J'Den Cox

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Thought this deserved its own thread, please merge if appropriate.

The story that is out there now is that Cox arrived at the facility around 7:25AM and was told by his coach, Kevin Jackson, that weigh-ins were 8:00-8:30.
At 8:04 he stepped on the scale a tenth or so over, worked out for a bit and at 8:13 was a tenth under.
The posted rules state that the weigh-in must be completed 2 hours before competition starts, which was 10AM.

If KJ was just Cox's personal coach, he may be out of luck. However, KJ also happens to be an employee of USA wrestling, so it could appear that J'Den
got his info from the org.

This whole thing sucks and as much as I don't think anyone should get special treatment, I also selfishly want to see Cox vs. Snyder.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
NBC Sports had an interview with J’Den during/after Olympic trials. He was unbelievably classy when describing the issue. So special!!

Reactions: buf87

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
He's always been classy. Two-time world champion, and arguably the best wrestler in the U.S. I can't believe this happened.

• Winner
Reactions: cyputz

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
He's always been classy. Two-time world champion, and arguably the best wrestler in the U.S. I can't believe this happened.
Maybe I’m too cynical but man, I just find it so hard to believe that an athlete at THAT level made a mistake that trivial in THAT kind of moment.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Maybe I’m too cynical but man, I just find it so hard to believe that an athlete at THAT level made a mistake that trivial in THAT kind of moment.
I find it hard to believe this has never happened before (in response to an "it's the rules" <end> argument)

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
If things worked out as SJC wrote, there should have been an exception made on the spot. This is P4P best wrestler the US has, and he was given bad information by a USA wrestling employee (which I think KJ is). On the other side, if true this is a terrible look for KJ.

crablegs

Mar 28, 2016
JDEN is a guy who lost a match at the last Olympics because he didn’t know what criteria was. He decided to stall the last minute of a match he was losing.

He is an amazingly talented wrestler, and an awesome person, but it does not seem that he takes the sport as seriously as most at this level.

If KJ gave him the wrong time, he should be fired immediately. This doesn’t remove blame from Cox, IMO. The blind leading the blind in this situation.

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
Showed up late, and missed weight. Pretty cut and dried.
His weight was where he wanted it to be. Very common for high level wrestlers such as himself to come in that morning couple tenths over. They want to get a good sweat and be at weight afterwards. Just a stupid communication/personal responsibility situation that should have never happened.

DrizzyCyclone

Apr 7, 2013
Let’s say Cox wins his appeal, what would happen? He didn’t have a bye straight into the best of 3 finals. I can’t see a way that he wins his appeal or has a chance to face Snyder for the spot.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
JDEN is...an amazingly talented wrestler, and an awesome person, but it does not seem that he takes the sport as seriously as most at this level.

I'm rather sure he does take it seriously or he wouldn't be a multiple world champion, NCAA champion and Olympic medalist. On the other hand, I'm not sure he would be competitive with all the Monday morning quarterbacks around here.

Last edited:

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I'd be curious to see what kind of schedule the athletes got for the trials.

...maybe they could set up a mini-tourney where Cox has to go through Kyven and Moore to get a shot at Snyder. If Cox loses to either Kyven or Moore, tourney over. If he makes it to Snyder, Moore and Kyven wrestle for the spot on the National team.

And the answer is yes, I do just want to watch more high-level wrestling.

matclone

Nov 13, 2016
Let’s say Cox wins his appeal, what would happen? He didn’t have a bye straight into the best of 3 finals. I can’t see a way that he wins his appeal or has a chance to face Snyder for the spot.
Had he been in the tournament, he would have started in the semi-finals, per page 1 of the Olympic trials thread.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz