Justin Smith

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
Hogue and his toothpick have achieved almost mythical status in my mind. Had I not seen it with my own two eyes, I could scarcely believe that such a badass thing would have truly occurred in real life. And it wasn't just a singular occurrence. He balled out almost every game with it. Imagine what kind of psychological turmoil it must have wreaked in the minds of opponents. "Did I just see what I think I did?" "That wasn't a.......was it?"
And while they contemplated the existence of the thing that couldn't possibly be there, and yet very much was there, Dustin would muscle out another rebound and dropkick some poor soul into oblivion.
Hogue is easily one of my favorite players of the modern Cyclone basketball era.

While we remember things like the toothpick or the drop-kick at WV, I was really amazed at Dustin's growth while at ISU. He was a rebounding machine as a JR, but as a SR really developed the 3 as a weapon, and then who can forget how he stepped up in the tournament when Niang was injured. He simply outworked many others on the court.

Reactions: Mr Janny

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
Hogue and his toothpick have achieved almost mythical status in my mind. Had I not seen it with my own two eyes, I could scarcely believe that such a badass thing would have truly occurred in real life. And it wasn't just a singular occurrence. He balled out almost every game with it. Imagine what kind of psychological turmoil it must have wreaked in the minds of opponents. "Did I just see what I think I did?" "That wasn't a.......was it?"
And while they contemplated the existence of the thing that couldn't possibly be there, and yet very much was there, Dustin would muscle out another rebound and dropkick some poor soul into oblivion.
Hogue is easily one of my favorite players of the modern Cyclone basketball era.

I've read this a number of times now. What/when exactly is the modern Cyclone basketball era? Is there a Cyclone football era?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I've read this a number of times now. What/when exactly is the modern Cyclone basketball era? Is there a Cyclone football era?
"relating to the present or recent times as opposed to the remote past"

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't know that it's anything official, but I'd say the last 10 years. Let's call it post-gmac.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines

I guess it depends on your age. For me it's the rebirth, when Johnny arrived.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
Pick.jpg

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Talked with him at the bars a couple times. Easily the most approachable Cyclone I ever ran across.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Give me a Hogue and Ejim and I would move the world.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I mean, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, and there is technically no correct answer, but... umm..... no.

I mean, I guess if the timeline starts with maybe, The Mayflower, then sure.

Just depends what definition of “modern” we’re using. But there’s no arguing Johnny was the major inflection point for the program.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
Anyone catch Bain's mail bag today? I ran out if free previews and I ain't paying for the day lol.

You should be able to have unlimited views if you access through his twitter.

Cliff Notes: Smith - Likely to provide his short list in coming days. He would be shocked if Iowa State is not on it. Sitting really well. Gach - Iowa State and Minnesota likely top two contenders due to proximity to his hometown. Nothing earth shattering. Probably a long shot he would stay in NBA draft.

Last edited:

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You should be able to have unlimited views if you access through his twitter.

Cliff Notes: Smith - Likely to provide his short list in coming days. He would be shocked if Iowa State is not on it. Sitting really well. Gach - Iowa State and Minnesota likely top two contenders due to proximity to his hometown. Nothing earth shattering. Probably a long shot he would stay in NBA draft.

Good summary, Bain basically just recapped what we have been talking about about on CF for the past week for their general readership.
As for Gach, I don't think he'll stay in the NBA draft but there would still be the risk if he doesn't get a waiver Both could go pro in a different league rather than sitting out. Bain should have added that possibility imo.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron