OT decommit

Freebird

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I think you guys are looking at it all wrong. All CMC had to do was throw on some OSU game tape and say "how do you feel about starting as a freshman?"
And any recruit with eyes will ask why we don't teach the basics of zone blocking and leave.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
One thing I think we have always been missing is that attitude. The mean streak. The will to dominate. Our lines always play soft. Even Simmons who had that early on isn't pancaking guys anymore. I don't get it.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Let's be honest we'll need to hit transfer portal to fix O-line for next year...
Is player development or our OL coach?

By my count we have 19 scholarship OL on the 2022 roster and only 2 (Downing & Ross) are seniors. Thirteen will have 2+ years of eligibility after this season.

Sure the transfer portal might have some good options, but if we can't build a solid OL based on what's currently on the roster, we have bigger problems.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez

By my count we have 19 scholarship OL on the 2022 roster and only 2 (Downing & Ross) are seniors. Thirteen will have 2+ years of eligibility after this season.

Sure the transfer portal might have some good options, but if we can't build a solid OL based on what's currently on the roster, we have bigger problems.
I think that's why everyone is freaking out. These guys have gotten worse since last year. Why can't the guys behind them beat them out? O line has been plain bad most of Campbell's tenure.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
One thing I think we have always been missing is that attitude. The mean streak. The will to dominate. Our lines always play soft. Even Simmons who had that early on isn't pancaking guys anymore. I don't get it.
Not enough depth.

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016

Hate to break it, but on the call in show Monday, Matt praised the development of the O lineman; including praise for Miller.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
I think that's why everyone is freaking out. These guys have gotten worse since last year. Why can't the guys behind them beat them out? O line has been plain bad most of Campbell's tenure.
That's why OL & OC coaching changes seem warranted. Guys like Simmons, Downing, etc have played a lot of snaps at ISU and they seem to have regressed. It would be one thing if they hit a ceiling with their strength & conditioning. But their technique & teamwork should get better with age!

If we have missed on the vast majority of our last 20 OL recruits- then our issues are BIG!

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Have you EVER heard Campbell be critical of a player or position group?

He's trying to win 2 games, no reason to chip away at player confidence publicly. I'm sure they get the message in team meetings.

That's true, and it's why I don't listen to coach pressers. They're completely worthless if you're looking for Campbell to say anything that could be construed as negative about his players. He just won't (and really shouldn't) do it.

It's what he does (not says) with his staff in the offseason that will be more telling than anything he would ever say.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That's true, and it's why I don't listen to coach pressers. They're completely worthless if you're looking for Campbell to say anything that could be construed as negative about his players. He just won't (and really shouldn't) do it.

It's what he does (not says) with his staff in the offseason that will be more telling than anything he would ever say.
During his press conference this week he praised this year's senior leadership. He couldn't have been more complimentary of kids like Johnson and Vance.

But it was interesting that he mentioned the culture in last year's locker room was lacking. Curious statement with all the seniors playing in the NFL. That was first time I have heard about locker room issues in 2021.

Reactions: Cfinnerty16

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I won’t be surprised to see more decommits. Staff is going to have to continue to work hard to keep them. This example is proximity to home and a rising program.
We'll see about the rising program narrative for the Illini. They very well could end up like Indiana: A breakout year and then back to shitsville...