Interesting Article About Raiding the PAC-12

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
For those of you who have a subscription to The Athletic, here's the link:
https://theathletic.com/1652568/202...oregon-washington-arizona-arizona-state-ucla/

For those who don't subscribe, it was a well written piece that makes the case to begin the discussion about adding six teams from the west coast. The AD from USC is apparently open to the idea, especially when you consider the amount of money they could make from a merger. I'd fly out to see Iowa State play in the Coliseum or the Rose Bowl.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
I'll bet West Virginia would really love that. I suppose that there would be east and west divisions but still there would be cross-division contests.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Andy Staples was among the reporters practically giddy at the potential demise of the Big 12 years ago. Gets a little tiresome watching the national voices for the sport cheerlead for all this conference expansion, then a couple years later complain that all the old rivalries are gone.

If it didn't put us at a disadvantage, I'd be fine with showing some restraint and working to entrench the long-term stability of the Big 12 rather than trying to raid other leagues. I wouldn't wish what we went through in the early 2010s on any other fan base outside Waco.

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
Hey, CF braintrust, will the possibility of athletes being paid for likeness, etc. swing the pendulum back in favor of big market west coast teams? Will it happen soon enough to quell the disintegration?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Hey, CF braintrust, will the possibility of athletes being paid for likeness, etc. swing the pendulum back in favor of big market west coast teams? Will it happen soon enough to quell the disintegration?

Doubtful it will happen everywhere. The state of Iowa has a bill in the senate already that would allow it.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Heard them talking about the article on the Big 12 station on my way home, and then read the article. I am all for it, I have thought for a long time adding the Arizona schools would be good for the conference, this would be better. Go to 16 schools, and set them up in four team pods. For BB play all the pod teams twice and the other school once, give you 18 games. For football, play your pod schools each year, one protected opponent, that gives you 4 games and then all the school from one other pod every 2 years home and home, and then switch to the next pod.

Say the ISU pod is ISU, OU, WV and KU, our protected school is TT. ISU plays those four schools each year, and then you rotate the other pods. So the 3 pod schools and protected school equals 4 games, other pod gives you 8 total, and if you want play 2 of the other pods to get you too 10 conference games.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Heard them talking about the article on the Big 12 station on my way home, and then read the article. I am all for it, I have thought for a long time adding the Arizona schools would be good for the conference, this would be better. Go to 16 schools, and set them up in four team pods. For BB play all the pod teams twice and the other school once, give you 18 games. For football, play your pod schools each year, one protected opponent, that gives you 4 games and then all the school from one other pod every 2 years home and home, and then switch to the next pod.

Say the ISU pod is ISU, OU, WV and KU, our protected school is TT. ISU plays those four schools each year, and then you rotate the other pods. So the 3 pod schools and protected school equals 4 games, other pod gives you 8 total, and if you want play 2 of the other pods to get you too 10 conference games.

This may well be the best argument I've ever seen for remaining at 10 teams.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
This may well be the best argument I've ever seen for remaining at 10 teams.

Status quo means that the conference is always at the whims of Texas and OU, if they ever decide to leave to join the Big 10 or SEC, then ISU very well could be on the outside looking in. By raiding the Pac 12, the conference is set for years to come, ensuring that ISU is always a P5 school.

After what the athletic department went through 10 years ago, and the possibility that ISU could be forced to move to a G5 conference, not only is it silly to oppose such a move, its plan stupid.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'll bet West Virginia would really love that. I suppose that there would be east and west divisions but still there would be cross-division contests.

WV is able to leave anytime they chose too, and go to the American Conference or any other that will take them. But leaving also decreases their TV money from 38 million a year to 3 to 5. I think they will suck in up and stay. If not, then you invite CU or Stanford.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Please no. It's been working great the way it is. Few duds for matchups in football season and you play every team in the conference every year. 10 is working great. Unless you tell me we are going to blow the whole conference structure up and go to regional divisions like a pro sports league I dont want any more changes. The more times we play musical chairs the more likely it is ISU gets left without a seat.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I hate realignment. Life is good now until it isn't seems to be the life of an ISU fan in all of this. As much as I like our current setup, I get that the always present fear of the tides turning back against us always looms. It just sucks always having to disseminate between what is preferable and what is best for the conference moving forward.

• Disagree
Reactions: WhoISthis

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I hate realignment. Life is good now until it isn't seems to be the life of an ISU fan in all of this. As much as I like our current setup, I get that the always present fear of the tides turning back against us always looms. It just sucks always having to disseminate between what is preferable and what is best for the conference moving forward.

I guess @WhoISthis completely disagrees that I just hate personally having to deal with realignment. Didn't know I was even throwing out an argument to be had. Good to know lol.

• Funny
Reactions: aauummm

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Do the presidents of some of the PAC12 even care if they can’t compete with the other P5’s? I get the impression that conference is fine with inclusion via emeritus status.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I guess @WhoISthis completely disagrees that I just hate personally having to deal with realignment. Didn't know I was even throwing out an argument to be had. Good to know lol.
Cheer up! I love realignment and there’s nothing but a bright future looming for ISU. It’s come along ways since ISC days. Did I hear they’re tearing down Oaks?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron