Offensive Line Concerns

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah because you’d think guys would be used to it after 4 years.
Yeah I seriously don’t know that’s just what I was told by guys that were on the team. You’d have to think it only happened from time to time.

I only played in HS but I guess it could’ve been timing with motion guys and / or him drawing out his words or something that could cause guys to guess when he was going to call for the snap.

I’ll ask though the next time I talk to em and ask for specifics.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
We're always good for several false start penalties inside the 10 yd line that kills drives and we get 3 instead of 7.

Yeah, just as soon as they get inside the 20 they might as well back it up 5 yards. It's almost like clockwork that right after Walters says "in the Case IH red zone" there is a false start.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Yeah, just as soon as they get inside the 20 they might as well back it up 5 yards. It's almost like clockwork that right after Walters says "in the Case IH red zone" there is a false start.
I go back to this but I think we lost the WSU game in 2018 strictly because of the false start penalties we had.

And then coincidentally they scored on a critical play where they blatantly false started and it wasn’t called.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Saw this clip on Twitter where there is a huge hole up the middle and the RB picks up about 15 yards. But if you watch each of the OL, none of them are delivering devastating blocks. It's good angles, staying between the defender and ball carrier, and one DL in particular running past the play. In real time people watch that and say the OL mauled the defense when that's not what really happened, and in reality doesn't NEED to happen very often.

And in short yardage the defense changes its tactics to reduce the chances they get blown up on the LOS. You can't just flip a switch and decide "ok now I'm going to pancake him."

Our OL performance hasn't been great, but it's a combination of things that includes player ability, scheme and the defenses' capabilities.

Reactions: t-noah and bozclone

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Redshirt freshman are still freshman. It's that second spring where a ton of players shine. If they both were early enrollment guys. I'd get a little more comfortable.

So being in Ames for an entire year and working with the team means nothing and doesn’t help huh? Got it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not sure where they were statistically, but how has ISU been in short yardage?

Reliable enough to line up to lean in and get it, no problem?

Is it safe to assume DM should have had more rushing yards in 2018 with better play up front? I think so.

If things have been so good why is there a thread on Oline concerns because of one injury, and why have multiple posters referred to it as a weakness?

2020 was about as dominant as I've seen ISU up front.
Everybody should watch that behind the LOS view of the TCU game in 2018 I think it was. Montgomery doing what he did was a damn near miracle. Same for Kempt for that matter.

The OL was not nearly as bad as people think. Purdy was always drifting back, staying put after a drop or bailing early when there was space to climb the pocket.

• Agree
Reactions: quasistellar

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Everybody should watch that behind the LOS view of the TCU game in 2018 I think it was. Montgomery doing what he did was a damn near miracle. Same for Kempt for that matter.

The OL was not nearly as bad as people think. Purdy was always drifting back, staying put after a drop or bailing early when there was space to climb the pocket.

Repeating but didn't get an answer...did they switch up their blocking scheme last season and would zone blocking been better for the personnel there?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don’t care how much the coaches talk up Maro and Treiber….. if we start the season with those two as our starting tackles…. that’s no bueno. Iowa’s DL will feast on Dekkers.

Sorry…. I’m just tired of our OL being the only thing holding us back every year from being really good. That and special teams of course! The only two things we can never figure out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I don’t care how much the coaches talk up Maro and Treiber….. if we start the season with those two as our starting tackles…. that’s no bueno. Iowa’s DL will feast on Dekkers.

Sorry…. I’m just tired of our OL being the only thing holding us back every year from being really good. That and special teams of course! The only two things we can never figure out.

3rd down conversions on D.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA

I think we were all thinking this far into the CMC era we would have a dominate OL but here we are again - we will see.

MisterO

Proverbs 19:11
Dec 6, 2020
We're always good for several false start penalties inside the 10 yd line that kills drives and we get 3 instead of 7.
Not only those- but how many times did we get a drive rolling, getting a couple first downs, and then false start erases a first down and puts us in a 3rd and long situation…effectively killing the drive.

Not bagging on our line, but if the penalties stop, there’s a couple games we win this year that we didn’t get last year.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don’t know that they did anything differently. They did some zone stuff, but it wasn’t like the built everything around it like Iowa used to do, or like Colts used to run when they had James and Manning. They ran the hell out that zone stretch and would run PA off it. I remember the Colts got out there so fast that Manning was about diving to hand it off. Breece would’ve been the perfect zone stretch guy.

I’m not sure that our guys are ideal for zone blocking. Not sure if the lateral quickness is there.

Reactions: madguy30