ISU vs Iowa

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ok just left Hilton. My takeaways:

- Iowa is ******* tough. There is not a lot of shame in that final score. They will be #1 come Monday with Cael st losing.
- The fight was there at most weights. Chase deserves some props for fighting hard.
- Colbray......... what. in. the. hell.
- David Carr is going to be an absolute Legend. I left a bruise on my old mans back slapping him after that one. That was awesome.
- I still haven’t figured out what happened in Degens Match and need someone to explain to me what they said on tv so I know how pissed I need to be. He looked stuck from where I was but maybe it didn’t matter because they would call it off because he stepped out of bounds before he caught the touchdown pass?! I mean serious. Wtf.
- Also, I am worried that more experienced guys are figuring out how to wrestle Jarrett but that’s nothing new. He still is always one move away from funking you up.
- when the crowd was into it, man was it fun. I hope there’s a couple more of those against Okie St and UNI.
- I think we are still getting into shape which is ok because it’s fixable but damn that needs to not be as big of an issue as I believe it was today.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
Ok just left Hilton. My takeaways:

- Iowa is ******* tough. There is not a lot of shame in that final score. They will be #1 come Monday with Cael st losing.
- The fight was there at most weights. Chase deserves some props for fighting hard.
- Colbray......... what. in. the. hell.
- David Carr is going to be an absolute Legend. I left a bruise on my old mans back slapping him after that one. That was awesome.
- I still haven’t figured out what happened in Degens Match and need someone to explain to me what they said on tv so I know how pissed I need to be. He looked stuck from where I was but maybe it didn’t matter because they would call it off because he stepped out of bounds before he caught the touchdown pass?! I mean serious. Wtf.
- Also, I am worried that more experienced guys are figuring out how to wrestle Jarrett but that’s nothing new. He still is always one move away from funking you up.
- when the crowd was into it, man was it fun. I hope there’s a couple more of those against Okie St and UNI.
- I think we are still getting into shape which is ok because it’s fixable but damn that needs to not be as big of an issue as I believe it was today.

Degen locked hands at the beginning of the exchange. Because of this, all his points after that are negated. Even if they had called a pin, they would have gone back and changed it all due to the locked hands.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Degen locked hands at the beginning of the exchange. Because of this, all his points after that are negated. Even if they had called a pin, they would have gone back and changed it all due to the locked hands.
I get that. But why wasn’t the match stopped? And why did he get to keep his riding time? Especially since they added the time back on the clock?

• Useful
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Looked like Iowa was better conditioned. Maybe that's just because they were just more talented. I'm guessing that Brands used last years match as big motivation for this season. I don't watch enough wrestling, but just seemed like other than Carr we are not on the same level... yet.

Last year was a bit of an aberration, or perfect storm. Iowa had the worst issues with early season sickness and injury the program has seen, we won some close ones very late, and picked up an injury default in a match we trailed. Not that you’re wrong, but the point spread at nationals and today are more indicative of the difference between the two programs vs last years dual.

Despite the lopsided team score I dont consider today too be a complete disaster.

Parker gutted it out but needs too be better then that

Degen needed more offense but his two previous matches vs Lugo were also very close.. Im biased but that coulda been a pin
Of course Carr did great
Straw got double legd but he scored a td

I want too trash colbray but brands has stout head hands defense and the td in OT was a tad lucky. Colbray got 47 seconds of RT. Brands rolled his way too a clutch escape

This will be an unpopular opinion but even though it made things goofy and confusing the Degen call was correct—you can’t lock your hands there and without the locked hands he likely gives up a reverse. Anything that happened after the locked hands is irrelevant.

Yeah right, are you kidding me, fire poor Dresser who has no ammo when compared to the top 10 wrestling programs in this country....Not a chance.....Im behind poor ol Dresser whether it is for better or worse or worst....GO Kevin GO get'em...and remember Go Cyclones

Yeah I think/hope that was sarcasm. Dresser is a great fit here and will keep improving the program. Never been a huge fan of the staff he hired but they are fine, too.

OOTClone

Jan 3, 2017
I get that. But why wasn’t the match stopped? And why did he get to keep his riding time? Especially since they added the time back on the clock?

They kept wrestling because the head ref didn't see it. They let the position finish out, then went back to review. The assistant ref called the locked hands. The RT was a mistake if he was able to keep it.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
They kept wrestling because the head ref didn't see it. They let the position finish out, then went back to review. The assistant ref called the locked hands. The RT was a mistake if he was able to keep it.

RT was stopped when locked hands was signaled.

pancake

Nov 19, 2017
Despite the lopsided team score I dont consider today too be a complete disaster.

Parker gutted it out but needs too be better then that

Degen needed more offense but his two previous matches vs Lugo were also very close.. Im biased but that coulda been a pin
Of course Carr did great
Straw got double legd but he scored a td

I want too trash colbray but brands has stout head hands defense and the td in OT was a tad lucky. Colbray got 47 seconds of RT. Brands rolled his way too a clutch escape
If you listen to Dresser's press conference he said Parker has missed the past couple weeks of practice due to an injury, so I think he will be much better than that when he gets healthy.

There are some positions we need to improve on. It's early, we will be a lot better come March!

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
If you can't lock your hands than how does a cradle happen?

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
Was pissed off earlier, but I’ve mostly cooled off.

Unfortunately, Iowa is very good. Title contenders/favorites for at least the next two years.

Bottom half of our lineup is tough. Would be even tougher with Gomez, but at least they wrestle hard and can go with the best.

Top half is pretty miserable to watch right now. I know that Nelson Brands is good, but that is an absolutely unacceptable loss by Colbray. Cannot happen, especially in Hilton.

Nobody else in the upper weights and shown blatant signs of improvement from last year.

However, I do expect a successful season and a much better performance in March. Just frustrating right now. Not the end of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz and stuclone

Matrat

Feb 11, 2018
I agree. Rule always was locked hands allowed for pinning combination, which is exactly what happened almost as soon as he locked hands. Don’t understand that.

• Agree
Reactions: BigD

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

you can not lock your hands (can’t even allow them to brush each other in fact) while in the mat unless you are locking in a move for a pinning move. If you don’t have something going to back them, they hands can’t touch.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Last year was a bit of an aberration, or perfect storm. Iowa had the worst issues with early season sickness and injury the program has seen, we won some close ones very late, and picked up an injury default in a match we trailed. Not that you’re wrong, but the point spread at nationals and today are more indicative of the difference between the two programs vs last years dual.

This will be an unpopular opinion but even though it made things goofy and confusing the Degen call was correct—you can’t lock your hands there and without the locked hands he likely gives up a reverse. Anything that happened after the locked hands is irrelevant.

Yeah I think/hope that was sarcasm. Dresser is a great fit here and will keep improving the program. Never been a huge fan of the staff he hired but they are fine, too.

I agree on the locked hands but I thought he got that last takedown myself

• Agree
Reactions: jmb1498

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Simple answer is there are times where you can lock your hands legally. Cradle/near fall situation and if opponent is on feet.

What’s crazy about locked hands is how fast the little ones like my 9 year wrestler tend to understand it but I’m always slightly confused by it