NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
They were talking about this on the NFL radio channel the other day, they said the key is to get them to take extensions that allow for high signing bonuses and less salary.
Watkins, they said, give him a contract extension, he is still young, with most of his salary upfront as a bonus. Little counts against the cap, do the same with Hutchings. Talk to Jones about a contact extension, and if he will do it, same deal, if not, use the franchise tag on him this year, and look for replacements in the draft for the 2021 season.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
We have a lot of unrestricted free agents. Chris Jones being the biggest. I wonder who we let walk?
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kansas-city-chiefs/

Chris Jones is the only must sign on that list. I love a bunch of those other names, but the Chiefs showed everyone that you can cut a player like Kareem Hunt and still win the Super Bowl.

You can't lose your elite level players because you can't just find those types of guys. However, there are really good players available all the time and the Chiefs have a great system for "good" players.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Chris Jones is the only must sign on that list. I love a bunch of those other names, but the Chiefs showed everyone that you can cut a player like Kareem Hunt and still win the Super Bowl.

You can't lose your elite level players because you can't just find those types of guys. However, there are really good players available all the time and the Chiefs have a great system for "good" players.

Chiefs are in a tight spot cap wise unless they can get some team friendly deals or restructures from a few guys. I think you have to extend Mahomes now, he has earned it and its the right thing to do and I have hope he will work with the team to maybe have some of the money guaranteed more on the back end of the contract so they can sign some players this year and next while they are in the prime of their contention window with this current roster.

There may be a few guys on that list they can get back on a cheaper deal. To me the biggest saving could come by doing something with Watkins, either re-doing his deal or just cutting bait with him. I think he is replaceable and there surely are some veteran WR out there willing to take less to play with Mahomes. I could see them picking up Damien Williams option too and Anthony Sherman has been on the team 7 years and is a leader on that team I could see him coming back on a cheap 1 or 2 year deal too. The biggest need is going to be at CB if you let Fuller, Claiborne, and Breeland all walk you have to go out and get some guys in the draft or free agency regardless as that position already was one in need of improvement.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Full 2020 Schedule:

EXc-gf6WAAAUt4z

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I think it is 3-4 years in a row that the chiefs a heavy home schedule in Dec/Jan. Not really doing the fans any favors of nice weather home games.

I've been at several of them and some of them have been absolutely brutal too.