It drove the media crazy

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
An actual buried story is that a conference got a 1 seed, a 1 seed, a 2 seed, and another 2 seed that was barely .500 in conference...and got absolutely obliterated other than one team that made the Elite 8.

Pac's underseeding was as big of a story. We need to shake up the way we select and seed teams. No conference is good enough that teams that are barely .500 should be getting 2 seeds while the regular season champion of other leagues are getting 5s and 7s. Net ranking said Ohio State was #8 with their paltry 12-8 league record so they get a 2 seed. Net ranking said Loyoyla was #10...but somehow no 3 seed for them. The ranking metrics have just become a way to favor pet teams and then ignore it for non-pet teams.

I really don't blame people if they don't want to promote Baylor as a champion since the school probably should have had its athletic department dismantled. I'd treat them similar to if I had to write a story about an organized crime syndicate that is known to be above the law. There are few better examples of why individuals and groups/corporations are absolutely nothing like each other than how Baylor's athletic department got away almost completely with running a rape ring and was basically free to just keep on running.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
An actual buried story is that a conference got a 1 seed, a 1 seed, a 2 seed, and another 2 seed that was barely .500 in conference...and got absolutely obliterated other than one team that made the Elite 8.

Pac's underseeding was as big of a story. We need to shake up the way we select and seed teams. No conference is good enough that teams that are barely .500 should be getting 2 seeds while the regular season champion of other leagues are getting 5s and 7s. Net ranking said Ohio State was #8 with their paltry 12-8 league record so they get a 2 seed. Net ranking said Loyoyla was #10...but somehow no 3 seed for them. The ranking metrics have just become a way to favor pet teams and then ignore it for non-pet teams.

I really don't blame people if they don't want to promote Baylor as a champion since the school probably should have had its athletic department dismantled. I'd treat them similar to if I had to write a story about an organized crime syndicate that is known to be above the law. There are few better examples of why individuals and groups/corporations are absolutely nothing like each other than how Baylor's athletic department got away almost completely with running a rape ring and was basically free to just keep on running.
Ok, ok. From a 10,000 feet level, I tend to agree with you.

Was Baylor the best team in college bb this year?

If you want to change topics, please start a new thread.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Ok, ok. From a 10,000 feet level, I tend to agree with you.

Was Baylor the best team in college bb this year?

If you want to change topics, please start a new thread.

Baylor is a more convincing #1 than most years.

People who view it with a little skepticism or distaste have every rational and moral reason to feel that way. It's kind of naive not to.

We're talking about how the media loved Gonzaga and they have always been a likable program...well there are valid human reasons to not randomly jump on the Baylor athletics bandwagon on the flip side of that.

I'm sure if I were covering this game I'd have come off as a huge Gonzaga homer even though part of me wanted people to realize how tough the Big 12 has been these past few years since it went to the 10 team format. A non-KU national champion to go with the other non-KU final four team finally does put a sock in that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I feel like this might be jumping the gun a bit. The big 10 was overseeded for sure. The pac 12 was underseeded. But a lot of this was due to a subpar data set due to fewer intra-conference games this year.

I add up the quantity of overseeded and underseeded by rounds per league almost every year.

A league being way overrated like the Big Ten was does happen, one league drastically outperforming its seeds the way the Pac 12 did this year is quite rare.

There needs to be questions asked like this:
Are there really 24+ teams that are better than a major conference outright regular season champ?
Does this one conference really have 50% of the top 8 teams?
Does a team that only finished 12-8 in its conference really need to be considered a top 8 team when the conference already has 3 other teams seeded even higher?

I feel like they just did a horrible job seeding this year when some basic questioning would have brought things closer to reality.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I add up the quantity of overseeded and underseeded by rounds per league almost every year.

A league being way overrated like the Big Ten was does happen, one league drastically outperforming its seeds the way the Pac 12 did this year is quite rare.

There needs to be questions asked like this:
Are there really 24+ teams that are better than a major conference outright regular season champ?
Does this one conference really have 50% of the top 8 teams?
Does a team that only finished 12-8 in its conference really need to be considered a top 8 team when the conference already has 3 other teams seeded even higher?

I feel like they just did a horrible job seeding this year when some basic questioning would have brought things closer to reality.
Love the comments guys.......I really do, but it doesn't change that there was media bias. It was blatant.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Love the comments guys.......I really do, but it doesn't change that there was media bias. It was blatant.

I agree the national media wanted Gonzaga to win and didn't hide it much.

It was a lovable program against a criminal syndicate, it's not surprising.

I also think Gonzaga has grown a bit of a national bandwagon fanbase with sustained success and Baylor definitely does not have that, nor would ISU or almost any other non-blue blood program.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County

What you’re not taking into account is that the Big Ten is an absolute meat grinder and the teams are so worn out from playing top notch competition day in and day out that their worn out by tournament time.

(this is an argument I’ve actually heard the last couple weeks)

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
.....to say that Baylor was the better team and deserved to win.
Well now the pxp & analyst on TV ...Just go by seedings and preconceived notions about these teams. Think about thee (intentionally misspelled)
UCLA BRUINS A TEN SEED PLAYING IN THE NATL SEMI FINALS. They thought the same thing about them....

On paper they thought Gonzaga was the better team, I thought that IF BAYLOR COULD SHOOT THE THREE'S AND PLAY GREAT DEFENSE THEY COULD BEAT GONZGA....but NOT by Sixteen Points.

From now on anybody who SEZ THAT SCOTT DREW IS A BAD COACH HAS ROCKS IN THEIR HEADS...

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
What you’re not taking into account is that the Big Ten is an absolute meat grinder and the teams are so worn out from playing top notch competition day in and day out that their worn out by tournament time.

(this is an argument I’ve actually heard the last couple weeks)

Actually I was surprised just about 20 minutes ago, those ESPN radio guys were talking about if Gonzaga had to play in the Big 12 this year and play twice against Baylor, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Texas Tech, Texas, etc., there is no way they go undefeated. So, I was glad to see some national media, and ESPN in particular, actually admit that the Big 12 was the true "meat grinder" this year. They didn't actually say that, but by using the Big 12 as the conference that Gonzaga would have struggled in, yeah, that's what they were saying.

Help Support Us

Become a patron