Metronet vs Mediacom

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I was intrigued by Metronet but Metronet has not endeared themselves to the people of Grimes. As they've been installing lines to expand, they've cut other utility lines and let themselves into peoples' backyards (and let some dogs out in the process). The community page is full of gripes about Metronet's installation teams. It makes me hesitant to purchase their services.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
I switched from Mediacom to Metronet last week. My download/upload speeds are testing substantially higher, but I'm not noticing any difference. There was an outage 2 days after I got the service which infuriated me, but looks like that truly may have been a stroke of bad luck.

All in all, I'd go with whichever is cheapest. Metronet's technology fee is annoying, but it does include a good router and is probably still cheaper than most Mediacom packages. They're both typical cable and internet providers and will nickel and dime you whenever possible.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I was intrigued by Metronet but Metronet has not endeared themselves to the people of Grimes. As they've been installing lines to expand, they've cut other utility lines and let themselves into peoples' backyards (and let some dogs out in the process). The community page is full of gripes about Metronet's installation teams. It makes me hesitant to purchase their services.

I noticed someone in my backyard the other day and quickly realized there were checking a utility - didn't think anything of it. I come up from my basement office for lunch and there are 3 guys and they've dug a 3-4 ft wide hole at least 5 feet deep in the middle of my yard. They did a pretty good job filling it/patching it/replacing grass but they didn't knock or try to let us know what was up until I went out and talked to them. Very odd.

They finished going through our neighborhood recently. CenturyLink has good speeds and a good locked in price for life and has been mostly reliable so not sure a switch makes sense for us.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Do they contract that work out? I realize they are still paying the contractor if they do, but it may not be reflective of how the company themselves operates.

Reactions: Turn2

mdk2isu

Jan 30, 2013
Not of this World
Do they contract that work out? I realize they are still paying the contractor if they do, but it may not be reflective of how the company themselves operates.

I believe so. I’ve seen a lot of trucks driving around that have “contractor for MetroNet” on the side.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
Other than price, Mediacom is pretty solid these days.

Until you work from home for 15 months and experience an average of 2-3 outages/day. Not long ones that they can identify and fix, mind you. Outages just long enough to kick everyone off VPN and drop all video calls, then go back to normal. I can't ******* wait for MetroNet.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Until you work from home for 15 months and experience an average of 2-3 outages/day. Not long ones that they can identify and fix, mind you. Outages just long enough to kick everyone off VPN and drop all video calls, then go back to normal. I can't ******* wait for MetroNet.

This is me and why I switched to MetroNet. Rock solid VPN connection all day since making the switch.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

They cut a Centurylink line in our neighborhood and left several WFH people without a connection for literally days. Yeah they haven’t exactly endeared themselves around here either.

PREACH

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA

I live in Grimes and they were awesome in our neighborhood. They had to dig right where my garden is at and told us they may have to remove some plants. Asked if they had to do that please try to dig them up with enough dirt I could at least transplant them. I have a Mediacom and CenturyLink box right next to where they placed their box as well as an electrical line they had to locate and they didn't hit any of them and they didn't damage my garden at all. In fact you can barely tell they were even there after they were done. I was very impressed, the guy that was digging got down on his knees in our garden and was being very careful not to damage anything.

Before they even started digging I had already pre-ordered their services because their pricing beats both Mediacom and CenturyLink for the speeds they have offered me so I am eager to see how their service is when I can finally get it installed. The one thing the Grimes FB page ranters don't realize is the contractors doing the work are digging hundreds of holes a day and are relying that the utility markers are accurate which they obviously are not sometimes so of course when they hit something someone is going to ***** about it because most people are going to rant about a bad experience over 10 good experiences they have. These same people are always complaining about how bad their Medicom or CL service is too so they should be glad another ISP is coming into town to give them competition and hopefully make them improve their services and prices. I have CL and it's been rock solid for stability as we don't see slow downs or frequent outages so hope I am not jinxing myself by making the switch that is going to greatly increase my speed and save me some money. I see they offer a fiber TV service too and if the service is solid and stable I may consider dropping my dish for that as their pricing is significantly lower than what I pay for basically the same channels.

Shawker

This May Not Be Accurate
Jun 19, 2014
Des Moines
We had Century Link until about two years ago when I got sick of maxing out at around 20 mbps here in Grimes. We've had Mediacom since that time with very few outages. It's not the cheapest but it's been very reliable and is way faster than CL. If Metronet is significantly cheaper I'd look into them but I'm doubting it's a huge difference in price.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
We had Century Link until about two years ago when I got sick of maxing out at around 20 mbps here in Grimes. We've had Mediacom since that time with very few outages. It's not the cheapest but it's been very reliable and is way faster than CL. If Metronet is significantly cheaper I'd look into them but I'm doubting it's a huge difference in price.

MetroNet's slowest advertised speed (200 Mbps) is $30/month cheaper than mediacom's 100 Mbps.

Apr 19, 2006
I think most of the Mediacom hate come from people who lease their equipment. Once you have your owner modem and router Mediacom is actually really solid. I almost always get a higher speed than what I'm paying for too.
What router and modem did you purchase/ recommend to replace Mediacom's?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006

I think they really need to fix your connection. I had similar issues with Mediacom and it took them 5+ trips to actually fix the real problem. Since then, it's been a rock. I'm also in a role that involves a few thousand people in the metro with most of them being on Mediacom and they've actually been pretty reliable overall. A lot of these are call center ee's that need rock solid connections 100% of the time. Since the pandemic started, Mediacom has had one big outage in the metro that really hurt us and that had something to do with fiber being cut in Washington D.C.

Reactions: danielyp29

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
Dumb question, does Metronet use the same coax type connections as Mediacom. Could I use my internal wiring that is used for Mediacom today for Metronet?

Metronet is fiber, so no they don’t use coax. If you have hardwired cat 5/6 you can still tie into that after they run the main line in.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
I live in Grimes and they were awesome in our neighborhood. They had to dig right where my garden is at and told us they may have to remove some plants. Asked if they had to do that please try to dig them up with enough dirt I could at least transplant them. I have a Mediacom and CenturyLink box right next to where they placed their box as well as an electrical line they had to locate and they didn't hit any of them and they didn't damage my garden at all. In fact you can barely tell they were even there after they were done. I was very impressed, the guy that was digging got down on his knees in our garden and was being very careful not to damage anything.

Before they even started digging I had already pre-ordered their services because their pricing beats both Mediacom and CenturyLink for the speeds they have offered me so I am eager to see how their service is when I can finally get it installed. The one thing the Grimes FB page ranters don't realize is the contractors doing the work are digging hundreds of holes a day and are relying that the utility markers are accurate which they obviously are not sometimes so of course when they hit something someone is going to ***** about it because most people are going to rant about a bad experience over 10 good experiences they have. These same people are always complaining about how bad their Medicom or CL service is too so they should be glad another ISP is coming into town to give them competition and hopefully make them improve their services and prices. I have CL and it's been rock solid for stability as we don't see slow downs or frequent outages so hope I am not jinxing myself by making the switch that is going to greatly increase my speed and save me some money. I see they offer a fiber TV service too and if the service is solid and stable I may consider dropping my dish for that as their pricing is significantly lower than what I pay for basically the same channels.

I'm glad you had a good experience. I read a lot of ranting posts on the community FB page (which is full of complainers) and didn't get a good feel for Metronet.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I do IT support and I absolutely hate it when we get support tickets for users with Mediacom that are constantly getting kicked off their VPN or horrible speeds. I am certain they throttle VPN traffic as I have seen people with 500mbps or 1gb plans get worse speed tests than I do on just a 20 mbps Centurylink line. They test their home devices and they get normal speeds but their VPN I've seen some not even get 10 mb results. Of course Mediacom denies anything is wrong with their service even after we've replaced their machine and they still get dropped like they were on the original machine. Many times they press Mediacom more and they come out and replace a modem or find an issue with hardware in their box in the neighborhood or something but even after that still sometimes get speeds that are throttled while our users on other ISP do not see that.

I'm going to switch to Metronet once it's available in my neighborhood in Grimes. Our Centurylink has been very reliable and my wife has had no issues working from home on it but Metronet will offer much better speeds for about the same we pay now.

Could this be a net neutrality thing?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron