Iowa Tickets

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
I attended games in Ames and Iowa city for probably 20 years, through about 2012. I stopped going to CyHawk games because of the fans from both sides. Drunken college kids screaming and getting in peoples faces. If anyone thinks it’s an issue with one fan base they are delusional.

There is one simple cause. At least in Iowa City, six home games a year the fans are there primarily to watch a game. They have fun, but then they go in and watch the game. For CyHawk, at both stadiums, there are thousands of fans who show up with no tickets with the intent of getting drunk and having a party. Most of them are 20-25 year olds who haven’t yet grown up. Even if they have tickets they end up passed out before the game.

My advice, stay home and watch the game in HD. Drink your own beer and eat your own food. Sell your tickets to an idiot college student.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I attended games in Ames and Iowa city for probably 20 years, through about 2012. I stopped going to CyHawk games because of the fans from both sides. Drunken college kids screaming and getting in peoples faces. If anyone thinks it’s an issue with one fan base they are delusional.

There is one simple cause. At least in Iowa City, six home games a year the fans are there primarily to watch a game. They have fun, but then they go in and watch the game. For CyHawk, at both stadiums, there are thousands of fans who show up with no tickets with the intent of getting drunk and having a party. Most of them are 20-25 year olds who haven’t yet grown up. Even if they have tickets they end up passed out before the game.

My advice, stay home and watch the game in HD. Drink your own beer and eat your own food. Sell your tickets to an idiot college student.
Hard to disagree with you. The lots before the games at Jack Trice are literally crawling with Hokroaches. None of which ever get in the game. They walk around carrying warm 12 packs of Billy Beer (dating myself here). Idiots.

crs8975

Aug 14, 2013
Lakewood, CO
Fans are fans.... every fanbase has some that take it too far. That being said, ISU fans are far classier and respectable.
I completely get this point, but I feel like that "some" when it comes to Iowa fans is 100x more. I haven't lived in Iowa since 2008, having moved all around this country for my job(s). Literally every location, I've had folks from their fanbase come up to me out of the blue in public and drop some sort of "f*** the Cyclones" in an incredibly obnoxious/threatening way. And it's not just the white trash I expect from their fanbase. It's professionals. Most recent example, a buddy introduced me to a lot of his finance coworkers at his company. All were cordial except for one when he found out I went to ISU. Instantly started being a d**k. And this is all unprovoked. I didn't know where an ISU hat in public was so threatening to big brother.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
"I didn't see it, so it didn't happen" and "It never happened to me, so it didn't happen" are asinine arguments.

I've been to Kinnick a dozen times. Half of those visits included unprovoked verbal barrages (including one by a 70-year-old usher, for some reason), and probably one-third included some type of projectile towards me or my group. My crime was wearing an ISU shirt.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
"I didn't see it, so it didn't happen" and "It never happened to me, so it didn't happen" are asinine arguments.

I've been to Kinnick a dozen times. Half of those visits included unprovoked verbal barrages (including one by a 70-year-old usher, for some reason), and probably one-third included some type of projectile towards me or my group. My crime was wearing an ISU shirt.
Were there hawkeye fans in your group?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I was in Iowa City for the last game. A friend had tickets and offered one to me. Unfortunately, one of the people in his group "had a friend who was hosting a tailgate." He had all sorts of trouble getting hold of him and finding the tailgate. When he did, it was in a driveway far back off Melrose in the depths of Hokroach Nation. Essentially, it was a bunch of Tavern Hoks, except they probably were too cheap to pay for beer at a tavern. It was the least fun I've ever had at a tailgate. And it wasn't that we were mistreated because we were wearing Cyclone gear. It was just lame.

Well, as the clock ticked down toward kickoff, I noticed that nothing was changing. I wanted to be in the stadium, but no one had made any move toward shutting down the tailgate or going toward the stadium. Then, it dawned on me. These are Tavern Hoks! They aren't going to the game because they can't afford the donation and tickets! Finally, we left and made it to the game by kickoff, but I vowed "Never again to tailgate in the depths of HokRoach Nation."

If I ever go again, I will probably rent an apartment's entire parking lot and resell spaces to Cyclone Nation, so that I don't have to tailgate with Hok fans.

theiacowtipper

Sep 6, 2010
Hard to disagree with you. The lots before the games at Jack Trice are literally crawling with Hokroaches. None of which ever get in the game. They walk around carrying warm 12 packs of Billy Beer (dating myself here). Idiots.
My last trip to Ames for CyHawk was with maybe 15 ISU fans on a school bus. Every one of those fans had no tickets and every one ended up passed out drunk before the game. It was the next morning before any of them were sober enough to go home. Again, this happens with both fan bases. Back when the lot off Riverside in Iowa City was open, I saw a young ISU fan, probably a student but maybe not, piss on an Iowa fans car. It happens. This is why I stay home. The stupid is simply too strong.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Only been to IC once, but I did get shot with a paintball gun from a downtown apartment when walking around in ISU gear. In the late spring. I suppose he's a big track fan...

Had an ex who claimed someone poured beer on her while tailgating there. Heard plenty of other horror stories. I tend to believe them based off of some of my interactions with them when they come to Ames. I think my favorite was when we beat them in 2007 and I saw a TOE fan get kicked out of Mother's Pub and try to start fights on the street.

Still thinking of going to the game. My girlfriend doesn't believe some of the horror stories (she's from WI and a casual fan at that), and I'd like to give her some life experience. Probably just watch it at home though.

• Creative
Reactions: FatNTired

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Took my motor home there 01 or 02 game where JJ returned punt early in game for TD. I went face first into Iowa fans as I stood up to cheer, blasted on screwdrivers. Amazingly didn't get pummeled. 11 a.m. kickoff. Great game. We won. Didn't have a problem. Slept until 10 pm that night back in RV, ate, pulled in awning and levelers and 6 hours later home as sun was soon rising. What a trip.

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Is there a lot where Cyclones tend to tailgate?

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
I'm planning on going for the first time this year - my wife won an auction (from a hawk fan) for 5 tickets. It'll be my wife and I, her brother and both of our dads. All ISU fans to various degrees.

I'll be honest, after reading this thread (and others), I'll plan on wearing an outer layer that is at least black ISU gear if not neutral. Once in our seats, we should safely be able to switch to our red ISU stuff right? It's a little crazy to say, but from a safety perspective, I'll feel less safe going to that game than just about anywhere I've ever been.

Normally I wouldn't go, but since I've never been before and we were able to get cheap tickets... I already don't plan on never going back. I've been to KU, KState, and WVU and nothing but good experiences (minus a single dude at WVU).

• Dislike
Reactions: SolarGarlic

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
I went my senior year and I honestly didn't have any issues wearing cardinal at a tailgate or at the game. Yea there was some "F*** State" and other ribbing and vulgar speech but that doesn't bother me. Maybe it helped we had beat them 3/4 years so there wasn't much you could say to us.

Iowa City is a fun town and their bar scene was awesome with the ped mall and smoked ours, or did circa 2014/15.

• Agree
Reactions: SolarGarlic

Help Support Us

Become a patron