NBA: ***Official 2016-17 NBA Regular Season Thread***

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Adding losing into the DNA of a young team isn't always the best option. Do you notice that the teams that tank are usually doing it year in and year out? Its probably a better idea that Minnesota gets these guys figuring out how to win. Might happen very soon.
They've been losing their whole NBA careers so losing is already in there DNA. They should try to trade Rubio and draft either a PG or PF

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
DeMarcus Cousins had some kind of night against the Blazers - 55 points, 13 boards, and an ejection that was rescinded. Pile that on top of the $50,000 fine he got for a verbal spat he got into with a Sacramento reporter, and it was quite a day for Cousins.
And with the NBA trade season unofficially underway, it's just about time for the annual "Will Boogie be traded" debate. I think the Kings should move him, but I don't think they will. There's no questioning his talent, but there are so many things working against a trade - the team getting him would not only need to have the assets to acquire him and the need for an All Star big man, but they'd also need a stable organization with a clear alpha coach or star player who could keep him in check. That right there eliminates what, 3/4 of the league? And the Kings might be asking for too much. Again, there's no arguing the talent and ability, but there is massive risk in acquiring a guy with that kind of reputation. They're not going to get equal value for him, and the closer he gets to free agency after the 17-18 season the less attractive the offers are going to get. Whoever pulls the trigger on a deal is essentially staking their job on a talented head case, so they'll give up some pieces but not the whole farm.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They've been losing their whole NBA careers so losing is already in there DNA. They should try to trade Rubio and draft either a PG or PF

So the answer is to continue losing and collecting lottery picks like it's a hobby? And why on earth would they draft a PG when they just drafted Kris Dunn?
At some point they can't just keep acquiring young talent. This isn't fantasy basketball. There are only so many offensive possessions in a game, so not everyone can be an All Star or get 15-20 attempts every night. They have a good young core in place; if it isn't time to start building a roster around them so they can contend then it will be soon.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
You sound like a goddamn Iowa fan. Because they've had a bad stretch with some worse draft picks, that means they can NEVER be good, because it is the organizations "DNA"? sheesh, I'm just as upset as anyone with this team, but to think they aren't going to be able to compete ever is just dumb fandom.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Was the last time the twolves we're good when kg played point guard?

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
2004, but that was win Sam Cassell was PG. KG is my favorite player of all time and I do not remember a time where he played PG purposely for numerous games. Sure at time he would bring it up but that was because he was a 1 man show for about 4 years before their team added the pieces he needed to take that next step.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines

You have to go all the way back to the 03-04 season when the reached the conference finals. They haven't been to the playoffs since. Not many teams have wasted a Hall of Famer quite like the Wolves wasted KG's prime.

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
2004, but that was win Sam Cassell was PG. KG is my favorite player of all time and I do not remember a time where he played PG purposely for numerous games. Sure at time he would bring it up but that was because he was a 1 man show for about 4 years before their team added the pieces he needed to take that next step.
I thought Sprewell played 1 with Cassell at the 2? That team also had Wally at the 3/4 and KG at the 4/5, iirc.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
So the answer is to continue losing and collecting lottery picks like it's a hobby? And why on earth would they draft a PG when they just drafted Kris Dunn?
At some point they can't just keep acquiring young talent. This isn't fantasy basketball. There are only so many offensive possessions in a game, so not everyone can be an All Star or get 15-20 attempts every night. They have a good young core in place; if it isn't time to start building a roster around them so they can contend then it will be soon.

I wouldn't tank at this point, but if you get past the All Star break and things still aren't going well, I wouldn't be going all out to win every game either. There's ways to do that without being obvious about it, and that can still help the team for the future. Different lineup combinations, give guys more chances to work on their current weaknesses, things like that. I also wouldn't let having Dunn keep me from going after a pg, if I have a high pick again. Dunn was a top five pick, but it was in a two player draft. His future seems like a nice combo guard off the bench on a really good team.

You also never know when a young team can suddenly figure things out, that switch can get flipped fast so it's still way too early to give up on this year.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
I wouldn't tank at this point, but if you get past the All Star break and things still aren't going well, I wouldn't be going all out to win every game either. There's ways to do that without being obvious about it, and that can still help the team for the future. Different lineup combinations, give guys more chances to work on their current weaknesses, things like that. I also wouldn't let having Dunn keep me from going after a pg, if I have a high pick again. Dunn was a top five pick, but it was in a two player draft. His future seems like a nice combo guard off the bench on a really good team.

You also never know when a young team can suddenly figure things out, that switch can get flipped fast so it's still way too early to give up on this year.

It depends on whether or not you think there's a better prospect at whatever your draft slot ends up being. I'd be careful about giving up on Dunn or any young PG too early.

As for tanking, if they get to the All Star break and they still aren't clicking I don't think they'll go full Hinkie and trot out a bunch of scrubs in an effort to grab another top three pick. But yeah, at that point if you're Thibs then you should be coaching and playing for the future, which means lineup experimentation and playing guys out of their natural position just to see what works and what doesn't. It's kind of a gray area of tanking where it sort of is but not quite.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
You sound like a goddamn Iowa fan. Because they've had a bad stretch with some worse draft picks, that means they can NEVER be good, because it is the organizations "DNA"? sheesh, I'm just as upset as anyone with this team, but to think they aren't going to be able to compete ever is just dumb fandom.
They're already 8-17 this year so obviously this team isn't working out and there needs to be some changes

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
They're already 8-17 this year so obviously this team isn't working out and there needs to be some changes

Such as? You don't write off a very young team a third of the way into the season unless you want to be in permanent rebuild status. There's a time to be patient and a time to make changes. Right now you have a new coach and a bunch of players who are barely old enough to buy a beer.

They're struggling right now but it isn't anywhere near enough evidence to say that this particular group won't ever put it together.

Desiigner

Jul 6, 2016
Such as? You don't write off a very young team a third of the way into the season unless you want to be in permanent rebuild status. There's a time to be patient and a time to make changes. Right now you have a new coach and a bunch of players who are barely old enough to buy a beer.

They're struggling right now but it isn't anywhere near enough evidence to say that this particular group won't ever put it together.
I'm not talking about get rid of the young players. If they keep Levine, Wiggins and towns they should be set. They need to trade Rubio. I'm also not sold that Dunn will live up to the hype.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
Yeah, okay, the 4-22 (or younger) year olds have had a rough start to a new regime under a demanding coach, and their 26 year old "veteran" has been in/out, so lets just call it a scratch and start over next year. That is definitely the mindset you want to be relaying to your young team about how to handle adversity. I feel like I'm repeating myself..

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Pretty sure I remember him playing point guard in some playoff games. But maybe it was Sprewell...

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I've been waiting on Minnesota to be good to start watching the NBA more consistently. Right now it's strictly when the Warriors are on and the playoffs. Other than that, no thank you.

Has Rubio developed an outside shot yet?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Pretty sure I remember him playing point guard in some playoff games. But maybe it was Sprewell...

They ran the offense through him at the top of the key quite a bit IIRC. Kind of a point forward because of passing ability and quickness to beat most big guys off the dribble. By then he also had a nice midrange jumper, although he never extended his range beyond 18 feet or so. I believe that at that point in his career Cassell was more of an off the ball spot up shooter. But feel free to correct me if that's not right.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
They ran the offense through him at the top of the key quite a bit IIRC. Kind of a point forward because of passing ability and quickness to beat most big guys off the dribble. By then he also had a nice midrange jumper, although he never extended his range beyond 18 feet or so. I believe that at that point in his career Cassell was more of an off the ball spot up shooter. But feel free to correct me if that's not right.
I would have been 11 and I'm not a twolves fan so I'll defer to you haha.