Kevin Warren moves on from B1G

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
why did he leave? more money? More stability? not sold on the future of college athletics?

He gets to run a stable NFL franchise. It would be an awesome job. The Bears family leaves their "president" alone to get things done...they don't meddle like some owners. Plus a young QB (jury is still out on that one though), most likely building a new stadium...it would be a fun experience to be in charge of all things Chicago Bears over the next few years!

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Warren was long thought of as a candidate to replace Roger Goodell. THe the COVID decisions seemed to derail his candidacy.

He seems to be a great dealmaker and financer. I'm sure ownership will take notes on how he handles the new Chicago stadium project. He killed it with the Vikings stadium and B1G TV negotiations.

At the end of the day, the NFL is a business with owners who want to make more money.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Building out the new Chicago stadium and surrounding area sounds wayyyy more fun than dealing with a bunch of Big 10 presidents and ADs and the circus of college football

Reactions: NWICY and 2speedy1

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Vikings fan opinion:

New Stadium, 2nd year GM, 1st year CEO, and TONS of cap space... The Bears need to trade Fields and re-start on the cheap rookie timeline. Lot's of franchises would be interested in Fields that are not in the running for Young, Stroud, or Levis.

Get the draft capital from Fields, Prioritize a young Tier 1 WR in FA to help your rookie QB, surround the offense with playmakers, and THRIVE the next decade plus in a division with a 40 year old Rogers, Primetime Kirk, and the dumpster fire that is Detroit (They will struggle when the OC is hired away for a head job).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
What is Fields worth? I'd be super annoyed if my team even used a 2nd round pick on him.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
What is Fields worth? I'd be super annoyed if my team even used a 2nd round pick on him.
Who are you a fan of?

His rookie scale contract is worth A LOT. Chicago has NO weapons to throw to. I'd rather have Fields' upside and contract on my Vikings than have to live with Kirk's contract and age.

He'd be an upgrade or equivalent to 1/2 the league. https://qbrankings.theringer.com/

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I'm a fan of the Chiefs but Fields IMO is a low rent Alex Smith.

You'd rather have him than Cousins? Well no kidding, the better question is who would you take Cousins over.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I highly doubt ND was ever in the fold.

I think that is exactly why they DIDN'T go to 20. ND was the key and they couldn't be got. Grabbing USCLA made sense on its own, and added leverage to get ND (though not enough in the end) .

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
Who are you a fan of?

His rookie scale contract is worth A LOT. Chicago has NO weapons to throw to. I'd rather have Fields' upside and contract on my Vikings than have to live with Kirk's contract and age.

He'd be an upgrade or equivalent to 1/2 the league. https://qbrankings.theringer.com/
Several QBs have crap to throw to, but they still contribute in the passing game way more than Fields. Fields' value is almost all legs at this point. Fields ranks almost dead last on an EPA basis in the passing game. Only something called a Baker Mayfield has been worse out of all qualified QBs.

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Possibly, minus the Jay-Z pedigree. Will be interesting to see if presidents lean towards media bigwigs, established commish/AD, or established B1G conference exec.

I don't seeing it being Smith, I don't know squat about the ACC guy. I mean who cares about the ACC?

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I don't seeing it being Smith, I don't know squat about the ACC guy. I mean who cares about the ACC?
ACC dude Phillips was the frontrunner last time until they switched to KW, has deep connections with B1G and midwest, Chicago native, was Northwestern AD.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
  • Creative
  • Dumb
Reactions: SCNCY and CyCrazy