Naismith Award

sj4

Jun 12, 2012
I lost track of things and got to wondering who was the Naismith Coach of the year. And it turned out it was the Providence coach. But then I found the top 10 finalists and was stunned that coach Otzelberger wasn't even on the list. Taking a team from 22 losses to 22 wins in one year doesn't even get recognized??? Seems like something's wrong there. Perhaps not winning it is understandable but looking at the list it just doesn't make sense that he's not on the finalist list. Just a rant so not expecting a big long thread to develop but I couldn't find a thread on this board that talked about it. Here are the finalists.

Mark AdamsTexas TechBig 12
John CalipariKentuckySEC
Ed CooleyProvidenceBig EAST
Scott DrewBaylorBig 12
Steve ForbesWake ForestACC
Greg GardWisconsinBig Ten
Tommy LloydArizonaPac-12
Matt McMahonMurray StateOhio Valley
Bruce PearlAuburnSEC
Kelvin SampsonHoustonAAC

Jayshellberg

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 4, 2016
Omaha
To get National Coach of the year recognition, your team needs to finish towards the top of its conference. Not saying I agree with that, but that’s the deal. Voters are more impressed with a coach having his team compete for a conference championship, who wasn’t expected to, than one that is expected to finish last, but finishes towards the middle of their conference. Just the way it is.

tomar1

Aug 16, 2008
I lost track of things and got to wondering who was the Naismith Coach of the year. And it turned out it was the Providence coach. But then I found the top 10 finalists and was stunned that coach Otzelberger wasn't even on the list. Taking a team from 22 losses to 22 wins in one year doesn't even get recognized??? Seems like something's wrong there. Perhaps not winning it is understandable but looking at the list it just doesn't make sense that he's not on the finalist list. Just a rant so not expecting a big long thread to develop but I couldn't find a thread on this board that talked about it. Here are the finalists.

Mark AdamsTexas TechBig 12
John CalipariKentuckySEC
Ed CooleyProvidenceBig EAST
Scott DrewBaylorBig 12
Steve ForbesWake ForestACC
Greg GardWisconsinBig Ten
Tommy LloydArizonaPac-12
Matt McMahonMurray StateOhio Valley
Bruce PearlAuburnSEC
Kelvin SampsonHoustonAAC
To get National Coach of the year recognition, your team needs to finish towards the top of its conference. Not saying I agree with that, but that’s the deal. Voters are more impressed with a coach having his team compete for a conference championship, who wasn’t expected to, than one that is expected to finish last, but finishes towards the middle of their conference. Just the way it is.
However I do see some cheaters on there that’s comforting they’re still getting recognized!

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Not taking anything from Drew or Adams, but Self and TJ would probably have made more sense for the two Big XII representatives.

Reactions: Cjreimer