Kansas basketball tickets

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Just call me surly for posting random ****.

But anyway, a few years ago I bought overpriced Kansas tickets through Stubhub for the Iowa State game (unfortunately the year before we won there). Somehow, I must have paid above listed price to the Kansas athletic department because suddenly I had a "Kansas ticket representative" call me and tell me he was going to be my guide through the Kansas ticket process. It was fun to tell him that I didn't need a guide because I wasn't a Kansas fan.

But I still get emails from their athletic department. Today I got the following email saying that they are lowering season ticket prices. Times must be tough in Lawerence!

ADDITIONAL TIERS AND LOWER SEASON TICKET PRICES FOR KANSAS MEN'S BASKETBALL AT ALLEN FIELDHOUSE

The Kansas Athletics Department today announced that it is lowering prices on many season tickets for the first time since after the 2008-09 season. Feedback from fans as well as market research has shown that the price and seat location value from the past few seasons have not been aligned.

For the 2020-21 season, Allen Fieldhouse will expand from three to eight pricing tiers, including four tiers that are lower than any season ticket price from last season. This new structure will lower the cost of season tickets for almost 45 percent of Allen Fieldhouse season ticket holders from last year. Additionally, as a proactive measure for Kansas Jayhawk basketball fans that are and will continue to feel the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new season ticket price of only $500 has been introduced for the upcoming season.

“Our priority is to keep Allen Fieldhouse as the best homecourt advantage and we cannot do that without our fans,” said Director of Athletics Jeff Long. “We have heard the concerns of some fans that our prices have increased to a level some struggle to meet, and given the economic conditions created by COVID-19, we felt it was a good time to reduce some prices and create more options for our loyal fans. Simply put, we know many of our fans will be struggling when we emerge from this pandemic and we needed to create a more affordable experience or we could risk losing the incredible home court advantage that has made Allen Fieldhouse the best college basketball venue for decades.”

Allen Fieldhouse has long been one of the highest demanded places to watch a basketball game, which is evident by selling out 306 consecutive games dating back to the 2001-02 season. Kansas Basketball is something that draws generations together for one common purpose, cheering the Jayhawks onto victory, and that bond has never been needed more than now.

“Our fans are the best in the country and we have been fortunate to see Allen Fieldhouse sold-out for every game during our 17-seasons here,” said Head Coach Bill Self. “It is unfortunate to see how this pandemic has hit so many, so hard, but hopefully the addition of tiers and lower ticket prices will allow our fans to enjoy Kansas basketball together again soon. All of you have helped create the best home court advantage in college basketball. We look forward to seeing you in Allen Fieldhouse this winter.”

the new pricing structure, is the introduction of a $500 season ticket, which will cost purchasers $475 less than they paid for the lowest priced ticket last season.

“We felt it was important to create a dramatically reduced base line season ticket as an option for our renewing season ticket holders that are experiencing significant financial stress,” said Long. “Additionally, we think it will be an attractive price point for fans that want to become season ticket holders for the first time or are ready to become a holder again.”

The price and seat location values have been updated to reduce the price gap between most tiers. Last season the smallest gap in pricing was $300 dollars, now the difference between tiers two through eight is as little as $125.

Fans interested in buying season tickets or learning more about the new tier structure can visit www.kuathletics.com/mbbtiers for more details. On this webpage, fans can find answers to their questions as well as see a detailed map. Additionally, fans who want to support the Williams Education Fund to be eligible to purchase season tickets can do so with a donation for as low as $100. Williams Education Fund pledges and ticket orders are due by June 30 in order to participate in the online Select-A-Seat process July 13.

tzjung

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2007
Ankeny, IA
Their lowest price season ticket last year was almost $1K! Holy smokes!

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I wonder if you will start seeing this across the country to ensure people are buying the tickets? People will probably be tightening their belts this year but the ADs across the country are losing tons of money and they need to ensure tickets are bought and butts are in the seats.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Ku basketball brings in revenue comparable to most D1 football programs. I believe those ticket prices don't include a required donation to their Williams Fund.

Tickets: Basketball $15,101,909 Football $3,412,370

by comparison K-State
Tickets: Basketball $3 million Football $13 million

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It is a very bad sign for college sports when KU has a fire sale on season tickets!

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ku basketball brings in revenue comparable to most D1 football programs. I believe those ticket prices don't include a required donation to their Williams Fund.

by comparison K-State
How in the WORLD did KU football bring in 3.4 million in ticket revenue?!

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Maybe it has changed but believe they re-seat their entire arena EVERY year based on donation.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
[QUOTE="surly, post: 7144337, member:

by comparison K-State
[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me?!?! That means those 500 people who bought KU Football tickets spent $6800 each!!

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
How in the WORLD did KU football bring in 3.4 million in ticket revenue?!

$1,200,000 from Iowa State fans overrunning their stadium. Seriously! Look at their 2018 numbers compared to 2019. $1.2 million more in 2018.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Their lowest price season ticket last year was almost $1K! Holy smokes!
AND - it's on fricking BLEACHERS in the rafters.
Like JSB, we bought tickets for a game there via stubhub (unfortunately, the year AFTER we won there...although we were ahead at halftime...) and we kept getting emails from them...finally found a way to unsubscribe from their mailing list.

After all the stuff I've heard about how amazing & historic & impressive Phog Allen Fieldhouse is, I have to say I was really underwhelmed. We had to pass through metal detectors to enter a rather grimy outer concourse. Inside the arena were permanent bleachers for most of the seating, with folding wooden chairs for the big money area. The parking was expensive, but reasonably close. Just a ***** & a half to egress after the game...out of the fieldhouse, out of the parking lot, and out of the crowded neighborhood back to our hotel. The "museum" in the concourse was kind of cool, though.

I managed to rent a temp seatback (like we have at Jack Trice), despite my telling them that NO, I would not provide them with a doctor's note referencing my scoliosis, but it took a couple of hours of finagling on the phone and in person, and handing over my driver's license for them to hold until I returned the seatback. Apparently they normally only allow season ticket holders to rent them and they were doing me this big favor. Yeah - not so much. While I was discussing the situation with one of the people staffing the booth, the other was handing out both reserved ones for season ticket holders, and non-reserved for random ticket holders like me. The difference was, those random ticket holders were not wearing ISU gear. :D

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
I overpaid for basketball tickets down there a few years ago. At least I figured I probably did at halftime when we were down 15. Then we came back and won in overtime. Man was that worth every dollar. Seeing KU fans walk out shocked they witnessed a loss in person for the first time in 3 years for them. Also not having to hear Rock Chalk at the end. Probably my favorite day as a Cyclone.

Reactions: CTTB78

randomfan44

May 30, 2015
Perhaps they dropped ticket prices in anticipation of bad news?
They dropped ticket prices for the upper corners because last year (following their '18-'19 3rd place) they had more open seats in the corners and less demand for season tickets. Now factor in that there is this pandemic going on and ticket demand is likely greatly diminished. Better to get something than nothing.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
They dropped ticket prices for the upper corners because last year (following their '18-'19 3rd place) they had more open seats in the corners and less demand for season tickets. Now factor in that there is this pandemic going on and ticket demand is likely greatly diminished. Better to get something than nothing.
They certainly got the bad news and this price drop seems to be more than just in the crow's nests.

The school announced Tuesday that it will expand the number of pricing tiers from three to eight, including four levels that will be lower than they were last season. The new structure will drop the cost of tickets almost 45% for those who had tickets last year, and it will create a level of tickets at $500 for the upcoming season. FoxSports