For those who have seen it.. Venom: Thumbs up or Thumbs Down

• Thumbs Up

Votes: 86 62.3%
  • Thumbs Down

Votes: 52 37.7%

• Total voters

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
The Disney+ shows are the majority of the stuff we're getting now. We've had 7 shows (soon to be 8) and 6 movies so far. IMO every single one of them has diminished the Marvel brand. I don't think they know how to make a fully functional TV show.

Honestly I wasn't considering No Way Home, kind of a standalone Spider-Man movie so it probably still counts. Great movie theater experience but it's kind of interesting that I haven't even considered watching it again. Kind of in and out of my brain. We've had 29 MCU films I wouldn't put a single phase 4 movie in the top half of movies, including No Way Home. Let me also say, I think I actually enjoyed Black Widow pretty well. I'm sure I'll like Thor L&T, I'm in the bag for Taika. I liked the first hour or so of Shang Chi a lot. These movies don't suck, but they are mostly forgettable for me and one's I'll never watch again.
If you don't personally have many Phase 4 films in your top 20, that's fine. I'm just saying that most people would. And I've enjoyed all of them quite a bit, but I know not many people would put Black Widow or Eternals in their top 20.

I do agree with your point about Marvel not really knowing how to make a TV show. It's a very different format and they haven't quite figured it out, especially in terms of pacing. I do disagree that all of them have hurt the brand, though. Loki, in particular, was outstanding, IMO. WandaVision was mostly great but was wobbly on the landing. Hawkeye was a lot of fun.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
If you don't personally have many Phase 4 films in your top 20, that's fine. I'm just saying that most people would. And I've enjoyed all of them quite a bit, but I know not many people would put Black Widow or Eternals in their top 20.

I do agree with your point about Marvel not really knowing how to make a TV show. It's a very different format and they haven't quite figured it out, especially in terms of pacing. I do disagree that all of them have hurt the brand, though. Loki, in particular, was outstanding, IMO. WandaVision was mostly great but was wobbly on the landing. Hawkeye was a lot of fun.
The Eternals would of been a much better fit for a series. With proper editing, I think it would of been a home run.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
My current theory for D23 is that its their chance to go Mutant crazy, including Deadpool. My guess is they fill in some of those calendar gaps with differing Mutant-related movies and TV shows. I'm also am guessing they announce the casting for Fantastic 4, as well as a few possible mutants. Taron Egarton as Wolverine anyone???
One of the producers was talking up Chris Evans for Wolverine.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006

I think Black Widow, if it was released in actual timeline order, could have been good.

I will say, I think previous phases have done a good job of releasing movies that even if they were not good, they still felt like they mattered to pushing the story forward. We still aren't sure where the story is going right now. That's hurting things too.

Let me actually do a thought experiment then. Let me put the Marvel projects in tiers for me personally at least:

Tier 1: The bangers
Iron Man (Phase 1)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Phase 1)
The Avengers (Phase 1)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Phase 2)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Phase 2)
Captain America: Civil War (Phase 3)
Doctor Strange (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Phase 3)
Thor: Ragnarok (Phase 3)
Black Panther (Phase 3)
Avengers: Infinity War (Phase 3)
Avengers: Endgame (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (Phase 4)

Tier 2: Good stuff, but doesn't all hold together
Thor (Phase 1)
Iron Man 3 (Phase 2)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (Phase 2)
Ant Man (Phase 2)
GoTG Volume 2 (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Phase 3)
Shang Chi (Phase 4)

Tier 3: It's fine
Iron Man 2 (Phase 1)
Ant Man and the Wasp (Phase 3)
Captain Marvel (Phase 3)
Black Widow (Phase 4)
Loki (Phase 4)
Dr. Strange and the MoM (Phase 4)
Ms. Marvel (Phase 4)

Tier 4: You'd have to pay me to watch it again
The Incredible Hulk (Phase 1)
Thor: The Dark World (Phase 2)
WandaVision (Phase 4)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Phase 4)
Eternals (Phase 4)
Hawkeye (Phase 4)
Moon Knight (Phase 4)

This was just putting them on a list and sorting them. I've got two phase 4 projects in my top 20. I've got nine Phase 4 offerings in my bottom 14. I mean you can quibble here or there about where I have things but I think it's pretty clear here.

Reactions: Triggermv

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
My point is that you're a moron if you honestly think there's any chance the MCU won't be around in a couple years.

Cool.

If Marvel continues this trend of "assembly line content" type shows, yes, they will drop significantly and there will be massive changes to these announced "phases." We already saw them drastically change Phase 4.

Remember this announcement?

1658840437168.png

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think almost everyone thought that was an aggressive schedule when it was released, but so far none of those have been outright cancelled. Delays happen. And I'm pretty sure when BP2 was announced, Chadwick Boseman was still alive.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think almost everyone thought that was an aggressive schedule when it was released, but so far none of those have been outright cancelled. Delays happen. And I'm pretty sure when BP2 was announced, Chadwick Boseman was still alive.

Speaking of Chadwick Boseman. I can't see any other franchise just retiring a character after an actors sudden passing. Would they retire Superman or Batman if the actor playing those characters passes away? It just seems odd strategy for the future of the Black Panther story line.

I'm sure the character will be back at some point, this whole thing is going to have to be rebooted. Likely after Secret Wars.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019

So Boseman. Wife and I are going to try our hardest to avoid spoilers to who is going to be the new Black Panther, but it feels inevitable that it’s going to be everywhere. Just like Spider-Man and everyone knowing the previous 2 actors were in the movie.

Spoiler junk feels like it’ll be all over trailers, GMA, and every other Disney thing

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I get that people wanted T'Challa to be recast... but Boseman is a pretty singular performer. I would not want to be the guy replacing him. The person from the cast they already have replacing him will be incredibly critiqued. It's just a really tough situation.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
So Boseman. Wife and I are going to try our hardest to avoid spoilers to who is going to be the new Black Panther, but it feels inevitable that it’s going to be everywhere. Just like Spider-Man and everyone knowing the previous 2 actors were in the movie.

Spoiler junk feels like it’ll be all over trailers, GMA, and every other Disney thing
The obvious one is going to be his sister as she has been the Black Panther in the comics. The less obvious one seems to be hinted at in the trailer, but I'm curious as to how they would make that one happen.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I think Black Widow, if it was released in actual timeline order, could have been good.

I will say, I think previous phases have done a good job of releasing movies that even if they were not good, they still felt like they mattered to pushing the story forward. We still aren't sure where the story is going right now. That's hurting things too.

Let me actually do a thought experiment then. Let me put the Marvel projects in tiers for me personally at least:

Tier 1: The bangers
Iron Man (Phase 1)
Captain America: The First Avenger (Phase 1)
The Avengers (Phase 1)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (Phase 2)
Guardians of the Galaxy (Phase 2)
Captain America: Civil War (Phase 3)
Doctor Strange (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (Phase 3)
Thor: Ragnarok (Phase 3)
Black Panther (Phase 3)
Avengers: Infinity War (Phase 3)
Avengers: Endgame (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: No Way Home (Phase 4)

Tier 2: Good stuff, but doesn't all hold together
Thor (Phase 1)
Iron Man 3 (Phase 2)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (Phase 2)
Ant Man (Phase 2)
GoTG Volume 2 (Phase 3)
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Phase 3)
Shang Chi (Phase 4)

Tier 3: It's fine
Iron Man 2 (Phase 1)
Ant Man and the Wasp (Phase 3)
Captain Marvel (Phase 3)
Black Widow (Phase 4)
Loki (Phase 4)
Dr. Strange and the MoM (Phase 4)
Ms. Marvel (Phase 4)

Tier 4: You'd have to pay me to watch it again
The Incredible Hulk (Phase 1)
Thor: The Dark World (Phase 2)
WandaVision (Phase 4)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Phase 4)
Eternals (Phase 4)
Hawkeye (Phase 4)
Moon Knight (Phase 4)

This was just putting them on a list and sorting them. I've got two phase 4 projects in my top 20. I've got nine Phase 4 offerings in my bottom 14. I mean you can quibble here or there about where I have things but I think it's pretty clear here.

Not a terrible list. I could squibble a bit about a few of them by shifting them a tier here and there, but not terrible. The only egregious mistake in my opinion if your tragic underrating of WandaVision. You know I'm a big WandaVision fan.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneEggie

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I get that people wanted T'Challa to be recast... but Boseman is a pretty singular performer. I would not want to be the guy replacing him. The person from the cast they already have replacing him will be incredibly critiqued. It's just a really tough situation.

I agree it is a tough situation, but I still think T'Challa has more story to be told, so I really wish they would have recast.

• Agree
Reactions: Gorm

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I agree it is a tough situation, but I still think T'Challa has more story to be told, so I really wish they would have recast.
Looks to me like they're doing it in a comic booky type way, at least I took that from the trailer.

I give them a good shot at pulling it off.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Not a terrible list. I could squibble a bit about a few of them by shifting them a tier here and there, but not terrible. The only egregious mistake in my opinion if your tragic underrating of WandaVision. You know I'm a big WandaVision fan.

I know I'm on an island with WV. At best it's Tier 3 for me. I know I'm probably on an island with movies like Iron Man 3 which I have a real affinity for even though I understand it's not great. I literally ended up with 20 in the top two groups randomly.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I know I'm on an island with WV. At best it's Tier 3 for me. I know I'm probably on an island with movies like Iron Man 3 which I have a real affinity for even though I understand it's not great. I literally ended up with 20 in the top two groups randomly.
I didn’t think Wandavision was anything special. I have no desire to watch it again.

• Agree
Reactions: drmwevr08

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Looks to me like they're doing it in a comic booky type way, at least I took that from the trailer.

I give them a good shot at pulling it off.

Even though I'm a big advocate that they should have recast T'Challa and I have not been looking forward at all to Wakanda Forever, I will admit I thought that trailer was REALLY good. However, even though it was an amazing trailer, I'm still not convinced they went the best route yet. Only time will tell when we actually see the movie.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Idk why people liked the first Captain movie? I thought it was boring. The Winter Soldier is great though.

I'm a big fan of Captain America: The First Avenger, and find it to be one of the most underrated MCU movies out there. The trouble there is its a bit of a story of two halves. I find the first half of the movie to still be the best true origin story we've seen yet in the MCU. I LOVE the first half of that movie. However, I'd call the second half of the movie to be fairly mediocre. Regardless, the net effect is still a pretty good movie overall for me.