NFL: ***OFFICIAL WEEK ONE THREAD***

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
NFL football is back for real tonight! No more preseason nonsense.

The Packers and Bears kick things off tonight in Chicago. Should be a pretty good one - Aaron Rodgers in a new offense, David Montgomery the feature back for Chicago, and the Bears and Bears fans holding their breath on every PAT and FG attempt.

Best of the rest of the weekend (IMHO):

Rams at Panthers - I think if Cam Newton is healthy the Panthers are a sneaky contender in the NFC.

KC at JAX - Tough test for Mahomes right out of the gate. I have zero faith in the Jags offense but that defense is still legit.

Colts at Chargers - The Jacoby Brissett era begins.

Steelers at Patriots - Classic rivalry game. Is the loss of Antonio Brown addition by subtraction for the Steelers?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
No end in sight for Melvin Gordon's holdout with the Chargers. For the time being it looks like he miscalculated his value to the team. The only card left for him to play now is to sit out a few weeks and hope the Chargers can't get any traction on offense or that another team loses their starting RB and makes a panic trade.

• Agree
Reactions: Shawker

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
Chiefs fan here. I'm ready to see the new and improved Legion of Zoom but I am even more interested in seeing if that defense can do enough to get us a Super Bowl win.

Other games I'm interested in:
- Denver @ Oakland. AFC West rivalry and can gauge their teams vs KC.
- Kliff and Kyler in AZ
- Zeke rust?
- Houston at NO should be fun.
- Pittsburgh at NE will show who is going to be the biggest competition for KC.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
NFL football is back for real tonight! No more preseason nonsense.

The Packers and Bears kick things off tonight in Chicago. Should be a pretty good one - Aaron Rodgers in a new offense, David Montgomery the feature back for Chicago, and the Bears and Bears fans holding their breath on every PAT and FG attempt.

Best of the rest of the weekend (IMHO):

Rams at Panthers - I think if Cam Newton is healthy the Panthers are a sneaky contender in the NFC.

KC at JAX - Tough test for Mahomes right out of the gate. I have zero faith in the Jags offense but that defense is still legit.

Colts at Chargers - The Jacoby Brissett era begins.

Steelers at Patriots - Classic rivalry game. Is the loss of Antonio Brown addition by subtraction for the Steelers?
I have trouble believing that Cam Newton will ever stay healthy for an entire season

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I have trouble believing that Cam Newton will ever stay healthy for an entire season

That'll be the 150 million dollar question for Carolina. He's 30 now and due to hit free agency after the 2020 season. Considering all the punishment he's taken in the past plus the fact that he's unlikely to change his style of play plus the fact that he's generally been kind of an up and down player for his career, do you re-up with him or move on? Tough question for the Panthers. He's won a lot of games for them but it's not hard to envision him being pretty broken down by his early thirties.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Chiefs fan here. I'm ready to see the new and improved Legion of Zoom but I am even more interested in seeing if that defense can do enough to get us a Super Bowl win.

Other games I'm interested in:
- Denver @ Oakland. AFC West rivalry and can gauge their teams vs KC.
- Kliff and Kyler in AZ
- Zeke rust?
- Houston at NO should be fun.
- Pittsburgh at NE will show who is going to be the biggest competition for KC.

Let me save you the trouble - they're both going to suck. It's the Chiefs' division to lose. Joe Flacco isn't the answer at QB and LOL Raiders. The Chargers are already down their best defensive player for most of if not all season, their best offensive player is holding out, and their o-line is complete trash.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
No end in sight for Melvin Gordon's holdout with the Chargers. For the time being it looks like he miscalculated his value to the team. The only card left for him to play now is to sit out a few weeks and hope the Chargers can't get any traction on offense or that another team loses their starting RB and makes a panic trade.

It's a weird situation. I'd think if the Chargers thought he was that good, they'd pay him. They have a good team and need to win now. If they don't think he is that great, trade him for a few picks and be done with it. Let him be someone else's problem.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
It's a weird situation. I'd think if the Chargers thought he was that good, they'd pay him. They have a good team and need to win now. If they don't think he is that great, trade him for a few picks and be done with it. Let him be someone else's problem.

I think he overplayed his hand. The only thing that bails him out now is if their offense just can't get in gear with him out. Then maybe he has some demonstrable leverage and can get something done.

Tough to trade him because it'd have to be a team willing to give him the long term deal he's looking for.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Eagles gave the Chargers a laughable trade option. Maybe they thought they could steal him for a season.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
If the Vikings don't go deep into the playoffs, Spielman will not doubt seriously begin questioning the wisdom of giving Cousins all that guaranteed money. I still think they should have kept Keenum.....he did regress, but perhaps in a stable atmosphere (with much more talent around him) it might have been different.

Wonder how much longer, too, the Lions will hope Stafford can lead them to a championship. I think there's something sinister hovering over that team, maybe hangover from the Millen years. They keep spending FA money and getting little to nothing in return.

Help Support Us

Become a patron