NBA: Jordan vs Lebron

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
It sounds terrible to put it all on one thing, but to your point above is why I take MJ. A razor thin margin requires the tiniest bit of evidence to sway in one direction. Case in point: LeBron lost his claim to ever be the GOAT imo when his Heat team lost to the Mavericks and how he played in that series in the last few games. That is still the only Finals where he had no business losing. The other losses he had the inferior team, but MJ doesn't lose in the Finals to a team like that Mavs team (Dallas was a good team playing well at that time, but there was nothing special about them).
Neither does Larry, Kobe or Magic :)

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
LeBron James is the Jim Brown and Emmitt Smith of the NBA.

Michael Jordan is the Barry Sanders and Walter Payton of the NBA.

Both are obviously great players.... probably the two best ever in some order. But IMO LeBron is boring to watch, and like I mentioned before... I never turn on an NBA game just because LeBron is playing.... he's not that exciting to watch for me.

Jordan has the flair and the excitement. He has all the amazing moves, the creativity, the ultimate entertainer. I would tune into Chicago Bulls games all the time just to watch Jordan play because you might just see the most amazing dunk, or crossover, or pass, or block, etc that you've ever seen in your life. Barry Sanders and Walter Payton were like that for me also.

......... oh...... and don't forget.... Jordan showed up every night and played and took a beating. No taking several games off throughout the year to keep your body fresh like the guys do now. Lame.
Isn't LeBron more like Payton and Emmitt and Jordan more like Jim Brown and Sanders?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Isn't LeBron more like Payton and Emmitt and Jordan more like Jim Brown and Sanders?

Payton was a relentless worker, flashy, master of getting tough yards, making others better, etc. and probably outperformed his natural abilities. I'd put MJ in that category.

I'd put Lebron in a category with Terrell Davis before the injury for performance. Did all sorts of crazy good things and I loved watching him run but his style is pretty vanilla (but still powerful).

**side note man it sucked that TD hurt his knee.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I honestly think Jordan would average 40+ points per game in today's NBA.
It's possible.

Lebron's greatness is that in my opinion, his best attribute is his playmaking/passing ability, and he's also going to be the leading scorer in NBA history. It would be like if Magic Johnson became the all time leading scorer.

ATCy

Jun 3, 2015
MJ and Lebron can both be argued for 1A/1B - Saying Kobe was better than Lebron is laughable, Kobe wasn’t even the best player on his own TEAM for half his rings.
Yup and won the other 2 with guys like Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum. How many does Lebron have without Dwade, Kyrie, or Anthony Davis?

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'd be curious with today's culture of social media and athletes using their sports to be platforms for causes and politics how MJ would of handled things. He for the most part stayed out of the fray on anything controversial when he was playing and I don't think he enjoyed too much media attention or questions. As someone else mentioned he was obsessed with winning and I don't think he really cared too much about what else was going on in the world during the season other than keeping his focus on winning the game in front of him.

I think right now LeBron is probably more of a polarizing personality than MJ was when he was playing. MJ came off a very likable and didn't want to do or say anything controversial that would hurt his brand. LeBron is very outspoken plus has switched teams multiple times while publicly lobbying for other superstars to join him which is something MJ never did. While they both are great players in their eras they both played the game and handled themselves very differently too.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
Yup and won the other 2 with guys like Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum. How many does Lebron have without Dwade, Kyrie, or Anthony Davis?
How many does Jordan have without Pippen and later Rodman? Pippen almost took the Bulls to the finals the year MJ sat out.