Marvel Cinematic Universe

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
I still love Batista as Drax. The story of him adlibing the quote "What is Gamora" and the director replying, you are good at your job had me cracking up.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Finally saw Black Panther last week and Infinity War last night.

I enjoyed Black Panther - I thought it was good, but I wouldn't consider it in my top 3 favorite MCU films. I liked it about as much as I liked Spider-Man: Homecoming and Thor: Ragnarok. I definitely liked B.P. more than Infinity War.

Infinty War - I thought the first 5-10 minutes were really clunky but then it finally figured itself out. It was very enjoyable throughout. For being a 2 hour and 40 minute movie it went by really fast. The Guardians of the Galaxy were the best characters and it almost felt like this could have been considered GotG 2.5, in the same way that Civil War is more like an Avengers movie than it is a Captain America movie. I was shocked with how little screen time Captain America had. I think everyone else had their moment to shine, but Cap seemed like the most under-utilized of the cast. I'm looking forward to what happens in Avengers 4, but I don't know if I'll see that in theaters or not.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Just got back from a family vacation to Atlanta which was really fun, and one highlight of that trip was a hero tour we took while we were there:

https://atlantamovietours.com/tours/hero-tour/

Unbeknownst to many, Atlanta is pretty much the main hub where most all of the MCU movies are shot out of and is really one of the main hubs where all movie and TV is shot out of anymore, mainly due to the tax breaks the state of Georgia gives to studios making films there. While not the only movie studio located there, Pinewood Studios is a big one located there and the main one Marvel utilizes.

Anyway, on the tour, I got to see a ton of Atlanta filming locations for not only many MCU movies, but also many other movies/TV such as Hunger Games, The Walking Dead, The Boss, Fast and Furious movies... etc. Here are a few highlights I got to see for anyone interested.

MCU locations
-Avengers headquarters (really the Porsche Headquarters)
-Spider-Man: Homecoming corner bank where Spider-Man thwarted robbers
-Captain America: Civil War all Lagos, Nigeria (opening scene) locations like the building where Captain America attacks, the building that is blown up by Scarlet Witch and where the whole market scene was filmed
-The window that The Vulture busts down through in Spider-Man: Homecoming trailers only
-Avengers: Infinity War park battle scene which is supposed to be Central Park in New York
-Giant Pez scene location from Ant-Man and the Wasp
-Black Panther Wakanda Marketplace location (same place as Lagos, Nigeria marketplace)
-Black Panther San Francisco apartment building where young Killmonger's father is killed (also happens to be across the street from Martin Luther King's church and burial place)

Other film/TV locations
-Walking Dead Rick Grimes epic scene location where he walks into Atlanta on a horse from Season 1
-Walking Dead terminus location with all the cannibals
-Fast and Furious car chase locations
-The Boss Peter Dinklage argument location with Melissa McCarthy
-Tyler Perry's studio
-Atlanta TV show filming location
-Hunger Games elevator scene with Katniss (same place as Vulture busting through window)
-Hunger Games plane takeoff location
-Hunger Games wall where "The odds are never in your favor" is written (still has the words there)
-Hunger Games location where the crowd gathers for the lottery

One thing that was kind of fun was that our tour guide is an actor currently on the Walking Dead, whose character is a recurring character at the Hilltop town.

Last edited:

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I was thinking about this last night.

So far, the MCU has really only produced maybe six antagonists worth remembering.

Loki
Hela
The Vulture
Andy Serkis' arms dealer
Killmonger
Thanos

Most of them were one-offs or already gone, though. :(

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines

So far, the MCU has really only produced maybe six antagonists worth remembering.

Loki
Hela
The Vulture
Andy Serkis' arms dealer
Killmonger
Thanos

If you can't remember his characters name (Ulysses Klaue) was he actually memorable? :)

I was going to list Robert Redfords character in Winter Solider as one of the better MCU villains - but I can't remember his characters name myself.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
If you can't remember his characters name (Ulysses Klaue) was he actually memorable? :)

I was going to list Robert Redfords character in Winter Solider as one of the better MCU villains - but I can't remember his characters name myself.

I just remembered him as Andy Serkis.

I honestly wondered if it was acting or just being himself. :)

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion

Loki
Hela
The Vulture
Andy Serkis' arms dealer
Killmonger
Thanos

Winter Soldier was memorable.

There was a nice reaction in my theater during Infinity War to a cameo villian...

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Winter Soldier was memorable.

There was a nice reaction in my theater during Infinity War to a cameo villian...

They converted two of their better antagonists -- the Winter Soldier and Scarlet Witch -- into heroes. I am not really sure they count anymore after that.

I guess you could say they did that with Loki in the end, too.

• Agree
Reactions: laminak

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

Loki
Hela
The Vulture
Andy Serkis' arms dealer
Killmonger
Thanos

They've always had a villain problem.... but that's generally comics wide. It's why the Joker is so iconic. It's honestly why they keep pitting heroes against each other (Civil War and Batman V. Superman) because they are generally more interesting.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Pretty interesting ranking system.

https://chuckskoda.com/mcu_rank.html
This was how it formulated mine but there was several options I could have gone either way.
  • Infinity War
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Captain America: Civil War
  • Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  • Iron Man
  • Thor: Ragnarok
  • The Avengers
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  • Iron Man 2
  • Black Panther
  • Spider-Man: Homecoming
  • Avengers: Age of Ultron
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Captain America: The First Avenger
  • Iron Man 3
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man
  • Thor
  • Thor: The Dark World

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
This was how it formulated mine but there was several options I could have gone either way.
  • Infinity War
  • Iron Man
  • The Avengers
  • Iron Man 2
  • Black Panther
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Iron Man 3
  • Doctor Strange
  • Ant-Man
  • Thor

Mine was pretty close:

Infinity War
Thor Ragnarok
GoG 1
Iron Man 1
Spider Man
Winter Soldier
Dr. Strange
GoG 2
Ant Man
Civil War
Thor 1
Avengers 1
Black Panther

Reactions: Triggermv

michaelrr1

Mar 30, 2006
WDM
Visit site
  1. Infinity War
  2. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  3. The Avengers
  4. Captain America: Civil War
  5. Guardians of the Galaxy
  6. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  7. Iron Man
  8. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  9. Captain America: The First Avenger
  10. Black Panther
  11. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
  12. Thor
  13. Thor: Ragnarok
  14. Ant-Man
  15. Thor: The Dark World
  16. Doctor Strange
  17. The Incredible Hulk
  18. Iron Man 3
  19. Iron Man 2

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
https://deadline.com/2018/05/jake-gyllenhaal-mysterio-spider-man-homecoming-sequel-1202395167/

Jake Gyllenhaal is apparently in talks to play Mysterio in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel. I've got a few thoughts after hearing this:

-What would this do to his prospects of becoming Batman in the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman trilogy? I'd say it doesn't help them. Overall, he is my current #1 for becoming Batman, so I'd be sad if this knocked him out.
-I love Jake Gyllenhaal and would think he'd be a great Mysterio, but if he is going to join the MCU, I'd much rather save him for some hero role instead. Shoot, he is actually also my #1 choice for the next Wolverine. Don't believe me, watch Southpaw.
-Mysterio is an interesting choice for Spidey's next villain and could be cool if pulled off well. However, it will be a challenge for the directors and writers to not make him too cheesey and campy. If anyone can do it though, it would be Feige. Shoot, he made The Vulture not be cheesey and stupid.
-My #1 choice for the next Spidey villain is still without a doubt Kraven. However, it is possible to pull off two villains at once and Mysterio and Kraven could be an interesting combo. Sure, there are countless times this did NOT work well, but also many times it did. Shoot, simply go back to Spider-Man: Homecoming which featured not only The Vulture, but also two different versions of The Shocker.
-Talks are just that.... talks. However, based on MCU history in casting villains, there is usually a pretty good chance things work out and come through once rumors like this of negotiations get leaked. However, if you remember Michael Keaton as The Vulture, he was once in negotiations, then out of negotiations, then back in them before it was all said and done.

Last edited:

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
https://deadline.com/2018/05/jake-gyllenhaal-mysterio-spider-man-homecoming-sequel-1202395167/

Jake Gyllenhaal is apparently in talks to play Mysterio in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming sequel. I've got a few thoughts after hearing this:

-What would this do to his prospects of becoming Batman in the upcoming Matt Reeves Batman trilogy? I'd say it doesn't help them. Overall, he is my current #1 for becoming Batman, so I'd be sad if this knocked him out.
-I love Jake Gyllenhaal and would think he'd be a great Mysterio, but if he is going to join the MCU, I'd much rather save him for some hero role instead. Shoot, he is actually also my #1 choice for the next Wolverine. Don't believe me, watch Southpaw.
-Mysterio is an interesting choice for Spidey's next villain and could be cool if pulled off well. However, it will be a challenge for the directors and writers to not make him too cheesey and campy. If anyone can do it though, it would be Feige. Shoot, he made The Vulture not be cheesey and stupid.
-My #1 choice for the next Spidey villain is still without a doubt Kraven. However, it is possible to pull off two villains at once and Mysterio and Kraven could be an interesting combo. Sure, there are countless times this did NOT work well, but also many times it did. Shoot, simply go back to Spider-Man: Homecoming which featured not only The Vulture, but also two different versions of The Shocker.
-Talks are just that.... talks. However, based on MCU history in casting villains, there is usually a pretty good chance things work out and come through once rumors like this of negotiations get leaked. However, if you remember Michael Keaton as The Vulture, he was once in negotiations, then out of negotiations, then back in them before it was all said and done.

There's a rumor from a week ago that Affleck now wants to remain as Batman in the DCEU. https://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-batman-dceu-rumors-future/

Mysterio is really campy-looking, but if you look past the costume there is a lot of cinematic appeal to have him as a villain. His "power" is that he is a stuntman and special effects coordinator - that would be amazing to see how those talents would translate to the MCU.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
There's a rumor from a week ago that Affleck now wants to remain as Batman in the DCEU. https://screenrant.com/ben-affleck-batman-dceu-rumors-future/

Mysterio is really campy-looking, but if you look past the costume there is a lot of cinematic appeal to have him as a villain. His "power" is that he is a stuntman and special effects coordinator - that would be amazing to see how those talents would translate to the MCU.

Hmmm. I missed that Batman rumor. Interesting.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
  • Infinity War
  • The Avengers
  • Doctor Strange
  • Iron Man
  • Black Panther
  • Ant-Man
  • Iron Man 3
  • Iron Man 2
  • Thor
  • The Incredible Hulk

That is my ranking. I would say it is pretty close to correct. I am surprised Dark World is so high. A couple others could probably move too.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Ok. Here it is. I think I mostly agree with it. The ones at the bottom are definitely the ones I most consider to be stinkers. The top three it got right for sure.

1. Thor: Ragnarok
  2. Infinity War
  3. Doctor Strange
  4. Captain America: The First Avenger
  5. The Avengers
  6. Guardians of the Galaxy
  7. Iron Man
  8. Black Panther
  9. Iron Man 3
  10. Spider-Man: Homecoming
  11. Avengers: Age of Ultron
  12. Captain America: The Winter Soldier