Omaha R.B.I. Baseball tourney

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
This Saturday night (Oct 27th) from 7-9 pm. The RBI tourney is free to enter, has a double elimination format, and will have additional games in order to place each participant. 1st place wins a $15 gift card to Bigway Burger (5413 S 72nd St)

This will be our 5th retro gaming event of the year. We use HDMI output/720 resolution Nintendo systems with HDTVs to offer a STUNNING 8 bit pixelated experience! :D

See facebook event page for more details.

Team Selection process: A coin toss winner prior to each game chooses the 2 teams in the match-up. Coin toss loser has 1st choice of team to control. Coin toss winner controls remaining team and has choice of batting 1st or last.
Game play rules: 1 starting pitcher per game, unless it goes extra innings.
Observe the infield fly rule ie: fielder is not allowed to intentionally miss a pop up in order to get a double play.

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
This reminds me of a video game story from my youth. One of my friends could absolutely destroy me in both RBI Baseball and Tecmo Super Bowl. He couldn't touch me on Atari 2600 games, but I could never beat him in these two games. We were in high school, probably sophomore or junior year.

One afternoon, we play Tecmo Super Bowl and he cuts me a break. Gives me a good team and him a terrible one. I win, which is a bit of a surprise, even with the leg up. Now he wants to play with HIS team. So we do, and I win again. We play two more times...I win both.

He says "let's play again". After 4 straight Ws, I tell him I'm good, gonna bask in this for awhile. Then I say "you know, I don't think I'm ever going to play again."

And I didn't. That was in 1992. Saw him last year - he's still demanding a rematch.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Found an old box of 1988 Donruss wax packs with Dale Murphy on the cover in my basement to give out on Saturday. 1988 in general wasn't a good year for baseball cards. All the major brands were pretty meh, but 88 was the release of RBI...

Dale Murphy had some monsters years with Braves. 82-87 was quite a run for him, but I strongly doubt he'll ever make the HOF. A stronger tail end of his career would have helped immensely. He was done by about age 32 in terms of stand out seasons. There was really nothing noteworthy about the Braves in the mid-80s either which doesn't help his case.
donruss.jpg

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Oakland A's in this game are stacked. I loved crushing peeps with them!

Reactions: Turn2

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I would crush all of you in this game....but my son has a soccer game so I guess I can let someone else win.......this time.

I would play as the Twins and destroy all challengers.

Each spring I host a "full scale" tourney for R.B.I. Baseball in Omaha with $15 entry fee. Pays out to the top 5. That event begins with a 3 game opening round of group play, then based on results seed the bracket. Single elimination until final 4 (best of 3). Championship is best of 5. If you make a run into the final 4 of that tourney, you play about 4 hours total. I'll let you both know when we get the date set for that.

Had 16 attend this year including players from 5 different states. The final 4 was represented by guys from IL, IA, NE, and CO.

Omaha has a 2-time champ thats won 18 consecutive games. His birthday is Saturday so he won't be in attendance for this mini event, and someone else will get to win. I've been to a few RBI tourneys in Chicago and Columbus Ohio that had $100 entry fee/16 player field and had really talented players fly in to compete. Our Omaha champ is definitely on par with the best players I've ever seen from around the country.

Here's a video from the 2018 event. Its Tecmo Bowl tournament early in the video, but the last minute or so has the RBI event.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I would play as the Twins and destroy all challengers.

Come to think of it, I played in a NY/MIN game in group play this year. I was NY and lost a 18 inning game 1-0 if I recall right. Both teams have mediocre bats at best, and nobody could generate much for hits. I was able to face that guy again later that night in the 5th place game and get the win, but that loss still stings.

bsaltyman

Drinker of Ames Lager
SuperFanatic
Sep 20, 2012
Ames, IA
Come to think of it, I played in a NY/MIN game in group play this year. I was NY and lost a 18 inning game 1-0 if I recall right. Both teams have mediocre bats at best, and nobody could generate much for hits. I was able to face that guy again later that night in the 5th place game and get the win, but that loss still stings.
Yeah Minnesota has good pitching, but their offense is disappointing. It seems like Kirby Pucket should be better than what he is in RBI baseball. Losing 1-0 in 18 innings sounds rough.

• Agree
Reactions: Omaha Cy

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Call me when there is a Halo 2 tournament.

I get asked a lot about running tourneys for newer games, but its not going to happen. I have easily $2K + in equipment for big retro tourneys where we can set up and have 20+ people playing all at once on new style HDMI output retro systems on HDTVs.

I can only imagine the cost involved just to get 5 or 6 new xbox ps4 (?) systems to accomodate a field of only 10-12 players.

Also with new systems coming on the market every few years, you'd have to go buy a new batch every 2+ years. I'll stick to retro and not need to buy anything more going forward.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Yeah Minnesota has good pitching, but their offense is disappointing. It seems like Kirby Pucket should be better than what he is in RBI baseball. Losing 1-0 in 18 innings sounds rough.

Puckett is typically viewed as one of the most notorious players the programmers got wrong. If he was a legit power/speed guy, Minnesota would be a lot better.

Reactions: bsaltyman

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Found an old box of 1988 Donruss wax packs with Dale Murphy on the cover in my basement to give out on Saturday. 1988 in general wasn't a good year for baseball cards. All the major brands were pretty meh, but 88 was the release of RBI...

Dale Murphy had some monsters years with Braves. 82-87 was quite a run for him, but I strongly doubt he'll ever make the HOF. A stronger tail end of his career would have helped immensely. He was done by about age 32 in terms of stand out seasons. There was really nothing noteworthy about the Braves in the mid-80s either which doesn't help his case.
View attachment 59383

I used to think Dale Murphy also played John Boy on 'The Waltons'.

• Funny

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
I get asked a lot about running tourneys for newer games, but its not going to happen. I have easily $2K + in equipment for big retro tourneys where we can set up and have 20+ people playing all at once on new style HDMI output retro systems on HDTVs.

I can only imagine the cost involved just to get 5 or 6 new xbox ps4 (?) systems to accomodate a field of only 10-12 players.

Also with new systems coming on the market every few years, you'd have to go buy a new batch every 2+ years. I'll stick to retro and not need to buy anything more going forward.

Haha it's all good I was just kidding; back in high school the bar on 10th street across from DJ's Dugout used to host Halo tournaments.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
Haha it's all good I was just kidding; back in high school the bar on 10th street across from DJ's Dugout used to host Halo tournaments.

No worries. When people see the retro gaming equipment to accommodate 15-20 players, they often wonder if i have that much equipment with newer systems as well.