Iowa prep sets national record

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Wayne's (Corydon) Clayton Kiefer broke a national record in last night's game against Twin Cedars (Bussey), scoring 11 touchdowns (10 rushing, 1 KOR) in an 86-60 win. In case you couldn't tell by those numbers, it was an 8-man game. They played last night because of inclement weather that postponed the game from last Friday night.

That mark set a new national 8-man record for touchdowns in a single game, breaking the previous mark of 10 that was held by something like 8 players (including three from Iowa). I'm sure most of you don't care or might not give it much credence because it's an 8-man record (and it definitely doesn't stack up against Jason Scales scoring 9 times against Mason City), but scoring 11 touchdowns in a game is pretty damn impressive, even in an 8-man game.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...y-wayne-running-back-clayton-kiefer/16497729/

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
I played 8 man for 3 years in high school. So much more fun than 11 man. 11 touchdowns is impressive no matter what level or how many people are playing.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Serious question, how many 8 man players play CFB at the FBS/FCS level? talent is talent but it's gotta be really hard for college coaches to evaluate.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
Small school>>>>>>>>>>>>big school
na man more hot chicks,more parties, more friends at a big school. I kind of don't like playing in 4A because Valley dowling and wakuee dominant in like every sport.
edit: one think I like the most about my HS is we get our own Laptop for the whole school year.

Last edited:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I would absolutely hate going to a 4A school. When I went to Wayne, we were still a 1A/2A school in every sport, including football, so there were quite a few more kids there when I was. But I would hate the idea of seeing someone new every day at school. I loved knowing everyone and having very tight-knit groups of friends that didn't require everyone in the group be on the football team (or some other extra-curricular).

I definitely don't want to raise my family in a 4A community. There are a few 3A schools that I wouldn't be unopposed to sending my kids to one day, but 2A or smaller is ideal, IMO.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Serious question, how many 8 many 8 man players play CFB at the FBS/FCS level? talent is talent but it's gotta be really hard for college coaches to evaluate.

I don't know of very many, and I certainly don't know of anyone outside of kids who either played 8-man in Iowa or came in from out of state to play at ISU/Iowa. Nate Meier (starting DE at Iowa) played at Fremont-Mills and was one of the players who shared the 10-TD record that was broken. Tyler Blum (Walnut) was a blue-chip recruit but injuries derailed his career at Iowa before it really even got started.

Kiefer isn't a D1 player by any stretch (he's only 5'7" and 160 pounds), but he could probably play at the DIII or NAIA level. I doubt he will, though; he's just the latest in a family of good football players at Wayne, and his older brothers both stayed on the farm after graduating (they're all home-schooled). His younger brother is a junior on the current team, too. All great, humble kids (the oldest son was a couple years behind me in school and was my quarterback junior and senior year), and they love football. But they'd rather work the farm than go to class to play football (which is understandable, since they'd go back to farming once they got out of college, anyway; going to school for another four years would only be to stay eligible for football).

cmjh10

Dec 5, 2012
Buffalo Center
Serious question, how many 8 many 8 man players play CFB at the FBS/FCS level? talent is talent but it's gotta be really hard for college coaches to evaluate.

Didnt ISU recruit one this year?

Also, Chad Greenway played 8 man in high school

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
In my opinion, unless you're going to play sports in college, smaller schools offer a better HS experience. However, larger schools offer much greater academic opportunities you may not get at a smaller school.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, you think that until you go to college, and realize the big school kids have a 1+ year advantage in you in your classes.

Some of them might have more credits coming in, but they don't often have a significant leg up in terms of actually being prepared for college. I knew plenty of kids who went to big schools, and they faced just as big of an adjustment as I did in terms of how to succeed academically in college. Maybe they're a little more prepared to handle the social adjustment of college, but not so much the academic aspect.

bigdaddykane

Mar 3, 2014
how does 8 man work?
I know someone who goes to a 2A school and it seems really boring and usually there isnt much to do in a small town.

ISU42

Sep 21, 2009
IMO, that is the only downside, and even then, thats more of a individual person thing

School is what you make of it so agreed on the individual thing. Half of the 24 kids in my class graduated from a major university and most of the other kids did 2 year programs. Have a doctor, 2 lawyers, and a managing editor of a well known magazine.

ia8manfan

Apr 12, 2006
Philadelphia
Dallas Clark played 8 man too I believe.

Back on the small school vs big school debate, I guess it depends on the school. My wife and I both came from small high schools (<50 students/class), and while I almost dropped out of engineering because it was vastly more difficult, she was able to quickly adjust to an organic chemistry degree. We were both top 3 in our respective graduating classes. My high school didn't cater to those who wanted to go to college, just those who wanted to stay home and work at the local McDonald's/hardware store/hyvee. And it was evident. I think I was the first engineering graduate my high school saw in a 5 year period of time.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
It all depends. No chance in hell you are getting me to live in a small town, but I grew up in the city.