OT: Watchmen on HBO

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
I never read the graphic novel stuff. Never saw the 2009 movie. No clue what it's about.

But watched first episode of Watchmen on HBO tonight and I have no idea what I was watching but I'm all in.

Reactions: cyfan21 and aobie

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm kind of the cheap bastard that gets 1 or 2 months of HBO a year and binges a year's worth of stuff. I suspect this and Gemstones definitely make it worthwhile for me post-GoT. I also might finish out The Deuce although I was loosing interest after season 2.

As a huge Watchmen fan of the original graphic novel and the surprisingly good film adaptation I've always been skeptical of the masses embracing it. I hope I'm wrong.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I'm kind of the cheap bastard that gets 1 or 2 months of HBO a year and binges a year's worth of stuff. I suspect this and Gemstones definitely make it worthwhile for me post-GoT. I also might finish out The Deuce although I was loosing interest after season 2.

As a huge Watchmen fan of the original graphic novel and the surprisingly good film adaptation I've always been skeptical of the masses embracing it. I hope I'm wrong.
I think it has done it justice so far. Love the style they have gone with, and the storyline has been just suspenseful and intriguing enough to keep you interested, with a handful of things that have you questioning what really is going on.

I've been very pleasantly surprised through 4 episodes, as I wasn't really sure what to expect. Episode 4 sucked me fully back in after 2 and 3 having some good parts, but somewhat of set up episodes.

• Informative
Reactions: HFCS

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
giphy.gif

• Agree
Reactions: harimad

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Sad that every week that goes by a more impressive/theory-inspiring episode comes out, and still noone has jumped in to talk about it. Are people just not watching this one? I'm loving it.

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames
I will definitely watch it, but right now we seem to be in Christmas mode. Not as many dark shows or movies.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Sad that every week that goes by a more impressive/theory-inspiring episode comes out, and still noone has jumped in to talk about it. Are people just not watching this one? I'm loving it.
I just don't have HBO any more. I'd love to see this series, but I'm not subscribing again until Westworld S3.

Reactions: srjclone

BanjoCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2012
I've been keeping up - very solid so far. I'm no critic so I don't have much to offer on insight/discussion, but have been very happy with the pace and development.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I've been keeping up - very solid so far. I'm no critic so I don't have much to offer on insight/discussion, but have been very happy with the pace and development.
The last 2 episodes were bomb after bomb, even the last 2.5. I've been in awe of how much significant storyline material they can pack into these 60 minutes and it not feel forced at all. I have a lot of theories about Lady Trieu, but everything else is all a cluster to me right now

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
I just don't have HBO any more. I'd love to see this series, but I'm not subscribing again until Westworld S3.
That's fair, although I would say that there are some very solid new shows out currently. My only worry is they might bump the price again, but idk if that would be before WWS3

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I had pretty low expectations of this show after the first episode, but it has been an awesome watch. There were scenes I could have done without seeing...and you know which ones those are...but it has been enthralling to watch.

they haven’t announced a second season and I have read that they are skeptical one could be produced quickly. Hope we get another couple of seasons.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I read the watchmen graphic novel before seeing the show, and it's amazing how faithful the show has been to the source material. The attention to detail is incredible. Dialogue that references the graphic novel, tons of symbolism, etc.
And it all fits. The show interlocks with the source material to an amazing degree.

Not sure if it would be as good if I'd never read the preceding material. But as it stands, it's an amazing show.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Best show of the year. I've read the graphic novel and am watching with my wife who isn't a superhero fan. So she has no context and loves it. The Doctor Manhattan reveal floored me. Did not see that coming.
I knew it was coming when Lady Trieu pressed Angela about why she didn't ask who Dr. Manhattan was, Angela is too on top of everything to not have any interest unless she already knew. I think Dr. Manhattan plays into Trieu's "big reveal" and she already knew who Dr. Manhattan was, but she needed him as himself, not as his current human. So she planted the 7th Kavalry tidbit to Angela knowing that she would then bring him out because he was in danger.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
This season has been awesome. I think the last episode wasn't quite on par with the rest of the season. A couple of the reveals were fantastic, especially Cal at the end. The whole scene with Jane and Lori just felt off. Hard for every episode to be perfect but they have been close. Can't wait for the last 2.

Reactions: srjclone

Help Support Us

Become a patron