NFL: Kansas City Chiefs Thread

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
There is lots of talk about protocols and unbiased medical staff, but I guarantee Mahomes will starting next week. Doctors be damned.
Maybe. I sure want him to play. I also want him to be healthy. There is also a big long-term investment in him. We'll see I guess.

Just read an injury report article on him. Couple of good things: He ran off the field after injury, and was making fun GIF texts to Henne after game. Coach Reid also said that he got "choked-out" (vs. a concussion).

He still was put on the concussion protocol so he has to pass all those tests in order to play. I sort of think he wasn't concussed and will be able to pass the tests w/ flying colors.

• Winner
Reactions: 2020cy

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In his post game interview Reid stated that Mahomes was hit in the back of the head, so that rules out his head hitting the field, and he passed all the tests they had given him.

Looks like he will be fine, I guess we will find out more tomorrow or Tuesday.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
In his post game interview Reid stated that Mahomes was hit in the back of the head, so that rules out his head hitting the field, and he passed all the tests they had given him.

Looks like he will be fine, I guess we will find out more tomorrow or Tuesday.

Well, he is from Texas Tech and the Cyclones had that game once where a reciever was post-awarded a touchdown DURING HALFTIME because the heal of his foot was inbounds BEFORE his toe touched out of bounds (I still can't believe this. Only ISU would get that treatment. Good on JP too for fighting it)
Sooooooooo......Andy Reid could argue that the hit/ground collision whatever hit Mahomes SHOULDER first BEFORE it hit his head, so concussion protocols do not apply.
I bet he plays.

Reactions: algonacy

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
I added a link to the play, there is no grass on his helmet when he comes up. Its difficult to tell, but his head was not driven into the ground at all.

Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes knocked out of playoff game after scary hit | Fox News

I don't think his helmet ever hit the ground. When he came down the ball and carrying hand were precariously between his helmet and the ground. In watching the slo-mos his facemask comes down (hard) on the ball, with his head bounces back up before it ever hit the ground.

With that said, a concussion could have easily resulted from the above scenario and the ensuing stumble and blank stares make it likely a concussion was suffered. Only other plausible explanation is that the arm (sliding off) of the tackling defender coupled with his head position caused a brief occlusion of the carotid, giving him a brief episode of lightheadedness. We should hear more in the coming days.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Maybe. I sure want him to play. I also want him to be healthy. There is also a big long-term investment in him. We'll see I guess.

Just read an injury report article on him. Couple of good things: He ran off the field after injury, and was making fun GIF texts to Henne after game. Coach Reid also said that he got "choked-out" (vs. a concussion).

He still was put on the concussion protocol so he has to pass all those tests in order to play. I sort of think he wasn't concussed and will be able to pass the tests w/ flying colors.
This is what I was wondering about the injury. It appeared neck related to me because I didn't see him hit his head but I the guy chocked him and then really got his neck folded in a really uncomfortable position. Wonder if it cut off air ways for a moment. That is why he got faint.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Darrel Williams looked great yesterday too. If CEH can't go, Williams will do alright too.
Yeah he looked pretty good. If Bills play the KC offense the same way, hope KC has the patience it did last time to just keep running and hitting the underneath routes.

Reactions: t-noah

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I'm guessing Mahomes will have a say in playing or not, He seems like a gamer to me I'm guessing he's a go next wkend.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
I'm guessing Mahomes will have a say in playing or not, He seems like a gamer to me I'm guessing he's a go next wkend.
I don’t think he has any say at all. It’s not like his toe injury where you can try and play through pain.

He’s going to have to pass a bunch of tests to even have a chance. They said he wanted to go back in the 4th quarterback but they obviously (for correct reasons) didn’t allow that.

• Agree
Reactions: t-noah

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
They're saying he was more choked out than severe brain trauma. Also, there is no way the NFL will allow the face of the league to miss the playoffs if they have say. I know the doctors are independent but come on...

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
He did not get the wind knocked out of him and it’s not like a choke hold was put on him, so I’m not seeing how he could have been deprived of O2. His whole body was drove into him as his head made contact with the ground which is a high probability concussion hit.

What a privilege for CF to have a world renowned neurologist BCClone who can make diagnosis' from his living room. I'm not sure why the NFL has independent neurologists at the games when they could just call you sitting in your living room to make the diagnosis.

CloneinWDSM

Aug 9, 2013
6 days out but looks like rain forecasted Sunday for now.

Would make things interesting and potentially favor KC?

Bills barely ran the ball against Baltimore and KC crushed Buffalo on the ground in the first matchup.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Darrel Williams looked great yesterday too. If CEH can't go, Williams will do alright too.
Williams definitely stepped up. Glad Chiefs have him. I also think they might break out Darwin Thompson for a few plays to take the pressure off Williams.

L. Bell has been a disappointment so far, likely due to his bad knees (?) in part.

• Agree
Reactions: Halincandenza

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I added a link to the play, there is no grass on his helmet when he comes up. Its difficult to tell, but his head was not driven into the ground at all.

Chiefs' Patrick Mahomes knocked out of playoff game after scary hit | Fox News
I don't think his helmet ever hit the ground. When he came down the ball and carrying hand were precariously between his helmet and the ground. In watching the slo-mos his facemask comes down (hard) on the ball, with his head bounces back up before it ever hit the ground.

With that said, a concussion could have easily resulted from the above scenario and the ensuing stumble and blank stares make it likely a concussion was suffered. Only other plausible explanation is that the arm (sliding off) of the tackling defender coupled with his head position caused a brief occlusion of the carotid, giving him a brief episode of lightheadedness. We should hear more in the coming days.
This is a clip from the opposite angle than what I saw last night. I think this one gives the best view. It doesn't look like he was choked as much here, vs. the opposite view, but still choked for sure. Moreso, it does look like he could have gotten a concussion from his facemask hitting the ball. Don't see that very often if at all. It was an awkward tackle.

I think if he passes all the tests this week they will let him play. Reason being, that film clip doesn't say 'definitive concussion' like we might usually see?

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
This is a clip from the opposite angle than what I saw last night. I think this one gives the best view. It doesn't look like he was choked as much here, vs. the opposite view, but still choked for sure. Moreso, it does look like he could have gotten a concussion from his facemask hitting the ball. Don't see that very often if at all. It was an awkward tackle.

I think if he passes all the tests this week they will let him play. Reason being, that film clip doesn't say 'definitive concussion' like we might usually see?

They are now officially calling it a pinched nerve. That would coincide what I heard last night from a friend who has an associate who is big bud's with Patrick's dad. Last night the dad was saying "it's no big deal", but it doesn't matter if he can't or didn't pass the league's mandated tests.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
They are now officially calling it a pinched nerve. That would coincide what I heard last night from a friend who has an associate who is big bud's with Patrick's dad. Last night the dad was saying "it's no big deal", but it doesn't matter if he can't or didn't pass the league's mandated tests.
Thank you, yes. But he is still going to have to pass all the tests this week, correct? He sounds like he will be able to, but I think that is wishful thinking.

Cautiously opptimistic, I'll go with that. Go Chiefs. All speculation from here on I suppose, until close to game time.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron