NBA: ***Official 2019 NBA Playoffs Thread***

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Most underpaid players (and many of these are max guys, so the game becomes who can offer the player the best situation, not the most money because of the limits)...

upload_2019-7-10_15-44-14.png

Their model really likes Kemba Walker in Boston. It really likes Boogie and Danny Green, too, which bodes well for the LBJ-AD LALs to maybe make something happen.

Golden State seems to have quite the steal with Kevon Looney, and I agree. I am not giving up on the Warriors yet. Curry/Klay/Dray/Looney is going to be dangerous in the playoffs no matter how they fill out the last starting spot and bench rotation.

Turning it around, the most overpaid guys...

upload_2019-7-10_15-44-55.png

Harrison Barnes has won an NBA championship while never averaging more than 20 PPG on an NBA team meanwhile he is going to make $100+ million playing basketball in his career. He must have a good agent. Why did Sacramento do that.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Most underpaid players (and many of these are max guys, so the game becomes who can offer the player the best situation, not the most money because of the limits)...

View attachment 65111

Their model really likes Kemba Walker in Boston. It really likes Boogie and Danny Green, too, which bodes well for the LBJ-AD LALs to maybe make something happen.

Golden State seems to have quite the steal with Kevon Looney, and I agree. I am not giving up on the Warriors yet. Curry/Klay/Dray/Looney is going to be dangerous in the playoffs no matter how they fill out the last starting spot and bench rotation.

Turning it around, the most overpaid guys...

View attachment 65112

Harrison Barnes has won an NBA championship while never averaging more than 20 PPG on an NBA team meanwhile he is going to make $100+ million playing basketball in his career. He must have a good agent. Why did Sacramento do that.

The Kangz doing Kangz thingz. But seriously, it's not like they're even close to being in cap trouble, they don't need to save cap space because there aren't many FAs that want to go there, and he can give all their young guys some good vet leadership. Plus, he's still only 27 years old and is in his prime.

• Agree
Reactions: CyJack13

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
The Kangz doing Kangz thingz. But seriously, it's not like they're even close to being in cap trouble, they don't need to save cap space because there aren't many FAs that want to go there, and he can give all their young guys some good vet leadership. Plus, he's still only 27 years old and is in his prime.

Yeah I thought their Ariza contract was dumb, but I had no problem with the Harrison Barnes deal. There's not a long list of guys lining up to play in Sacramento and while not being a star Barnes is a solid player.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

Yeah I thought their Ariza contract was dumb, but I had no problem with the Harrison Barnes deal. There's not a long list of guys lining up to play in Sacramento and while not being a star Barnes is a solid player.

That is a lot of money to throw into a guy their model says is barely above replacement.

• Agree
Reactions: Doc

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
That is a lot of money to throw into a guy their model says is barely above replacement.

Barnes had much better efficiency numbers when he had a usage rate in the mid teens with Golden St, when it went up into the 20s with Dallas his numbers really declined. His usage rate dropped back to 16%, which is about right for Barnes.

I'm not familiar with how they come up with their market value figure but any system that has Kemba Walker being worth $14M more than Kawhi and also higher than a healthy Durant would make me second guess it a little.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27162014/kawhi-signs-shorter-3-year-clips-deal

Kawhi continuing to cement himself as a power broker in the league. By signing a three year deal with a player option for the third he has aligned his contract with Paul George's and they can both be free agents again in the summer of 2021. Man, if this thing goes south on the Clippers and one or both players bail after two seasons then OKC is going to be sitting pretty with all those picks.

Reactions: Halincandenza

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27162014/kawhi-signs-shorter-3-year-clips-deal

Kawhi continuing to cement himself as a power broker in the league. By signing a three year deal with a player option for the third he has aligned his contract with Paul George's and they can both be free agents again in the summer of 2021. Man, if this thing goes south on the Clippers and one or both players bail after two seasons then OKC is going to be sitting pretty with all those picks.

How would people view Kawhi if he then jumps to an OKC team loaded with picks and cap room, and convinces another star to join him there? That would be some real basketball mastermind ****, planning all this out years in ahead.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee

How would people view Kawhi if he then jumps to an OKC team loaded with picks and cap room, and convinces another star to join him there? That would be some real basketball mastermind ****, planning all this out years in ahead.

Kawhi just turned 28 and George just turned 29.

They have at least that window (and probably a few more years) together.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

I'd very much like to know if the Clips knew he only planned on signing a short term deal when he agreed to come to LA. Not saying they wouldn't have gone ahead anyway, but it maybe would have made them think twice about sending all of that draft haul to OKC.

I think it's most likely that they'll both re-up in LA and this short term deal was solely to max out his earnings potential. But let's say that over the next two years he or PG have injury issues or the team doesn't mesh or something else happens. Even having the option of bolting after two years puts a ton of pressure on the Clips to not slip up. They have to win now and still maintain enough roster and cap flexibility in a couple years to not only retain Kawhi and PG but build around them, too.

That 2021 free agency class is potentially a monster, BTW. Giannis, LeBron (old but still one of the best in the league), Kawhi, PG, Bradley Beal, and CJ McCollum just to name a few.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I'd very much like to know if the Clips knew he only planned on signing a short term deal when he agreed to come to LA. Not saying they wouldn't have gone ahead anyway, but it maybe would have made them think twice about sending all of that draft haul to OKC.

I think it's most likely that they'll both re-up in LA and this short term deal was solely to max out his earnings potential. But let's say that over the next two years he or PG have injury issues or the team doesn't mesh or something else happens. Even having the option of bolting after two years puts a ton of pressure on the Clips to not slip up. They have to win now and still maintain enough roster and cap flexibility in a couple years to not only retain Kawhi and PG but build around them, too.

That 2021 free agency class is potentially a monster, BTW. Giannis, LeBron (old but still one of the best in the league), Kawhi, PG, Bradley Beal, and CJ McCollum just to name a few.
Lebron is going wherever his son goes

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I feel like both teams got fleeced
Idk man. The Rockets definitely won. Chris Paul and his contract are getting worse by the minute.

Will the Thunder keep Paul or flip him? Surely he’s going to be pissed about going from LAC to Houston to OKC.

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Imagine drafting 3 MVP's in consecutive drafts. How many rings would you think you would have after 10ish years? 3? 4? 5? More?

OKC has zero after doing that, just crazy.