New Twister Sisters

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Two of three have signed so far: Madison Baier from Tama Iowa, and Nicole Blaskowsky, a 5-7 guard out of Sugar Land, Texas. Still waiting on Emiah Bingley to sign, but according to her twitter her ceremony is coming up within the hour. Emiah is from Lee's Summit Missouri.

Welcome to the Cyclones Ladies. Can't wait to cheer you on in Hilton.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
ISU has announced it, although I wonder if they inadvertently jumped the gun. Don't tell anyone...

It's also entirely possible that she has already signed and delivered, and that the school ceremony is for show.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
It is neat to see the men's and women's BB signee's congratulating each other on twitter. I love seeing the two teams being supportive and passionate about each others success. Lot's of shout outs back and forth between them welcoming each other to the cyclone family.

On Vanloo, does she have to sign a LOI again? I didn't think you did in a case like hers, but could be wrong, not real sure now that you bring it up.

Bipolarcy

Oct 27, 2008
I assumed you did. I figured the LOI is only for the upcoming school year.

You only sign one LOI in your college career. Even if you go to juco first, where you don't have to sign an LOI. Even if you transfer you don't have to sign an LOI at your new school.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
You only sign one LOI in your college career. Even if you go to juco first, where you don't have to sign an LOI. Even if you transfer you don't have to sign an LOI at your new school.

You never "have" to sign an LOI, but I know what you are saying. :)

I figured I'd go ahead and see what I could find.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect...ERES&CACHEID=85bbf0004e0dc6ec94fef41ad6fc8b25

How is the NLI declared null and void?
<snip>
[Athlete] does not meet NCAA, institutional or conference
eligibility requirements.
If NLI is declared null and void
or a complete release granted, a
prospective student‐athlete is
not permitted to sign another
NLI until the next signing year.
There's more info at this link as well: http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/cfefa2004e0dc6e994fbf41ad6fc8b25/Administrative+Guidelines+%2810+1+10%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=cfefa2004e0dc6e994fbf41ad6fc8b25

Basically, if you are entering a four-year college for the first time (from HS or juco) or are a 4-2-4 transfer, you may sign an LOI, even if you have signed one in the past. However, the past one must not still be in effect.

For the prior one to be declared declared null and void, there must be a valid reason (e.g. failure to qualify, school dropped sport, etc). For jucos (2-4 and 4-2-4), if you previously signed an LOI prior to entering the juco, another way to invalidate your prior LOI is to graduate from the juco. That then allows you to sign a new LOI.

Last edited:

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Interesting on BF video, he talked about how both Kidd and Emiah could play 1 - 3. I guess I thought Emiah was more of a 1, and Kidd more of a 2. Good to get some versatility.

Sounds like they both will be great additions to the program. Got to like that Maddie wants to be here. BF said she was the most excited for an offer of any kid in program history.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
It is neat to see the men's and women's BB signee's congratulating each other on twitter. I love seeing the two teams being supportive and passionate about each others success. Lot's of shout outs back and forth between them welcoming each other to the cyclone family.

On Vanloo, does she have to sign a LOI again? I didn't think you did in a case like hers, but could be wrong, not real sure now that you bring it up.

Here is a link to an Ames Tribune article that says:
"Julie Vanloo, a 5-7 guard from Oostende, Belgium, who signed a letter of intent with ISU in April, is also expected to join the Cyclones next season. She is attending college in her home country this year while trying to meet NCAA eligibility standards."

Ames Tribune > Archives > Ames Tribune > Sports > ISU women’s basketball: Baier, Bingley, Blaskowsky sign with Cyclones

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Since Vanloo is apparently attending college and not something more like a prep school (which is what I had been thinking she'd do) she is treated as she would if she were attending a four-year school in the US. Therefore, she is NOT eligible to sign an LOI, which makes me feel better about the fact that she didn't. :)

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/cfefa2004e0dc6e994fbf41ad6fc8b25/Administrative+Guidelines+%2810+1+10%29.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=cfefa2004e0dc6e994fbf41ad6fc8b25

INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTION TRANSFER: A transfer student from an international collegiate institution (college, university or two-year college), is considered a four-year transfer per NCAA rules; therefore, an international transfer student would not be permitted to sign an NLI.
According to her facebook page, she's at Artevelde Hogeschool.

Arteveldehogeschool - English

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
The NCAA transfer rules are not easy to figure out, but here's what I understand:

Since Vanloo attends an international university, she is treated like a four-year student in the US. Ordinarily, that means she would have to redshirt a season. However, if her current school doesn't have intercollegiate basketball (and I don't see anything on their website to indicate any athletic program) then she falls under the nonsponsored sport exception and does NOT have to redshirt.

Her "5 to play 4" clock would start with her enrollment at her current college, however, so she'd have four seasons of eligibility but only four years in which to play them. If she were hurt and got a medical hardship, she'd have to petition the NCAA for a sixth year. She'd likely get it, but that's not a given.

isufan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 23, 2009
SW Iowa
To those in the know (mred, twistedredbird), do you think Vanloo will end up here or not? Is it still 50/50?

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
To those in the know (mred, twistedredbird), do you think Vanloo will end up here or not? Is it still 50/50?

I'm still fairly confident but I have no info that everyone else doesn't have. We have a scholarship spot for her and she's still in college rather than turning pro. If she weren't coming here, she probably would have turned pro in Belgium already.