitions and protesting to close the school.
I guarantee CMC wasnt petitioning the school to close.

I know what I said I didnt misspeak.
I think if you read my first post and the one you comment on here, I specifically called out the classifications of employees, including the professional/scientific. I also said a 5k cut, and 10k for those that did petition to close the school. Actions have consequences. So no if you or your buddies didn't petition or protest you would be the lower one.
I said 5k, not a half mil. because a 1 year 5k cut to an employee making good money with good benefits is not really a huge cut, but multiply that times 1,500+ faculty that equals a lot more than the 500k cut for 1 guy. and I guarantee that 500k is much more percentage of his pay than what 5k is for yours or any other full time tenured faculty. And that little 1 year, 5k at 1,500 employees, would pay a 2.5 million increase for CMC and his staff for 3 years.

But I guess as long as you get to keep your job and have no effects its fine that CMC gets the shaft, but then dont cry when he decides to move on because Michigan offers him twice the money.

But to each his own, I just dont like people crying that he is going to leave but then wonder why, The University have not funded Athletics in years, NONE, and the first people expected to cut when times are hard....athletics.

But then we have people that say athletics arent important, in this post. So why the **** are we here. Why do we care. Just close down the facilities. Sports do nothing for the University I guess, since its all extra curricular.

I know I know Dumb.

But I'm not the guy here saying not out of my pay check, it needs to come out of my colleagues paycheck. When that colleague is CMC, and he just gave up approx. 1/6 of his yearly salary for the University for this year.

The rare triple down.

CycloneDTMom

Nov 20, 2017
I'm confused. Pollard said that if we win the Big 12 championship game, we go back to the Cotton Bowl, but if we lose, then we lobby for Fiesta or Peach or at worst Alamo. I thought we would go to Fiesta if we won the Big 12 championship game. Obviously Pollard knows what he is talking about. I like the idea of going twice to AT&T Cyclone Stadium!

Big 12 Champion goes to the Cotton Bowl. The Fiesta has two at large bids this year, which makes it possible we could go to the Fiesta Bowl even if we lose the CCG. At least according to what JP said today on the radio.

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
The ISU AD is pretty lean and is run better than the majority of power schools.
The plans for the entertainment center were pre Covid and who knows if itll ever come to fruition now.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Lot of that was rumors spread. The athletic department and the admin would not pay what Fred's worth was. Few months before Fred left , Pollard said in various places, we have hit our maximum. That was sign that they would not negotiate. Fred took the bulls 25 mil.

This is stupid to argue, but he was job hunting for a while.

ZuriCyclone

Nov 10, 2019
The ISU AD is pretty lean and is run better than the majority of power schools.
The plans for the entertainment center were pre Covid and who knows if itll ever come to fruition now.

I dont even know why they are spending money on an entertainment center. Especially 60 million. with our 7-5 record in football, we brought in 52 millions dollars from football alone in 2019. Imagine if CMC sustains this and sustains 10 games win season and goes to bowl games that pay 6 million plus win or lose. Put the money on a coach and staff who can win, which will generate immense revenue.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I dont even know why they are spending money on an entertainment center. Especially 60 million. with our 7-5 record in football, we brought in 52 millions dollars from football alone in 2019. Imagine if CMC sustains this and sustains 10 games win season and goes to bowl games that pay 6 million plus win or lose. Put the money on a coach and staff who can win, which will generate immense revenue.
The entertainment district would be privately developed.

• Winner
Reactions: StPaulCyclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron