Iphone XS Max Water Damage

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I dropped my iPhone in the lake. It was in four feet of water for maybe 10 minutes. I got it out. Dried it out in a baggie with some silica packs I had laying around. It worked briefly. Then went black and now lights up and shows me my lock screen. The dialogue box showing in the lock screen says it needs updated before it can make or receive calls or use data. If I plug anything into it, it says "unlock phone to use accessories." When I use a search box on my Apple TV it tries to bring up the keyboard on the phone (but the screen is locked). The touch screen is fried, doesn't work at all. I can get it to the lock keypad with the button but the screen doesn't work like I said. The back on the phone had some cracks in it so I'm sure it wasn't water resistant. I suspect it's shot, and I think it was backed up the night before I dropped it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing. What's the likelihood of being able to get into it simply to salvage pictures if they weren't backed up. I'll get a new phone. That doesn't bother me but if it turns out not to be backed up wondering how much effort to put into recovering pictures etc.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Have you checked what is on the cloud? Generally you get a small portion free. I upgraded for a buck a month and get enough to handle 3 phones worth.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
I had a big enough Icloud account but apparently didn't have that phone syncing pictures, or at least not that I can tell

mywayorcyway

Mar 1, 2012
Phoenix
I dropped my iPhone in the lake. It was in four feet of water for maybe 10 minutes. I got it out. Dried it out in a baggie with some silica packs I had laying around. It worked briefly. Then went black and now lights up and shows me my lock screen. The dialogue box showing in the lock screen says it needs updated before it can make or receive calls or use data. If I plug anything into it, it says "unlock phone to use accessories." When I use a search box on my Apple TV it tries to bring up the keyboard on the phone (but the screen is locked). The touch screen is fried, doesn't work at all. I can get it to the lock keypad with the button but the screen doesn't work like I said. The back on the phone had some cracks in it so I'm sure it wasn't water resistant. I suspect it's shot, and I think it was backed up the night before I dropped it. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing. What's the likelihood of being able to get into it simply to salvage pictures if they weren't backed up. I'll get a new phone. That doesn't bother me but if it turns out not to be backed up wondering how much effort to put into recovering pictures etc.

Having dealt with the before as the better half loves to drop things in water, the phone is probably cooked. You MAY be able to get data from it, but do not attempt to turn it on any more. Had you not turned it on after drying it out, your chances of recovery would have been improved. Of course, almost no one knows that until after they've dunked it, dried it out and tried to turn it on.

Recovering the pics yourself will be a challenge. If you really want to get something off of it, take it to a repair shop and see if they can do anything with it. It doesn't have to be an Apple store.