**Official Assistant Coach Replacement Idea Thread**

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Jeff Bzdelik. Didn't pan out at Wake Forest but did have success at Colorado.

Uh, no, he didn't. That's why it was such a head-scratcher when Wake Forest hired him.

I'm not sure what's driving all of this revisionist history with Jeff Bzdelik. The guy has an awful coaching history.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
Sources close to the situation are telling me Charlie Henry is the front runner. And by sources I mean Chris Williams.

roundball

Dec 8, 2013
Iowa City area
Here's some names that I haven't seen thrown out there...

Gregg Gottlieb: Doug's brother is currently an assistant at Cal and was previously at San Diego State, and I have no idea if Cuonzo Martin plans to retain him. He can recruit California extremely well and I'm sure he's got great "Xs and Os" knowledge from sitting next to Mike Montgomery and Steve Fischer for so long.

Rob Moxley: Currently an assistant at North Carolina State who's very close with Bobby Lutz. He's been instrumental in getting some pro-caliber players to NCSU (they've had a surprising number of early NBA entries) and was there for Lutz's success at Charlotte. Maybe he'd prefer the stability of coaching under Fred over Mark Gottfried, who's likely bound for the hot seat.

Chris Caputo: Miami (FL) assistant who followed Jim Larranaga down from George Mason. He can recruit the Washington DC area very well, a recruiting hotbed that Frank Martin tapped when he was at Kansas State and doesn't get too heavily worked by Big 12 teams now that he's gone.

allfourcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 26, 2012
I realize Fred is in charge and a big enough boy to take care of himself, but I wonder if he gets alot of calls from former guys with ISU ties and it really puts him on the spot when he has to 'not' consider them or tell them no. Someone like Dedric Willoughby comes to mind as someone who might be interested to come on board some day. Or the fallout with Jeff Grayer. I'm sure there are others who probably wanted to join the staff. Hope he can form a great staff, continue to recruit, and not have to spend too much of his time with the downside of interviewing or uncomfortable telling candidates no.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron