Lazard with Jax Makes Me Sad

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
The Jacksonville game is going to be shown at 4am ET / 3am CT Friday morning on the NFL network. I'm setting the DVR in case AL has a big game.
3 catches for 41 yards. I hope he gets at least one shot to make a play on the red zone.

Campos was at LG a minute ago and now at LT. He has looked good out there. Lanning played a bit in the 2nd qtr but haven't seen him in qtr 3.

Reactions: I-stateTheTruth

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The reality is he may have to bulk up and move inside. Don’t be surprised if he ends up on somebody’s practice squad and that’s what they want him to do. Not the end of the world.

Not sure what it is now, but just looked it up and saw it was something like $7,200/week in 2016 for practice squad.

I'm not a math guru but I think that for a full season is over $100,000. Not a bad start out of college.

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Not sure what it is now, but just looked it up and saw it was something like $7,200/week in 2016 for practice squad.

I'm not a math guru but I think that for a full season is over $100,000. Not a bad start out of college.
Yeah you can make a nice living by being on a practice squad

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I think some of you. Who are not as knowledgeable as NFL coaches are over valuating Alan because we are fans. Coaches are not sitting around thinking about how he came from Iowa State.
I don’t really see many people over valuing Lazard. Besides clonedude’s mind numbing argument that him and Dez are anywhere close to equal

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think some of you. Who are not as knowledgeable as NFL coaches are over valuating Alan because we are fans. Coaches are not sitting around thinking about how he came from Iowa State.
Not really this is a consistent thing with our players. They don’t really seem to get a fair shot from their professional league (particularly the NBA) and a subset of fans discount their talent to cope. Whenever Lazard has gotten a public opportunity he has performed well. You couldn’t even bother to spell his name right. Professional leagues don’t value different skill sets like they should. If you aren’t the prototypical player for a position you struggle to make it. That’s on the NFL or NBA failing to adapt.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Not really this is a consistent thing with our players. They don’t really seem to get a fair shot from their professional league (particularly the NBA) and a subset of fans discount their talent to cope. Whenever Lazard has gotten a public opportunity he has performed well. You couldn’t even bother to spell his name right. Professional leagues don’t value different skill sets like they should. If you aren’t the prototypical player for a position you struggle to make it. That’s on the NFL or NBA failing to adapt.

You can't really be serious with this are you? You really think pro coaches are sitting around trying to make their teams worse because they just don't want Cyclones? So they will take every other team except Cyclone players. You also said Pro teams don't value skill sets they should? Umm what? They value a skill set to win a super bowl or NBA title. That is the only skill set they need.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
That's ridiculous. They don't care what school he came from. It's about what you can do on the field. Public opportunities are a tiny part of the evaluation process. If AL had performed well enough to make the team, he would have. It's as simple as that.

uthaman

Oct 18, 2006
Des Moines

I am guessing you are from Urbandale, so you have multiple reasons to be in Lazard's corner. But, the simple facts of both the NFL and NBA are that they could care less where a person comes from they only care if that person can help them win. I think the Iowa State issue with the NBA is purely a height thing. Our guys tend to be undersized relative to the NBA average for a position. It might seem silly, but that matters.

Lazard performing well in the 4th preseason game is a red herring. He did so against guys who by the end of the day Saturday won't be on NFL rosters.

Hopefully Lazard continues to work hard. Maybe go to Canada and reinvent himself as a TE. He does have talent, just maybe not the ability to get separation from starting NFL corners that is needed at WR.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
You can't really be serious with this are you? You really think pro coaches are sitting around trying to make their teams worse because they just don't want Cyclones? So they will take every other team except Cyclone players. You also said Pro teams don't value skill sets they should? Umm what? They value a skill set to win a super bowl or NBA title. That is the only skill set they need.
That's ridiculous. They don't care what school he came from. It's about what you can do on the field. Public opportunities are a tiny part of the evaluation process. If AL had performed well enough to make the team, he would have. It's as simple as that.

Again I don’t get what the block is in seeing the poor choices many pro teams make. There isn’t a conspiracy against Iowa State players but there is a unconscious block against them. NFL and NBA teams aren’t trying to not be as good but they are really bad about tying to just do the same thing as all the other teams. Look at teams like the Spurs or Eagles last year. They did something different to launch back to the top of their leagues. Then you have teams like the Browns who just try and draft a new franchise quarterback every year. Look at the coaches that are recycled through the league. They just aren’t innovative or open to different styles like they should be.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Iowa State fans like to bash their own when it comes to pro potential. It’s a jerky thing but plenty of our fans do it. They did it with Georges, Monte, and Allen.

I guarantee you that if another team had a guy with Allen’s stats and measurables and wasn’t drafted, most of the fans bashing him would be baffled as to why he wasn’t drafted.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Iowa State fans like to bash their own when it comes to pro potential. It’s a jerky thing but plenty of our fans do it. They did it with Georges, Monte, and Allen.

I guarantee you that if another team had a guy with Allen’s stats and measurables and wasn’t drafted, most of the fans bashing him would be baffled as to why he wasn’t drafted.

• Winner
Reactions: Urbandale2013

xboxfever

Nov 4, 2008
This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. ISU is probably in the top 15 for players currently in the NBA. They currently have what, 5 players on a roster right now? NBA teams can only carry 13 players at a time and there’s only 30 teams. That’s only 390 active players in the NBA. There 300+ D-1 basketball schools, multiple players from Juco, overseas, and out of high school playing in the NBA. There’s a limited amount of spots in the NBA every year. ISU gets more than there fair shake at making an NBA roster. Not once watching Naz Long, Deonte Burton, or Abdel Nader in college did I think they would even sniff the NBA. Credit to them for working there tails off and making a roster. There’s some stupid stuff people post on here, but thinking there is a conspiracy against ISU is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. If anything when it comes to the NBA, is they’re given an extra look.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
This is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. ISU is probably in the top 15 for players currently in the NBA. They currently have what, 5 players on a roster right now? NBA teams can only carry 13 players at a time and there’s only 30 teams. That’s only 390 active players in the NBA. There 300+ D-1 basketball schools, multiple players from Juco, overseas, and out of high school playing in the NBA. There’s a limited amount of spots in the NBA every year. ISU gets more than there fair shake at making an NBA roster. Not once watching Naz Long, Deonte Burton, or Abdel Nader in college did I think they would even sniff the NBA. Credit to them for working there tails off and making a roster. There’s some stupid stuff people post on here, but thinking there is a conspiracy against ISU is one of the dumbest things I’ve read. If anything when it comes to the NBA, is they’re given an extra look.

MATH :confused::confused:

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Lazard is going to struggle because he is not very fast in WR terms. I could see him make a team as a flex type TE guy. Faster than a TE, but can block better than a WR. NFL teams don't usually make room for nich players, but if he can show great consistency in catching the ball in traffic, then he might stick. Also doesn't help to be a free agent. If it is close teams tend to hold on the their draft choices over free agents simply to validate their picks.

• Agree
Reactions: Urbandale2013

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I don’t really see many people over valuing Lazard. Besides clonedude’s mind numbing argument that him and Dez are anywhere close to equal

I'm not over valuing Lazard. I don't think he should be on an NFL roster.

All I'm saying is, I would NEVER want Dez on my roster if I were an NFL GM, and so if it came down to a choice for me between Dez and Lazard, I'd take Lazard (especially for the money).

Lazard had trouble getting separation from DB's in college, so he's really going to struggle to ever get separation in the NFL. That's just a fact. But Dez struggles to get separation now too.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Honestly you are the one that is dumb. Notice how those guys made those rosters. The only one really given an immediate chance was Nader. Niang was on a roster for a ear but not given a chance. They pretty much all have made it after they beat it into GMs heads that they deserved it. I think reality for Lazard is going to be similar.

Besides we should have a lot of NBA players right now. We just had a 5 year run as one of the top 15 teams.

Lazard is going to struggle because he is not very fast in WR terms. I could see him make a team as a flex type TE guy. Faster than a TE, but can block better than a WR. NFL teams don't usually make room for nich players, but if he can show great consistency in catching the ball in traffic, then he might stick. Also doesn't help to be a free agent. If it is close teams tend to hold on the their draft choices over free agents simply to validate their picks.

This is what I’m talking about. The teams don’t understand how to use these players.