New Arrowhead?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I've yet to meet a Green Bay fan that want's to dome/ retractable roof their stadium.
Well this is true, I was just saying, that the there are some cold/bad weather games in several locals. Not that those locations want a roof or anything similar. I doubt GB will be looking to replace Lambeau any time soon. My guess is they will do whatever they can to continue to upgrade it for as long as possible/indefinitely.

Reactions: NWICY

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
The Royals will move downtown to a new stadium and the Chiefs will play hardball to get the retractable roof that was in the original plan, and then call in all their markers to finally get a Super Bowl in KC.
No way they move to another location unless say the state of Kansas is going to build them an entire new stadium.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
By the time the Royals get downtown the pendulum will have swung to the point where it’s hot to build new stadiums in the burbs again.

Nationally, office occupancy is still only 43% of what it was pre pandemic, so I think people are overestimating what building downtown would do for attendance for a franchise that has been honestly terrible since winning the world series in 2015.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

tman24

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Nationally, office occupancy is still only 43% of what it was pre pandemic, so I think people are overestimating what building downtown would do for attendance for a franchise that has been honestly terrible since winning the world series in 2015.
dont bring logic. If the billionaires can get the public to pay billions for their stadium they will do it.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Guessing ownership is driving force behind wanting to do something with Arrowhead because I doubt most Chiefs fans are calling for a new stadium. It's one of the best atmosphere's to watch an NFL game IMO and I don't really see how a new stadium would make it any better. It is a bit funny though that I am a fan of 2 teams with 2 of the oldest stadiums in their sport with the Chiefs and the Cubs. I think both venues are 2 of the best places in the country to catch a game and I'm fine with renovations to preserve them and update them where possible but as a fan I'd be disappointed if either ever are replaced with new "state of the art" facility unless either come to the point they have no other option because the stadium is no longer structurally sound.

Fenway Park is another one I would hate to see replaced too, hoping some day to catch a game there.

• Agree
Reactions: aeroclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Guessing ownership is driving force behind wanting to do something with Arrowhead because I doubt most Chiefs fans are calling for a new stadium. It's one of the best atmosphere's to watch an NFL game IMO and I don't really see how a new stadium would make it any better. It is a bit funny though that I am a fan of 2 teams with 2 of the oldest stadiums in their sport with the Chiefs and the Cubs. I think both venues are 2 of the best places in the country to catch a game and I'm fine with renovations to preserve them and update them where possible but as a fan I'd be disappointed if either ever are replaced with new "state of the art" facility unless either come to the point they have no other option because the stadium is no longer structurally sound.

Fenway Park is another one I would hate to see replaced too, hoping some day to catch a game there.
Ricketts seems to care more about the real estate around Wrigley than the team now.
Clark Hunt seems like a pretty classy owner.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Hard to believe that Royals stadium is the 6th oldest in the league, built in 1973, it was remodeled not that long ago, which was silly if they are moving downtown.

If they move downtown, I will miss the ease of getting in and out of the stadium with parking all around it. Great place to tailgate before a game and easy to get too.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Hard to believe that Royals stadium is the 6th oldest in the league, built in 1973, it was remodeled not that long ago, which was silly if they are moving downtown.

If they move downtown, I will miss the ease of getting in and out of the stadium with parking all around it. Great place to tailgate before a game and easy to get too.
Just took our family there for a game while taking a short vacation to KC, great experience made better by how easy it was to get in and out. I really liked the stadium as a whole, although you could tell some of the concourse looks pretty dated. All in all, I was surprised to hear from one of the ushers they were pretty confident of the team moving to a downtown stadium within the next 8-10 years. I would happily take our family back if it were at the current stadium/location.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Just took our family there for a game while taking a short vacation to KC, great experience made better by how easy it was to get in and out. I really liked the stadium as a whole, although you could tell some of the concourse looks pretty dated. All in all, I was surprised to hear from one of the ushers they were pretty confident of the team moving to a downtown stadium within the next 8-10 years. I would happily take our family back if it were at the current stadium/location.
Everything I have read and heard is that the city is pushing to pull the Royals downtown to get better use of the Power and light district and the hotels and eating places in that area.
The new stadium will only seat about 37,000 which will make it one of the smaller MLB stadiums, but unless they are playing the Cardinals, Yankees or Red Sox, there is not much a crowd there anyway.

I still find it amazing that the Royals were given first chance to move to the national league and refused because they wanted to keep playing the Yankees and Red Sox at home 3 times a year. The Brewers jumped at the chance, realizing that playing the Cubs and Cardinals 8-10 times a year at home is going to draw a hell of a lot more fans than one series each year against the Yanks and Sox's.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The Royals will move downtown to a new stadium and the Chiefs will play hardball to get the retractable roof that was in the original plan, and then call in all their markers to finally get a Super Bowl in KC.
No way they move to another location unless say the state of Kansas is going to build them an entire new stadium.

Kansas gambling law likely becomes legal July 1 and the majority of the proceeds going towards solicitation of a sports franchise.

I do think your first sentence is likely but expect Kansas/Legends to make a strong push.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Kansas gambling law likely becomes legal July 1 and the majority of the proceeds going towards solicitation of a sports franchise.

I do think your first sentence is likely but expect Kansas/Legends to make a strong push.
Sounds like the Royals are hoping a bidding war to build them a new stadium breaks out between KCM and KCK. That is what happened when the Rangers were looking to build them a new stadium, they wanted to build in downtown Dallas, and then the city of Arlington, wanting to keep them, basically gave them a billion dollars to build a new stadium right beside the old one and Jerry's World. They kept the old stadium, they want to have concerts and high school games there I guess.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Sounds like the Royals are hoping a bidding war to build them a new stadium breaks out between KCM and KCK. That is what happened when the Rangers were looking to build them a new stadium, they wanted to build in downtown Dallas, and then the city of Arlington, wanting to keep them, basically gave them a billion dollars to build a new stadium right beside the old one and Jerry's World. They kept the old stadium, they want to have concerts and high school games there I guess.

Could... I don't get the sense KCK interested in bidding war for Royals, but certainly could be an option. Think Royals are downtown or bust at this point, but who knows.

Dgilbertson

Sep 16, 2023
Street car is gonna help. It’s another downtown attraction. Park around University/plaza. Hop on the streetcar, grab a drink, catch the game. Head to a bar.

Some Royals diehards that love to tailgate will not like it, but think its a win for regional fans and KC tourism overall.

Not without some logistic difficulties of course.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron