***Official ISU Bowl Predictions***

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I mostly agree with the idea but if you don't think Bowl Committees would favor the teams in the south, you're outta your mind. 75% of the bowl games are in the South East. So it would just give way more accolades to SEC and ACC teams.

I think it would require picks that guarantee the best game possible because the bowl committees need to make money and secure tv ratings to maintain or increase their standing in the draft. What you say might be true at the bottom of the draft, I suppose, where there would be fewer compelling matchups the incentive to get a couple local fan bases in the stadium instead might override. But they risk losing credibility by doing so, like the Humanitarian Bowl does by selecting the home town team 85% of the time.

Overall, I think fan bases at these schools would like more variety in games and locations to attend and this would help achieve that.

• Friendly
Reactions: isu81

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
This is my annual petition that the bowl game organizers agree to drop their conference affiliations and institute a bowl game draft with selection order determined by game payout.

You would get better match ups, viewers and fan support which is what they say they are all about. Over time there would be more upward pressure on payouts(benefitting conference bottom line) as well as some of the games that have no purpose would naturally wither on the vine.

I could get on board with some version of this.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I believe we had TCU in Houston back in the mid 2000s.
Yep we did. I went to it.
I felt like every bar in town played the song "King of the Road" on repeat. I was humming trailer for sale a lot on the loooooooong drive back to Iowa.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I guess I assumed most of the TV ads were sold much more in advance of 3ish weeks before the bowl game. I get that Texas would obviously have more TV viewers than ISU but ISU would have a much larger local economic impact in San Antonio

Plus a bunch of the ads in bowl games are chamber of commerce spots. No one in Tampa is trying to get people from Miami to go there as a tourist destination.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
The lube makers have a football team?
They won 10 games and beat Penn State on NYD last year; Stoops has quietly built a decent program; he recruits Ohio too like Campbell; this could actually be an important game for recruiting purposes in the Buckeye State.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looking at bowl payouts, big xii probably will make money not the sending someone to cheese it, just over one mil payout. Had to hook up with it to just have a game somewhere besides Texas. I see Boston is getting a bowl game, oh hell no, that would blow. One small notch above Detroit.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I had a heck of a time at the Liberty Bowl two years ago and would go back in a second. Just like I did in San Antonio last year.

It’s a meaningless exhibition football game - some people put way too much emphasis on them.
I agree. Had a lot of fun in Memphis despite the cold weather. Damn global warming!

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
@jereseib You can dislike my post but it does not mean I am wrong. @cfbmatrix and @cfb_professor on twitter are good follows on how the committee works. They nail it every year. Feel free to give them a follow and hopefully you'll come around on 8 conference games. (8 conference games assumes you want the Big 12 to have the best chance of making the playoff)

I disliked it because it will never happen. There is no way with a 10 team league they are going back to an 8 game schedule. It makes no sense, yeah lets just keep a random team off the schedule every year. I guarantee you it will be a complete disaster.

What happens when we tie for 2nd with a team that beat us during the regular season but didnt have to play Oklahoma? Then we get shutout of playing in the Big 12 championship game? Its bound to happen to some team.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
It’s an interesting take. Didn’t the b10 go to a 9 game conference schedule, thinking it would help them; only to look to go back to 8?

It makes sense for the Big 10 to go back because they have 14 teams. So you are missing 5 teams instead of 4 every year. It makes no sense for the Big 12 to do it with only 10 teams. Cant wait to see the meltdown around here when Iowa State doesnt get to play Kansas one year but everyone else does.

• Agree
Reactions: spitfyr36

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
What would you do in Orlando if you don't go to Disney or Universal Studios? It's basically a swamp in the middle of a pine forest. Honest question. I've been to Orlando twice. Once for Universal and once for Disney. Didn't venture into Orlando much. Wasn't impressed with what I saw.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Reactions: wxman1

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What would you do in Orlando if you don't go to Disney or Universal Studios? It's basically a swamp in the middle of a pine forest. Honest question. I've been to Orlando twice. Once for Universal and once for Disney. Didn't venture into Orlando much. Wasn't impressed with what I saw.

Honest question? :confused:

Did you have your eyes closed except when you were on site at Disney and Universal? Or is this just Texas snobbery? :D

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

On the bright side, I don't think we are going to have to worry about Orlando because we pretty much played ourselves out of it

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and wxman1