Pekin Insurance

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
Like most companies, they lost their asses in 2020, and losses have continued. The derecho of 2020 was the largest storm in terms of losses in Iowa history. A lot of people don't realize the hail storm of April 2020 was the second largest.

IMT, based in West Des Moines, has paused new business in Iowa. Nationwide has not officially pulled out, but they have tightened underwriting requirements to the point it's almost impossible to write new business.
IMT put a temporary pause on writing new home owners policies in Iowa, that’s all.

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
With the vast majority of people wanting to bundle, for all intents and purposes that means everything.
I am in the industry so I have got to assume it is a means to reduce their exposure in Iowa. It’s an Iowa based company that uses independent agents to write their business so it really looks like a last resort kind of thing.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
Pekin sucks anyway
They used to be a great company. They performed very poorly after the 2020 storms. Our Pekin territory rep told us in 2017 they intended to focus on their commercial and life insurance businesses and in his exact works, "Let our personal lines business die on the vine." We stopped writing new business with them way back then, and over the past couple years have actively encouraged our clients to switch, fearing this was coming.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm and cyfan21

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I can't tell you how many calls, texts, and dudes showing up to the front door

Roofers are flipping everywhere and we haven't had a bad storm in some time.

Yeah I told them to quit ******* calling me, it I need my roof fixed I call them.

Reactions: aauummm

casey1973

Apr 20, 2012
Ames
My sis just got a notice her insurance company Celina, out of Wisconsin, is pulling out of Iowa effective immediately....... too many claims,

• Wow

NebraskaCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2009
Omaha
Not exactly "new" news.

The guy talks as if it is the contractors that are charging too much for roof claims, but it is a two way street. When I had hail damage a few years back, all the contractor wanted to know was what the claim amount the insurance signed off on. That tells me that the the insurance companies are already paying out too much without any help from the contractors.

Showtimeljs

Jul 2, 2015
Huxley
My sis just got a notice her insurance company Celina, out of Wisconsin, is pulling out of Iowa effective immediately....... too many claims,

We had Celina, I had to hire a public adjuster and a lawyer to get them to pay for our derecho damage. They dropped us after it was all said and done, before we even got around to dropping them. Not a good experience, I'm guessing they were just saying no to claims to try and save what $ they could before pulling out of Iowa.

• Informative

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
The steel roof we put on was within 10% cost of shingles. Partly because it went on right over the old shingles, and partly because had an Amish guy do it. At least for us, it was a no brainer.
How do the squares line up? Are they the size of like 4 shingles so you can screw them on the bottom sides of the shingles?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I don't know if you've had the same insane underwriting turnover that we have but there's something up there that goes way beyond loss ratio.
IMT was never our first choice, but they were a valued partner when we needed them. With our new company additions it is not a huge loss, but we liked having an Iowa-based company in our arsenal.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron