Meniscus repair

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Anyone ever had a meniscus repair? I'm about 2 weeks out from surgery and wondering what to expect when I get off crutches (no weight-bearing for 6 weeks).

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Anyone ever had a meniscus repair? I'm about 2 weeks out from surgery and wondering what to expect when I get off crutches (no weight-bearing for 6 weeks).
Sore. I've heard it's not awful though after the first few days. Friend of mind had it done.

GMackey32

TJ's spy team member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2009
Ames Via Cedar Falls
Do you think I could play golf after getting off crutches?
Possibly. It'll depend on how strong the muscles are around your knee. Also depends which knee it is. 6 weeks on crutches seems excessive to me since I walked out of the hospital both times I had my done but they also clipped the piece that was torn.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
Possibly. It'll depend on how strong the muscles are around your knee. Also depends which knee it is. 6 weeks on crutches seems excessive to me since I walked out of the hospital both times I had my done but they also clipped the piece that was torn.
yeah, they did some newer procedure where they pull the meniscus back into the joint with stiches through the bone to hold it.

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: NWICY and GMackey32

CyNews

Mar 19, 2021
Should work. Mine was so bad,along with other issues, that they couldn’t fully repair it. Looking at knee replacement in future.

Reactions: 1100011CS

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
I’ve had a few. No big deal but you have to follow the timeline. You’ll feel better pretty quickly but if you get back to activities too soon it will set you back. My doctors always gave me a two month timeline and I’d feel better after a few weeks and get back into things. In retrospect, a mistake.

Edit - misread. Repair is very different than just trimming the tear.

Reactions: 1100011CS

CloneFanInKC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Do you think I could play golf after getting off crutches?
Yes. The question should be how soon could I play golf after crutches.

I’ve worked with athletes that competed 2-3 weeks after surgery. I think casual golf 4-6 weeks post crutches is realistic.

Just depends on removal vs repair and age due to estimated healing time period.

mark42

Aug 27, 2016
I had meniscus repair. Recovery wasn’t too bad, after the 1st few days post op. I was golfing after approx 30 days. However this was several decades ago, when I was much younger.

jrastrel

Apr 25, 2006
San Diego, CA
I think a lot of people on here may be getting repair vs meniscectomy confused. I had mine repaired and it was a slow recovery after the 6-7 weeks of not being able to bend that leg. My quads basically disappeared from atrophy and then had 3-4 months of PT trying to regain the full range of motion and building up strength. I had to start slow with swimming before I could get back to normal activities. If I remember correctly it was around 5-6 months before I was able to do everything. I'm glad I got it repaired because it's been over 20 years and I haven't had any pain/arthritis. Good luck with the recovery!

Reactions: Cyjacks and NWICY

JVAR

Mar 27, 2006
Eagle Grove, IA
I had a meniscus repair. My mistake was I walked on it and tried to do things way too early. It really swelled up. Really make an effort to rest the first week at least. When I came out of anesthesia, I think I said some stupid crap to the nurse. She is really hot, and I believe I told her that. Every time she saw me there after, she would smile and laugh and say hello. That’s the drawback of living in a small town.

Reactions: NWICY

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
I think a lot of people on here may be getting repair vs meniscectomy confused. I had mine repaired and it was a slow recovery after the 6-7 weeks of not being able to bend that leg. My quads basically disappeared from atrophy and then had 3-4 months of PT trying to regain the full range of motion and building up strength. I had to start slow with swimming before I could get back to normal activities. If I remember correctly it was around 5-6 months before I was able to do everything. I'm glad I got it repaired because it's been over 20 years and I haven't had any pain/arthritis. Good luck with the recovery!
So I’ve actually heard of this happening more and more (like third time the past 12 months) and your ortho really gave you horrible advice. (Or something was misunderstood)

PT should begin very very soon after a repair and you should be bending your knee and doing regular exercise WITH THE PT, not on your own unless instructed. This plan is to specifically avoid the atrophy of the quad and hamstring which can cause future injury and really delay recovery. Outside of that too should be in a leg brace for 6 weeks min. You should be able to fast walk or jog around 4 months give or take a few weeks. It largely depends on your age and prior physical activity. Return to sports is usually 7+ months depending on your sport and the motion required.

This is all for a repair/trim, other procedures will have very different timeline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyjacks and NWICY

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
I'm still recovering from an MCL injury 16 years ago. Entirely my fault for rushing back info basketball then soccer while being lazy with the at home PT. Don't skimp on the PT would be my only advice.