Lanning

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Agree, and maybe they each have their own strengths so maybe using both of them could take some of the pressure off each. Worked pretty good for Texas.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
You keep talking about this church league as if he hasn't been at practice while at ISU.

I have a question for you.

How many "real nice passes" cancels out a total meltdown in crunchtime? I am curious.

I have no dog in the fight. All i want is the best guy to play. If that is Park... so be it. Better to get it over now than lose the next four games with him getting no experience other than his "church league". Right? If the best guy is Lanning? Whelp... we better start recruiting. I'll live either way. No biggie.

Watch the CFTV-Live with Jeff Woody from today and he breaks down each of the Lanning INTs. You may have a new opinion rather than "total meltdown".. He isn't the one that had the meltdown. I believe the meltdown is happening on this thread.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
Watch the CFTV-Live with Jeff Woody from today and he breaks down each of the Lanning INTs. You may have a new opinion rather than "total meltdown".. He isn't the one that had the meltdown. I believe the meltdown is happening on this thread.

I watched it.

One thing that i was really wanting to see, based on what Woody said, was Lanning's hand signal to any receiver letting them know they were hot on the safety play. I couldn't watch the game due to technical difficulties from Cy.tv. Maybe Lanning did that.

I'll admit, that "total meltdown" was too strong. But, like I said... if Lanning is the best we have... fine. If Park isn't as good, fine. I really don't care.

I just want the coaches to be decisive and not let us lose games so as to not hurt feelings. This season is going to be what it is.

Reactions: MayorsCabinet

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I don't think Lanning is on a short leash, he's just keeping the seat warm until Park is in game shape and has the offense down. He will get some snaps here and there to ease into it, get used to the speed, and get his confidence up.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
I watched it.

One thing that i was really wanting to see, based on what Woody said, was Lanning's hand signal to any receiver letting them know they were hot on the safety play. I couldn't watch the game due to technical difficulties from Cy.tv. Maybe Lanning did that.

I'll admit, that "total meltdown" was too strong. But, like I said... if Lanning is the best we have... fine. If Park isn't as good, fine. I really don't care.

I just want the coaches to be decisive and not let us lose games so as to not hurt feelings. This season is going to be what it is.

I have confidence in Campbell that if Park were better than Lanning, he would be the starter. If they're going to replace Lanning, replace him. I don't like "special packages" thing for the backup QB.

Bryce7

May 4, 2016
(Only at Iowa State) would fans push to give a QB more time (to develop) after a two interception, fumbled snap, safety, balls underthrown - game. We are pretty much the only Big 12 team that has consistently had below average QB play (and it shows in our win - loss record). Under thrown balls were a problem last year, and again in this game. Did anyone pay attention to J. Lanning's feet placement ? Once again, they were really not good (particularly in the fourth quarter).
He played like a ku qb. He needs to run more.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Leaving one QB in gives you a much better chance to pick up a rhythm than switching QBs every game. Quarterbacks aren't the same. You can't expect Park to have the same tendencies as Lanning and you can't expect them to do everything with the same timing. So switching QBs means you have timing issues and tendency issues. The WRs can't develop those timing routes with their QB if it's different every week.

And I know you're gonna say, "Well Joel's tendency is to throw it to the other team ha. ha. ha. I'm hilarious" but in all seriousness, going with 1 QB makes it easier on the rest of the team. So if you're going to bench Lanning for Park, bench Lanning. Don't keep bringing him into the game.

"If you have 2 quarterbacks, you have no quarterbacks"

TEXAS

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013

Texas did exactly what I explained in the first part of that post. Swoopes came in strictly to run the ball. As I said, I'm fine if one QB is a runner and the other is a passer. But when both quarterbacks do virtually the same things with the same skill it doesn't work.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Texas did exactly what I explained in the first part of that post. Swoopes came in strictly to run the ball. As I said, I'm fine if one QB is a runner and the other is a passer. But when both quarterbacks do virtually the same things with the same skill it doesn't work.

Wait... You think Park and Lanning have the same skill? Lmfao what!?

Lanning is a runner. Park is a passer.

You give Park packages to help get him ready. Clearly if Park were the best option, and ready to start he would be starting.. That's common sense. He hasn't played football in three years, he wasn't here in the spring, or course he's not ready to start.

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
All I know is that if we somehow, someway, manage 5 wins and the UNI loss is what keeps us from a bowl game I'm going to be super pissed.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013

You give Park packages to help get him ready. Clearly if Park were the best option, and ready to start he would be starting.. That's common sense. He hasn't played football in three years, he wasn't here in the spring, or course he's not ready to start.

Oh my fault. I guess I haven't seen enough game film from Park to show me that he's sooooo much better at passing than Lanning. Since yanno, he hasn't thrown a football in an actual game since high school. Ive seen Park throw in a scrimmage and I've seen him throw at practice and I haven't seen anything that Lanning hasn't done. But you're right. "Lanning is a runner and Park is a passer" since we've seen a ton to prove that.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
Didn't read that sorry. I can say Toledo has used two QB's w same skill sets, so I think there is history that says we may see it. Especially if one doesn't pull away from the other. If a clear cut winner is found, they will get the nod. Otherwise, I believe it would be a negative [ESP IN YR ONE] in the first year to stay w one QB unless they are the obvious #1 at the position.

MayorsCabinet

Dec 5, 2013
Didn't read that sorry. I can say Toledo has used two QB's w same skill sets, so I think there is history that says we may see it. Especially if one doesn't pull away from the other. If a clear cut winner is found, they will get the nod. Otherwise, I believe it would be a negative [ESP IN YR ONE] in the first year to stay w one QB unless they are the obvious #1 at the position.

I don't doubt that we'll see it. I've been an Iowa State fan long enough to understand that we can't have nice things so I'm sure we will see Park and I'm sure it will end up being a full blown QB competition by the end of the year unless one of the two completely blows the other one out of the water.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas

I saw Park in the scrimmage..granted that was a month ago and it was one scrimmage but Lanning is ahead. Park made some great throws that I saw but he had issues too mainly pocket presence. But Park really hasn't played much at all college football. Park needs reps. But the future QB of this program is Zeb. Zeb was 2nd string prior to his injury.

Cyclone07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 3, 2013
Ames, IA
I'd say the staff gives joel till half of iowa game to get in "rhythm " and if he hasnt bring in jacob.

Switching QBs isn't the answer. Stick with a guy, and let him learn the offense. That guy right now is Lanning. We are complaining about the offense and execution, but we want to put in a guy who got here in July and has only went through Fall camp? Doesn't seem like the answer to me.

• Agree
Reactions: MayorsCabinet