JTS Improvements - Want More

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
I like the looks of it. I think if it were more massive people would have a lot less issues with it. As the rest of the stadium has grown up and expanded, it's kind of been the last remaining piece. I think a good architect would be able to tie into (either physically or thematically) and make for a pretty interesting structure.
I will preface this by saying I am not an architect. The issue is the Jacobson building would cause significant sight line issues for those in the lower level as it sits if the seating was bowled. Maybe you could bowl in the lower level leaving the walkway for the teams. But the seats higher up will still probably have an impeded view. Could they turn the corner sharper to mitigate this? For the upper level run the seating a bit further towards the center, maybe to the edges of the jacobson building, and close the gap with the jumbo tron. Or run seating the entire way across (don't know if this is possible due to the support that would be needed) and stick smaller screens in the north corners.

Now this option next option would likely be much more expensive, but maybe less expensive than demolishing the jacobson and building new. Lift the Jacobson and Move it to the north a little, just far enough that if the north endzone were to be bowled in the back of the lower level seating would be equal with the south end of the Jacobson. Pretty much the same distance from the field as the sukup building in the south endzone is currently. You would do the upper level seating the same way as described above, bowl it in over the team walkways creating tunnels and close the gap with the jumbo tron. Again not sure how the support would work with the seating hanging over the walkway or if it would even be possible.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I will preface this by saying I am not an architect. The issue is the Jacobson building would cause significant sight line issues for those in the lower level as it sits if the seating was bowled. Maybe you could bowl in the lower level leaving the walkway for the teams. But the seats higher up will still probably have an impeded view. Could they turn the corner sharper to mitigate this? For the upper level run the seating a bit further towards the center, maybe to the edges of the jacobson building, and close the gap with the jumbo tron. Or run seating the entire way across (don't know if this is possible due to the support that would be needed) and stick smaller screens in the north corners.

Now this option next option would likely be much more expensive, but maybe less expensive than demolishing the jacobson and building new. Lift the Jacobson and Move it to the north a little, just far enough that if the north endzone were to be bowled in the back of the lower level seating would be equal with the south end of the Jacobson. Pretty much the same distance from the field as the sukup building in the south endzone is currently. You would do the upper level seating the same way as described above, bowl it in over the team walkways creating tunnels and close the gap with the jumbo tron. Again not sure how the support would work with the seating hanging over the walkway or if it would even be possible.
Moving a building like that would be more expensive than raising it and starting over.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
I like the looks of it. I think if it were more massive people would have a lot less issues with it. As the rest of the stadium has grown up and expanded, it's kind of been the last remaining piece. I think a good architect would be able to tie into (either physically or thematically) and make for a pretty interesting structure.
Sorry for such a bad picture. Screenshot of a video. The building from the plaza will have similar visuals as the Sukup.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.36.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.36.14 AM.png
    233 KB · Views: 141

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I didn’t hate it like some apparently but I can see the argument for it being out of place. I don’t think it will look awful. What is it even going to be used for now?
All of the administration offices are in there, now that the Olsen Building is pretty much gone, except for in our hearts. Marketing and the Cyclone Club offices were in the Olsen Building and have now relocated to where Heartland Hall (athlete dining room) was. It also has the visiting team and officials lockerroom in the basement now, which were in the Olsen Building.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Looks like the Olsen demolition will pretty much be done today.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Looks like the Olsen demolition will pretty much be done today.
Yes it does although my limited knowledge of demolition has had me wondering why it is taking so long to now thinking that they are moving much faster. I'm guessing there had to be pre-work on the inside we couldn't see that go them to this point and now it just all comes down.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Is

Yes it does although my limited knowledge of demolition has had me wondering why it is taking so long to now thinking that they are moving much faster. I'm guessing there had to be pre-work on the inside we couldn't see that go them to this point and now it just all comes down.
More room to maneuver vehicles around helps speed it up.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Is

It's old enough to warrant asbestos concerns which, of course, would delay any demo.

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
I think my dream situation would be a building mirroring the new training center on the east side of the new stadium plaza with athletic administration, offices, visitors locker room. The plaza would have a P&L-ish feel to it then since it'd be closed off on three sides. Practice facilities for basketball/volleyball could be built behind it too, allowing them to be closer to the training table/dining hall in the west facility.
Eu7nM3HXMAEaMXc

Last edited:

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I think my dream situation would be a building mirroring the new training center on the east side of the new stadium plaza with athletic administration, offices, visitors locker room. The plaza would have a P&L-ish feel to it then since it'd be closed off on three sides. Practice facilities for basketball/volleyball could be built behind it too, allowing them to be closer to the training table/dining hall in the west facility.
Eu7nM3HXMAEaMXc
Don't you dare mess with those high donor parking spots!

I agree that would look really cool.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I think my dream situation would be a building mirroring the new training center on the east side of the new stadium plaza with athletic administration, offices, visitors locker room. The plaza would have a P&L-ish feel to it then since it'd be closed off on three sides.
Eu7nM3HXMAEaMXc
I've always thought that if they were to move the administration offices due to add seating in the north end zone, they would put them in the new 100+ yard long press/suite tower building that would be going along with adding the seats.

CYTUTT

Nov 25, 2012

This is a good point and begs the question, what is the theme of the Jack? Should we follow one?

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Would love to see concrete supports surround the current structure for the NEZ video board. Not only would it look awesome, it would not hurt should another derecho show up.

Something should be done to beautify the NEZ video board. It's an eyesore as is. The Jacobson building doesn't bother me much.

• Disagree
Reactions: VeloClone

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Maybe make the supports look like cardinal and gold (or black and gray and white) tornados? Maybe that would be weird.

It doesn't have to be that intricate or flashy. I'd just like to see the interstate sign supports covered in some way. Kinda baffles me that people have issues with the Jacobson building being out of place but not the monstrosity that hangs over it.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
It doesn't have to be that intricate or flashy. I'd just like to see the interstate sign supports covered in some way. Kinda baffles me that people have issues with the Jacobson building being out of place but not the monstrosity that hangs over it.
The video board doesn’t actually look that bad. The problems with the Jacobsen building and the press box is their proportions are way off. It is that simple. The Jacobsen building actually looks decent IMO it just doesn’t fit there.