Neutralizing stretch 4’s

baller1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WDM
With Pemsl hitting the market it had me thinking: could Steve start the next wave of great basketball at Iowa State by reversing course on the spacing offense back to a more traditional 2 big man look? Envision Pemsl on the left block with Solomon “Monster” Young on the right block, that could wreak havoc on weak stretch 4s trying to defend down low in the big 12 and beyond...

HoraceGrant

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2011
You could even run pick and roll with Young and Pemsl and really throw all these wimpy small-ball teams for a loop. They wouldn't know what hit them.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
With Pemsl hitting the market it had me thinking: could Steve start the next wave of great basketball at Iowa State by reversing course on the spacing offense back to a more traditional 2 big man look? Envision Pemsl on the left block with Solomon “Monster” Young on the right block, that could wreak havoc on weak stretch 4s trying to defend down low in the big 12 and beyond...
Pemsl is like a good d2 player. Hard pass.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Pemsl can't play more than 6-7 minutes in a game without getting injured. Even then he's pretty much guaranteed to miss half the season.

I agree with your premise that teams will eventually start going back to traditional bigs. Everything goes in cycles.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Probably would need a few rule changes to really make it a consistently viable offense. Maybe move the 3 point line back some more relax the freedom of movement on the perimeter.

CaptainClutch

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 1, 2014
Pemsl has knees almost as bad as Hans Brase’s and the post moves of Adam Woodbury. Hard pass. And why do that when we have a 7 footer coming in

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
Based on the transfers we're going after, it appears Prohm is planning on either 1) Going real small with Johnson at the 4, 2) Foster being ready to start, or 3) moving Solo to the 4 and starting him and Conditt. Any other options I'm missing?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
He would be the worst big man on our team next year. He might be decent in a league like the Valley

hoopitup

Feb 8, 2012
West Des Moines

I don’t see him fitting in to our stuff. But I do agree some team, at some point, is going to go away from spacing offense and incorporate post players again.