Photos from VB vs Baylor

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Baylor swept them 3-0. Hopefully things go better tomorrow.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
They didn't
Not real competitive this weekend after getting swept again today. And whatever NCAA tourney hopes the team had are now likely gone. They actually held Pressley somewhat in check but the ISU attack wasn't good at all. Greiman replaced Rhodes today at MB after Engelbrecht did yesterday. Brandt continues to be the setter as CJL evidently sees no reason for change despite the team's struggles. Brandt must be clearly outplaying Mauck during practice/scrimmages.

Getting swept 12-0 the past four matches against UT and BU indicates the growing and concerning gap between ISU and those two programs. A combination of things IMO contributing to that growing gap with recruiting being perhaps #1 and I don;t think that improves until ISU commits to a smaller VB playing venue that can be shared with Wrestling and Gymnastics. Also beginning to wonder if the regression since Dawn Sullivan left is coincidence or not.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Not real competitive this weekend after getting swept again today. And whatever NCAA tourney hopes the team had are now likely gone. They actually held Pressley somewhat in check but the ISU attack wasn't good at all. Greiman replaced Rhodes today at MB after Engelbrecht did yesterday. Brandt continues to be the setter as CJL evidently sees no reason for change despite the team's struggles. Brandt must be clearly outplaying Mauck during practice/scrimmages.

Getting swept 12-0 the past four matches against UT and BU indicates the growing and concerning gap between ISU and those two programs. A combination of things IMO contributing to that growing gap with recruiting being perhaps #1 and I don;t think that improves until ISU commits to a smaller VB playing venue that can be shared with Wrestling and Gymnastics. Also beginning to wonder if the regression since Dawn Sullivan left is coincidence or not.

That'd be nice but where would that 10-15 million come from (those are #'s I pulled out of the air, Baylors new 7500 seat BB facility is 105 million. They are dropping 30 million in renovations on the Ferrell center for Gymnastics). So maybe my 15 million is too low. UT's 10,000 (expandable to 15,000 for concerts) seat new BB stadium is 300 million plus

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
That'd be nice but where would that 10-15 million come from (those are #'s I pulled out of the air, Baylors new 7500 seat BB facility is 105 million. They are dropping 30 million in renovations on the Ferrell center for Gymnastics). So maybe my 15 million is too low. UT's 10,000 (expandable to 15,000 for concerts) seat new BB stadium is 300 million plus
Make the venue the center piece of the Entertainment District and use it year round for VB, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Summer Camps, HS events and Club tournaments. Sell naming rights to the venue. Obviously COVID will delay District planning but I don't think the District as currently planned is financially viable. It has to have a year round draw and a 5K or so multi=purpose venue serves that purpose (as opposed to the currently planned "convention center"). TOE pulled it off with their new VB venue in Coralville and now ISU is the lone P6 VB program in the Upper Midwest without a smaller VB venue. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette, Nebraska, Creighton, Illinois and Mizzou all have them and all are now more competitive in VB than ISU and TOE may join them in the near future.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Make the venue the center piece of the Entertainment District and use it year round for VB, Wrestling, Gymnastics, Summer Camps, HS events and Club tournaments. Sell naming rights to the venue. Obviously COVID will delay District planning but I don't think the District as currently planned is financially viable. It has to have a year round draw and a 5K or so multi=purpose venue serves that purpose. TOE pulled it off with their new VB venue in Coralville and now ISU is the lone P6 VB program in the Upper Midwest without a smaller VB venue. Minnesota, Wisconsin, Marquette, Nebraska, Creighton, Illinois and Mizzou all have them and all are now more competitive in VB than ISU and TOE may join them in the near future.

I really wouldn't want it to be less than 7000. Whenever out teams are competitive we can draw that in VB and wrestling I would think. Nice idea of putting it in the Entertainment District. Is Mn still in that one part of Williams or have they built something since we played up there in the NCAA's a few yrs ago. Edit I checked UofMinn seats 5205, so maybe I'm a little overoptimistic on the seats we need.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
A combination of things IMO contributing to that growing gap with recruiting being perhaps #1 and I don;t think that improves until ISU commits to a smaller VB playing venue that can be shared with Wrestling and Gymnastics. Also beginning to wonder if the regression since Dawn Sullivan left is coincidence or not.
This program began regressing long before Sullivan left. And when we were winning, we had less talented players -at least on paper coming out of high school - than we do now.
The edge is gone from our VB program. Losses are just not as painful, and just making the NCAA's is now a trumpeted accomplishment.
I was there today - from my view, Baylor played twice as hard. Winning matters more to them than it does to ISU. That's directly on CJL.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
This program began regressing long before Sullivan left. And when we were winning, we had less talented players -at least on paper coming out of high school - than we do now.
The edge is gone from our VB program. Losses are just not as painful, and just making the NCAA's is now a trumpeted accomplishment.
I was there today - from my view, Baylor played twice as hard. Winning matters more to them than it does to ISU. That's directly on CJL.
Regarding the talent, CJL's best teams had more Setter, Libero and DS talent than the current and recent teams. I agree on the OH and MB talent.

The in-state talent migration to out of state P6 programs gets more frustrating with each passing year.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Regarding the talent, CJL's best teams had more Setter, Libero and DS talent than the current and recent teams. I agree on the OH and MB talent.

The in-state talent migration to out of state P6 programs gets more frustrating with each passing year.
Among Christy's greats at libero and setter: Mass, Manns, Landwehr - those players were not recruited by the big schools. They were 2 or 3 star recruits. Yes Kristen Hahn was a level higher. And CJL kept her in-state, out of CR Kennedy.
I too would love a new smaller VB arena - but don't think that cures our ills. Notre Dame, a northern Midwest school, has risen to a top 5 ranking playing in their basketball arena.
Our program is just not as intense anymore. That's within the program: on the practice court, in the culture.

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I really wouldn't want it to be less than 7000. Whenever out teams are competitive we can draw that in VB and wrestling I would think. Nice idea of putting it in the Entertainment District. Is Mn still in that one part of Williams or have they built something since we played up there in the NCAA's a few yrs ago. Edit I checked UofMinn seats 5205, so maybe I'm a little overoptimistic on the seats we need.
If you have a match that's going to be a big draw, you just move it over to Hilton. That said a design that could be expanded should be planned.

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
Among Christy's greats at libero and setter: Mass, Manns, Landwehr - those players were not recruited by the big schools. They were 2 or 3 star recruits. Yes Kristen Hahn was a level higher. And CJL kept her in-state, out of CR Kennedy.
I too would love a new smaller VB arena - but don't think that cures our ills. Notre Dame, a northern Midwest school, has risen to a top 5 ranking playing in their basketball arena.
Our program is just not as intense anymore. That's within the program: on the practice court, in the culture.
Regardless of their recruiting stars, Maas/Manns/Landwehr/Hahn were more talented than recent recruits and players at setter, libero and DS. Manns was a notable overachiever but since Landwehr departed, CJL has not had a first team all conference type setter. Mauck was a second teamer last season but she has evidently regressed to where she is now a backup.

Notre Dame is an exception to the other MW VB powers with smaller VB venues. Should also be noted that K-State is in the process of remodeling Ahearn for VB and it's perhaps no coincidence that they have an outstanding class of freshmen that has made them markedly improved and better than ISU (including a freshmen from Dubuque).

cykadelic2

Jun 10, 2006
If you have a match that's going to be a big draw, you just move it over to Hilton. That said a design that could be expanded should be planned.
I think the home Wrestling match with TOE would be the only event that would warrant a move from a smaller venue to Hilton. Otherwise, you want to have to smaller venue for all big VB and Wrestling matches in order to create the best home court environment possible.

Last edited:

Royalclone

Jun 22, 2008
Lee's Summit, MO
I think the home Wrestling match with TOE would be the only event that would warrant a move from a smaller venue to Hilton. Otherwise, you want to have to smaller venue for all big VB and Wrestling matches in order to create the best home court environment possible.
If we get back to the elite level, OSU could as well.