OZARKS... Help

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
There is an ongoing dispute between the "powers that be" at the Lake whether the Lake is better served with an image as a condo/retirement/quiet-relaxed environment or a wild party (party cove) swinging, happening place. Over the 30 years we have been going there it is pretty obvious which side is winning. Very heavy law presence on the roads and water now policing drinking. Example: no standing up on moving boats-which gives the water patrol the right to stop the boat, which gives them the opportunity to check for the inebriated operators. Otherwords know what the rules are and obey them-they are not fooling around. The dermise of Shooters 21 is a culmination of all this. I talked with the owner last year.

S

st8

There is an ongoing dispute between the "powers that be" at the Lake whether the Lake is better served with an image as a condo/retirement/quiet-relaxed environment or a wild party (party cove) swinging, happening place. Over the 30 years we have been going there it is pretty obvious which side is winning. Very heavy law presence on the roads and water now policing drinking. Example: no standing up on moving boats-which gives the water patrol the right to stop the boat, which gives them the opportunity to check for the inebriated operators. Otherwords know what the rules are and obey them-they are not fooling around. The dermise of Shooters 21 is a culmination of all this. I talked with the owner last year.

I actually appreciate this. everyone seems to whine about being stopped by lake patrol like 1 out of 5 times when you pass under the bridge in the no wake zone heading into the state park on big weekends. I'd much rather my time be wasted by heavy law presence and know that they're doing their job, then allow drunken idiots to run rampant in huge boats up and down the lake. It isn't hard to have an awesome time at the ozarks and party hard while still obiding by the law!

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
So how can you get back to your resort if you have been drinking? Might be a stupid question, but everyone plans on having a good time.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
You can have all the "fun" you want in a boat, just be mature about it. #1 stay seated, #2 keep your booze under the radar-do not flaunt it and show off, be courteous and understand boating protocal-always stay to the right of approaching boats and watch who is ahead and behind you. We do a lot of "cove floating" which includes beer consumption and daily trips to dock restaurants which includes beer on the way-but the driver is paying attention and other people are too. You will be fine and have a great time. The problem is when a group of high schoolers or frat boys think anything goes and they are a disaster waiting to happen. Drinking in excess and water do not mix well--especially for non-experienced boat operators.

awasux

Oct 3, 2006
Designated driver. Don't mess around at party cove on Memorial Day weekend without one. There are probably about a half a dozen people that get killed on the lake each year - usually a few coming out of party cove. Still, it's definitely the best party in the midwest.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
By the way, I see you are from St.Louis. My son in St.Louis had his bachelor party at the Lake and a good time was had by all. Frankly, the "party cove" wildness on week-ends was getting well out of hand a few years ago and society said enough.

SmokinH2O

Oct 10, 2008
Ankeny, Iowa
Designated driver. Don't mess around at party cove on Memorial Day weekend without one. There are probably about a half a dozen people that get killed on the lake each year - usually a few coming out of party cove. Still, it's definitely the best party in the midwest.

Advice is right on, have a DD. At the opening of party cove there are usually 3-4, if not more, water patrol looking for boats that may be a problem Designated Drive is the way to go. One person should step up to keep everyone safe. With that said....even a sober boater that doesn't boat on Lake of the Ozarks normally will have a tough time due to how rough and dangerous the water is when you leave PC. It's nothing to get into 4-5' rollers for about 1-2miles from party cove to the no wake zone. I was driving a little 20' Crownline open bow one time and was on the crest of a wave that had at least 8' to the trough. Nose up plowing water....scary. After the no wake zone you get back into the main part of the lake and the rough water starts again. If you go up the lake (ie:mm19 and up vs. down toward the dam) that's not bad. Going down the lake 19-6mm, it'll chew you up. Need to be sober to drive on the weekends with 14 drunks having fun. Otherwise, you'll be talking about this weekend and all the fun for the next 60 years.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron