North Shore MN recommendations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyman05

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 7, 2010
Late July we’re going to the Apostle Islands for a couple days then the North Shore in Minnesota for a few days after. We have young kids but planning on doing a decent amount of hiking on trails 3 minor less.

Any recommendations for things to do, hikes to go on, places to eat, etc?

Thanks in advance!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
4-8...for hiking they can go a ways as a long as we bribe them with snacks
There's a ton of state parks up there. Tettegouche state park is great for some moderate hiking. Go from the visitor center to the mouth of the Baptism River and then go on a hike past the 3 falls. Your kids are probably a bit young for the educational aspects of Split Rock Lighthouse but look into it to see what you think. Gosseberry Falls is cool too. Some hiking to the falls and a bunch of different swimming holes.

I'd say to eat at Betty's Pies. I think it's in Castle Danger. Pretty good meals at a really good price with great pie.

There's a ropes course right around there somewhere too.

Duluth is another full day at least if you go there. I'd go to the Portland Malt Shoppe by the old Fitgers Brewery. Check the schedule to see when the large ships come in to the harbor. A boat tour of the harbor is really interesting. And you can rent a surry to ride around Canal Park. We like to eat at Grandma's when we go there because of the history of the place. The kids don't really need to know what the history entails. It's worth it to go to The Enger Tower for the views. There's also a Japanese Garden up there.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I went to the aquarium in Duluth several years ago and thought it was pretty cool.

Duluth itself can be quite a hike if you go to the high points in town to get a view.

Love me some Lake Superior.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
There's a ton of state parks up there. Tettegouche state park is great for some moderate hiking. Go from the visitor center to the mouth of the Baptism River and then go on a hike past the 3 falls. Your kids are probably a bit young for the educational aspects of Split Rock Lighthouse but look into it to see what you think. Gosseberry Falls is cool too. Some hiking to the falls and a bunch of different swimming holes.

I'd say to eat at Betty's Pies. I think it's in Castle Danger. Pretty good meals at a really good price with great pie.

There's a ropes course right around there somewhere too.

Duluth is another full day at least if you go there. I'd go to the Portland Malt Shoppe by the old Fitgers Brewery. Check the schedule to see when the large ships come in to the harbor. A boat tour of the harbor is really interesting. And you can rent a surry to ride around Canal Park. We like to eat at Grandma's when we go there because of the history of the place. The kids don't really need to know what the history entails. It's worth it to go to The Enger Tower for the views. There's also a Japanese Garden up there.

you eat how your grandmas while there? How the heck will that help him?

Cyfern

Sep 26, 2019
Late July we’re going to the Apostle Islands for a couple days then the North Shore in Minnesota for a few days after. We have young kids but planning on doing a decent amount of hiking on trails 3 minor less.

Any recommendations for things to do, hikes to go on, places to eat, etc?

Thanks in advance!
Be sure to stop by Minneapolis on your way. Interesting place. Almost like a foreign country.

nocsious3

Aug 23, 2013
Split Rock Lighthouse is cool and the tour is worth it. Walk the trail down to the shore as it's a cool view. Pick up a guide to the waterfalls. Several are easy trails of less than 2 miles from the lake shore highway. We probably hiked to 5 of them over the course of a week, with a 4 year old, and none of the waterfalls were a disappointment. Betty's Pies haw good food, but I thought their blueberry pie was awful. The ski resort just north of Lutsen has a mountain slide that's a bit expensive but super fun. Lutsen's resort is a cool place to stay. The wife really like the historical Glensheen mansion tour in Duluth.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Was up there 8ish years ago. Not a good experience. There was a government shut down and they boarded off all the state parks. So we tried to do what everyone else did and park on the side of the highway and walk up to the park. Changed a diaper on the hood of a car while a semi whizzed past at 65 mph. I need to get back up there when things are actually open and not a cluster.

I do remember eating at a little road side diner that absolutely amazing pie but I don’t have a clue what it was called.

isu_oak

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2006
In Grand Marais, my kids always enjoy skipping rocks on the beach and walking on the trails past the Coast Guard Station out to the lighthouse.

In Duluth we always try to catch a ship going through the canal. If it's raining, Fitger's in Duluth is decent. There's a brewery for you and a shopping mall for the wife.

Between Duluth and Grand Marais, the common sites are Split Rock Lighthouse and Gooseberry Falls, but there's also Tettegouche State Park that has a newly renovated Visitor Center. Something we always forget, but you might want to bring, are some water shoes for Gooseberry Falls. We always remember swimsuits but always forget the water shoes.

Reactions: cyman05

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
We stayed in Ashland a couple of years ago which is on the East side of Chequamegon Bay. The Deep Water Grill if excellent and has everything from burgers to seafood as well as good selection of local beer. Unfortunately, there is not much else to do in Ashland. Also very good cheese shop a few miles South of Ashland and a large Great Lakes visitors center with observation tower.

There are some nice hiknig trails around Washburn but if you go to the SE side of bay there are some waterfalls on a lot of the trails.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
When I went as part of a family vacation we stayed at Superior Shores Resort in Two Harbors. It was a really nice place and lots to do around there. Lots of towns not very far away. Betty's pies is really close and is a good place to eat. I really liked Gooseberry Falls which was close as well. I thought Split Rock Lighthouse was really cool too.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Betty's Pies comes up pretty quickly, be prepared to make the turn. Grand Marais is beautiful, had a lot of fun there, went up to the border and did some hiking. All in all, a nice trip up the coastline.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I did not have a meal at betty's pies, but we did purchase a pie to go. I hate to be "that guy" but I was far from impressed. It seemed like they had baked a freezer pie and charged me a boatload for it.

NetflixAndClone

Sep 6, 2015
The State of Hockey
If they are open you should check out Vikre distillery in Duluth. I always like their gin. It is a must grab for all our camping trips up north. Nothing better than sipping gin around a fire at night.

Reactions: Waukee4Cy

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've spent a fair amount of time up in that area, so here are a few more ideas that are off the beaten track that haven't been mentioned yet.

1. Coho Cafe in Tofte. Right off of 61 and they have really good food. I'm a big fan of their wild rice sausage pizza.

2. Judge C.R. Magney State Park - it's North of Grand Marais, and has a really cool waterfall called the Devil's Kettle. It's a bout a mile in, and it's really cool since the water funnels into the rock and it's unclear how it comes out again. Fun for kids (and adults) to think about.

3. Oberg Mountain (between Tofte and Lutsen). It's a decent hike up to the peak with great views. I did it ~10 years ago and remember it as not that challenging.

4. If you're really feeling adventurous and want to get out in a canoe, I'd go see one of my favorite waterfalls on the East side of the BWCA, Rose Lake Falls. You'd travel up the Gunflint Trail to the Hungry Jack area, put in on Bearskin Lake, portage to Duncan Lake and enjoy the falls between Duncan and Rose.
https://www.gunflintcanoeing.com/_wp2015/canoe-day-trips/rose-lake-falls/

Reactions: cycloneG